Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics > The Mighty Reviews

Old 07-21-2005, 01:22 PM   #11
madjazz
Defender of The Defenders

Props to Buffy, the best written show that WAS on television. I came late to the table on the series and can vouch for how great it is.

I posted something on the Defenders before. I will paste it in this section later.
madjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 01:33 PM   #12
Aarrgghh!!
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

OK, so Daredevil has been outted, has taken out Wilson Fisk and has taken over as Kingpin of Hell’s Kitchen.
-----------------------------------------------------
What the?? I stopped reading DD at issue 50 and this is what was going on then. Bendizz needs to have something happen in a book, just rename it Matt Murdock the Comic without Daredevil, yawn!
Aarrgghh!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 01:37 PM   #13
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarrgghh!!
OK, so Daredevil has been outted, has taken out Wilson Fisk and has taken over as Kingpin of Hell’s Kitchen.
-----------------------------------------------------
What the?? I stopped reading DD at issue 50 and this is what was going on then. Bendizz needs to have something happen in a book, just rename it Matt Murdock the Comic without Daredevil, yawn!
This is Bendis's "swan song" or whatever, so there will be a new creative team soon. One could hope for JR jr and Ann Nocetti again...
Sam Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 01:38 PM   #14
MiamiLoco
BD is the best (and I'm not talkin' about Bowen Designs)!!!

Don't be Bendis hatin'!!! :P
MiamiLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 01:42 PM   #15
madjazz
Defender of The Defenders

[Paste from my post on another thread]
Giffen, DeMattis, and Maguire are absolutley brilliant. After a few aborted attempts by Marvel to bring back the Defenders over the years, I can't believe we finally have one that comes close to recapturing the old magic. I was concerned about the art based on the cover, but the interior art was perfect (I do wish Silver Surfer was not drawn to look like an anime version of Domino).

The dialogue was great. Stuff actually happened between the start and the end of the first issue. We get the original 4 heavy hitters, Dormammu, Nightmare, and mentions of Devilslayer and Gargoyle. This issue is worth the price just for the interchange between Doctor Strange and Silver Surfer on the beach. Giffen and DeMatteis both had successful stints as writer on the original Defenders series and so far have left me no doubt that they can rekindle and sustain the feel of that book.

I did not like the message from the editor where he lumped Nighthawk, Valkyrie, Hellcat, and Son of Satan in with the likes of Cloud. I have no issues with not wanting to use these characters in this 5 issue mini-series, but if they do another book, I'd like to see some of these characters worked in.

This issue is B.A.D. and Long Live the Defenders!
[Additional]
The conversation at the beginning between Doctor Strange and Nightmare is the funniest exchange that has been written in comics this year. I loved the part where Nightmare was talking all noble about being influenced by the goodness of man, etc. before turning on the sneer and talking about enlightened self-interest. I almost laughed out loud the first time Nightmare takes Doctor Strange to task for calling Wong his "man-servant".

Pick up this book. You will not regret it.
madjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 01:47 PM   #16
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLoco
I actually really like him. Alias and the Pulse are two of my favorite books, his DD has gotten totally stale though, it's time for him to let it go...
Old 07-21-2005, 01:50 PM   #17
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjazz
I did not like the message from the editor where he lumped Nighthawk, Valkyrie, Hellcat, and Son of Satan in with the likes of Cloud. I have no issues with not wanting to use these characters in this 5 issue mini-series, but if they do another book, I'd like to see some of these characters worked in.

I really, REALLY wanted to see Valkyrie in this book. Ghah, kinda of a bummer that the editor doesn't care for her...

I'm with you mad, I hope to see her (and the rest of 'em) in a future series...
Old 07-21-2005, 01:52 PM   #18
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLoco
now, go to my reviews for the benizz hating!
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 02:45 PM   #19
JR2
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Gotta disagree about the Defenders. As much as we all harp on Claremont and Byrne trying to relive their glory days, I see nothing different about what Giffen, DeMattis, and Maguire are attempting to do with the Defenders. Yes, levity is nice. Giving the Defenders the "Super-Buddies" treatment is not (If you have no idea what I'm talking about pick up the last 4-5 issues of JLA Classified.). Well at least not in my book.

As a member of B.A.D. I'm going to stick this one out. I gotta say though, I was seriously disappointed.
JR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 06:45 PM   #20
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

As per out tpb reviews, what are your favorite alternate timeline/future stories? We were considering JLA Earth 2, and Hulk the End, but ultimately went w/Kingdom Come and Days of Future Past. What would you guys pick?