Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 05-21-2019, 01:26 PM   #211
Nugchompa
Captain Marvel

I cant get anything to pop up either. Oh well. All energy flows according to the whims of the Great Magnet. What a fool I was to defy him.
Nugchompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:48 PM   #212
Josado
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
Doesn't pop up for me and I use chrome.
Same here. Oh well. lol
Josado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:12 PM   #213
COI

So this piece is really flying under the radar.

Not much talk about it, which is surprising to me because I think it's one of the most gorgeous things I've ever seen. Better than Aspen, IMO.

I get that it doesn't look like Turner's art, but this is a stunning rendition of the character, and IMO Turner's art style doesn't lend itself well to bigger scale statues. I think trying to replicate it would've resulted in something far less stunning than this.

I'm getting it, no question. And sign me up for Kiani too.

Last edited by COI; 05-31-2019 at 08:14 PM.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:14 AM   #214
BrandonJF
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
I get that it doesn't look like Turner's art, but this is a stunning rendition of the character, and IMO Turner's art style doesn't lend itself well to bigger scale statues. I think trying to replicate it would've resulted in something far less stunning than this.
I'm not sure why you'd think Turner's style wouldn't lend itself to larger scale statues. Aspen wasn't an exact match, but it did end up being close enough for me to be able to consider it a "Michael Turner" representation.

The problem with Grace is I am less of a fan of the character than I am of Turner (same applies to any of the Aspen characters). An attempt to replicate Turner's art style would've resulted in an easy sale from me.

If I were a fan of the character, I would not care. That character has been drawn more often by people other than Turner, so I don't begrudge them not using his art style.
BrandonJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 09:54 AM   #215
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJF View Post
I'm not sure why you'd think Turner's style wouldn't lend itself to larger scale statues. Aspen wasn't an exact match, but it did end up being close enough for me to be able to consider it a "Michael Turner" representation.

The problem with Grace is I am less of a fan of the character than I am of Turner (same applies to any of the Aspen characters). An attempt to replicate Turner's art style would've resulted in an easy sale from me.

If I were a fan of the character, I would not care. That character has been drawn more often by people other than Turner, so I don't begrudge them not using his art style.
Agreed. Aspen was very Michael Turner-esque. She was basically the closest to MT while still making her look like an actual woman. Grace, while beautiful, has no Turner qualities at all. In fact, much like Starfire, she looks more like a cosplayer. Plus, they left out her signature weapon. No buy from me.
NorthernLadMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 12:42 PM   #216
Sonic Boom
The Green Hornet

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernLadMSP View Post
Agreed. Aspen was very Michael Turner-esque. She was basically the closest to MT while still making her look like an actual woman. Grace, while beautiful, has no Turner qualities at all. In fact, much like Starfire, she looks more like a cosplayer. Plus, they left out her signature weapon. No buy from me.
Yes, but the artists at SSC are superior to the original artists like MT, Jim Lee, etc. You will accept what SSC gives you and like it.
Sonic Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 02:05 PM   #217
Demona
Martian Manhunter

I don't think this looks like a cosplayer as much as Starfire does. This just looks to me to be more in the Mike Debalfo Grace era. Fuller face and body, but SS toned down the enormous breasts that Debalfo likes putting on all his females.

I think this statue still hold onto hints of comic art. For that, I love it a lot more than Starfire.

I'm still holding out hope for a Witchblade from SS and an Angelus from XM.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 02:29 PM   #218
Atlantisatdawn
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
I don't think this looks like a cosplayer as much as Starfire does. This just looks to me to be more in the Mike Debalfo Grace era. Fuller face and body, but SS toned down the enormous breasts that Debalfo likes putting on all his females.

I think this statue still hold onto hints of comic art. For that, I love it a lot more than Starfire.

I was interested in your post, especially the part about sideshow making her breast smaller, I think that is a good thing, I thought new red sonja was nice looking, but her breast where too big in my opinion, I'm a ass man anyways
Atlantisatdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 02:39 PM   #219
Lonewolf65
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantisatdawn View Post
I was interested in your post, especially the part about sideshow making her breast smaller, I think that is a good thing, I thought new red sonja was nice looking, but her breast where too big in my opinion, I'm a ass man anyways
I think Sonja's boobs are perfect just as they are, but you are right it is unusual for them to shrink them on a figure,
Lonewolf65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 03:32 PM   #220
Josado
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post

Wouldn't mind seeing a Magdalena too.
Josado is offline   Reply With Quote