Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics > The Mighty Reviews

Old 01-05-2007, 02:47 PM   #11
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Stunning! Actually, I'd never have guessed based on his Space Ghost and Punisher work that this was from Olivietti. The musculature isn't as exaggerated as I'm used to seeing from him.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 03:22 PM   #12
whd
Suicide Squad

Sam, I just picked up the new Manhunter TPB and I totally agree with you. A really interesting series. Both the writing and art kick ass! Hopefully this book will keep going for a while and will continue to be collected.

KDawg, FF: The End is definitely getting better as it goes along. I can't wait to see the Annihilus action that's coming in the next issue. I'm hoping this mini will end up getting the hardcover treatment, cause I'll probably pick it up again.

wktf, I'm afraid that I too thought that 30 Days was a bit overrated. Templesmith is a good painter, but I'm not sure that I would describe him as a good storyteller. I did like the concept. I think Niles did a better job with his 'I am Legend' adaptation.
whd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 03:25 PM   #13
whd
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
Heres the piece i got.
whd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 04:42 PM   #14
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

Quote:
Originally Posted by whd View Post
Sam, I just picked up the new Manhunter TPB and I totally agree with you. A really interesting series. Both the writing and art kick ass! Hopefully this book will keep going for a while and will continue to be collected.
Thanks whd, but unfortunately Manhunter is already on life support, it was supposed to be cancelld and was granted this last ark as a gratis of some sort, but Kate Spencer is in Birds of Prey now, so it's aiight. I guess.

ANd huh, I didn't catch that olivetti has been around, his PWJ stuff looks way different than his Silver Surfer, though that Surfer is very nice Bulls, did you get it from splashpageart?
Sam Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:07 PM   #15
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

I think i picked this up from them alright Sam. I'd need to check my paypal for sure. They have alot of his stuff there. All the Silver Surfer stuff seems to be gone but there was also a nice Galactus piece.

http://www.splashpageart.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=37

Last edited by Bullseye; 01-05-2007 at 07:09 PM.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:26 PM   #16
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
I think i picked this up from them alright Sam. I'd need to check my paypal for sure. They have alot of his stuff there. All the Silver Surfer stuff seems to be gone but there was also a nice Galactus piece.

http://www.splashpageart.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=37
splashpage is olevetti's rep, they have all of his PWJ stuff as well...
Old 01-05-2007, 07:30 PM   #17
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

OK gang, based on the Civil War #6 No Spoilers thread...

http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=41507

...I truly appear to be in the minority on this comic. Not that I mind that or am changing my opinion (it's my opinion, after all), mind you, but any thoughts around what in my review might not ring true for people?

Thanks!
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:44 PM   #18
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post

...I truly appear to be in the minority on this comic. Not that I mind that or am changing my opinion (it's my opinion, after all), mind you, but any thoughts around what in my review might not ring true for people?

Thanks!
joe, I know this will come off as generic and shameless promotion, but you know I'm with you as far as thoughts on Civil War go, yes I'm behind in reading but thus far what you say rings true to me, that's why myself (and I'm sure keith as well) turn to you to do the Civil War reviews. Word...
Old 01-07-2007, 03:59 AM   #19
Underdog07
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post

Thanks!
I think a lot of the distaste for issue 6 is that (1) it seemed like 8-10 separate 2-3 page comic arcs and bc of that how the F did it get delayed and (2) more importantly it seemed to do nothing towards pushing the series (spanning what 40 some odd issues?) to a resolution other then putting all the heroes/villains in the same room together to begin a fight. As I posted in the other thread the legislation which caused the civil war can not be affected by a fight.

So that led to a let down on this issue and, for most readers, forecasts a major let down or non-solution for the conclusion in issue 7.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 12:21 PM   #20
bat_collector
Galactus

Here I come!!!!

Ok, read Civil War last night. I liked it. Civil War is SOOOOOO much better than civil war it isn't even funny. but that isn't that hard, is it?

Ok, my here are my main disagreements:

Really bad continuity problems. Its seems the spin=off books (which are actually good vs house of M) are the real meat of civil war. Marvel is forcing us to buy the spin off issues, as I don't feel the main title does a good job at all of developing the story. And some things are just flat out contradictory. I don't feel Iron Man's side is being told, as each individual is putting a different spin on his character to fit their plot.

And I feel somehow, someway the mother of the slain child is somehow behind this all. She is obviusly manipulating Tony, who almost seems under a spell when he's around her.

Civil War especially paints Reed Richards and Tony Stark as cold, uncaring and self-absorbed. I don't see how these heroes can be doing all this creepy stuff (that only the liked of Lex Luthor is currently doing in 52) without some external manipulation. And, I have to say we've just spend the last two or three months of cap and iron man, as you put it, circling each other. MONTHS! I'm sorry but a few pages of character development really shouldn't make up for that. I'd rather have an Infninte Crisis, where things were going perhaps too fast, than the recent dialogue heavy events of HOM and Civil War (though civil war is much better).

I'd finally like to say I feel HOM and Civil War are prime examples of a story being told through web blogs and on line interviews of Joe Q hyping his crap up and spoilers and sneak peeks being releasd online than everyone getting together to tell a cohesive story. And the USELESS one shots didn't help.

Over-all, I'm more impressed with 52, which is a tight, cohesive self-contained story starring guys other thans bats/supes/wonder woman. And that's been released on time! And even more shocked how this title, along with a very good Justice, got shunned so easily by guys I've seen stick to lesser titles more fervently.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote