Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics > The Mighty Reviews

Old 09-22-2006, 08:18 AM   #21
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
Is anyone getting the sense that Spiderman is about to go through a serious metamorphosis? I mean, for the longest time, Spidey has been treated like a teenager by most of the heavier hitters in the Marvel Universe like Reed, Iron Man, and Cap. What's bizarre about that is that Spidey has lived through so much, faced countless adversities and generally came out on top. However, his character rarely grew or evolved as a result as Marvel kept writing him as a teenager. This is one of the reasons why I haven't been able to enjoy Spidey all that much lately because it seemed like no matter how much they threw at him, he didn't seem to mature all that much through his experiences. Life doesn't work that way at all. Peter has long deserved a maturity boost in how he's written.

Tony treats Peter like such a chump. He patronizes Peter to the point where you begin to wonder if both of them have lost all sense of reason. I mean, Peter may be insecure but he's not that insecure. And, Tony may be manipulative and bossy but not to this degree.

All this to say that I wonder if the Civil War storyline seems geared to (finally) make a definitive leader out of Spidey. I get the feeling that there is a huge role he has yet to play... He's definitely about to burst... I think when all is said and done, the Marvel Universe will stop seeing him as a meddling seemingly immature superhero.

Any thoughts?
I sure hope so star... Peter is capable of so much more as a character. He's brilliant when he wants to be and is not a dumb as most play him... thank in part to himself cracking-wise all the time.

I hope that the signs we are seeing in Pete truly are a prelude to him turning over and helping Cap turn the tide and end the war...
Old 09-22-2006, 08:27 AM   #22
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
Tony treats Peter like such a chump. He patronizes Peter to the point where you begin to wonder if both of them have lost all sense of reason. I mean, Peter may be insecure but he's not that insecure. And, Tony may be manipulative and bossy but not to this degree.
I was talking to another forum member (miamiloco), and he said he felt Millar was pretty much bending this characters to do his will and writing them way out of character. I wonder how much people with that.

And its funny that Marvel's flagship character is seen as underused. Maybe it has more to due wiht Marvel not wanting to evolve peter too much to not upset the fan base.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 10:01 AM   #23
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sincity View Post
CW #4 in the top panel above the start of goliath's funeral.
who is the guy in the ski mask?
I asked the same question in my review. We'll know soon but some are projecting that he's the real Thor, based on his blue eyes. Dunno, though...
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 10:05 AM   #24
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_collector View Post
I was talking to another forum member (miamiloco), and he said he felt Millar was pretty much bending this characters to do his will and writing them way out of character. I wonder how much people with that.

And its funny that Marvel's flagship character is seen as underused. Maybe it has more to due wiht Marvel not wanting to evolve peter too much to not upset the fan base.
I disagree. I think Civil War is positioning Spidey for the breakout role he's been evolving into. Much of the reason why the rest of the Marvel U has treated him as a bit player is that he's been such a lone wolf (despite his Marvel Team Up years) and is so young compared to the other main stay heroes. Mr. Fantastic is one of the exceptions as he's clearly recognized Peter's science smart and even has enlisted his aid in the lab at times.

As far as being out of character and underused, he's recently been a member of the Avengers and, in my opinion, the entrie Civil War drama is built to revolve around Spider-Man as Cap and Iron Man move and shift positions, it's Peter who is and will be the center of the storm. I believe things will get worse for Peter before they get better but that he will emerge in a role he may not be comfortable with, as one of the focal heroes among the Marvel heroes in the Marvel U.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:08 AM   #25
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Wolverine

Hey Dawg, just finished Wolverine and all I can say is "Whoa!" Peope who aren't reading this are missing what seems to be the dirty underbelly of the origins of the entire Civil War conflict. Not only that but it was great to see a Marvel book FINALLY make use of the Flatiron Building in one of their stories. This is architecturally one of the most famous and unique buildings in NYC if not the whole country and I had a huge grin cross my face when I saw it as Damage Control's HQ.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:49 AM   #26
Leon
WHITE & NERDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
I disagree. I think Civil War is positioning Spidey for the breakout role he's been evolving into. Much of the reason why the rest of the Marvel U has treated him as a bit player is that he's been such a lone wolf (despite his Marvel Team Up years) and is so young compared to the other main stay heroes. Mr. Fantastic is one of the exceptions as he's clearly recognized Peter's science smart and even has enlisted his aid in the lab at times.

As far as being out of character and underused, he's recently been a member of the Avengers and, in my opinion, the entrie Civil War drama is built to revolve around Spider-Man as Cap and Iron Man move and shift positions, it's Peter who is and will be the center of the storm. I believe things will get worse for Peter before they get better but that he will emerge in a role he may not be comfortable with, as one of the focal heroes among the Marvel heroes in the Marvel U.
Didn't Joe Quesadilla said last week that Spidey was going back to his black suit some time soon? So he's far from done with in this whole mess I guess.
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 10:52 AM   #27
Leon
WHITE & NERDY

Quote:
He Dawg, just finished Wolverine and all I can say is "Whoa!" Peope who aren't reading this are missing what seems to be the dirty underbelly of the origins of the entire Civil War conflict.
I just read the last 4 issues where Wolvie is hunting down Nitro. This is Wolvie at his best folks! Really enjoyed it.
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 11:26 AM   #28
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Léon 't Hoen View Post
I just read the last 4 issues where Wolvie is hunting down Nitro. This is Wolvie at his best folks! Really enjoyed it.
And as the Dawg pointed out, we're now seeing another side of the hunter, tracker, killer Wolverine. This issue shows the covert agent Wolverine. Great, great well rounded handling of a character who's been treated two dimensionally for too long by too many.
Old 09-22-2006, 11:29 AM   #29
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

Quote:
I asked the same question in my review. We'll know soon but some are projecting that he's the real Thor, based on his blue eyes. Dunno, though...
some are also projecting it's the PUNISHER Joe... he's the only major player as of yet to be introduced... I want it to be thor but... shouldn't he be bigger?
Old 09-22-2006, 11:31 AM   #30
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

Quote:
the entrie Civil War drama is built to revolve around Spider-Man as Cap and Iron Man move and shift positions, it's Peter who is and will be the center of the storm. I believe things will get worse for Peter before they get better but that he will emerge in a role he may not be comfortable with, as one of the focal heroes among the Marvel heroes in the Marvel U.
This is also 100% how I see things. Someone mentioned this point.

How can you say they are out of character when this whole thing is so new to them. Life and death (for real) battles with their friends and government and identity and freedom.

That to me is enough to make anyone act out of character.