Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 03-13-2017, 01:42 PM   #1
protector2814
Phoenix

The Three Daredevil Satellite Books Being Publ. Right Now.

So Marvel's currently publishing 3, DD inspired, separate comics right now & I've read what's been put out so far. Wondered if anyone else was reading them & what they thought.

Bullseye by Ed Brisson w/ art by Guillermo has 2 issues under it's belt & while good, isn't really breaking any new ground with the character. Bulls is a mad-dog & the book continues to explore this angle. He comes out of self-induced retirement & spends pages killing folks.

Elektra by Matt Owens w/ art by Juann Cabal is stronger. It's a straight-up Elektra as assassin book w/ Natchios in Vegas spilling blood within a stronger feminist story-line than in the past. Great art in the 1st issue w/ a fun final page that will keep me coming back for #2.

Kingpin by Mat Rosenberg & art by Ben Torres is the best of the three & one I really recommend. Apparently, & we've seen it before, W. Fisk is really trying to go legit. He makes a play to get a down-on-her-luck, former Pulitzer winner newspaper writer to ghost-write his biography. Rosenberg is a NY reporter & he brings a writer's experience into the character of Sarah Dewey, the would be writer. As she scratches the surface of Kingpin, while she easily uncovers his philanthropic work, she also senses the man underneath. I love crime-fiction & when it's explored in comic form it often works (see Ennis' Punisher). This book is amazing & I haven't been as excited by a sleeper since King's Vision comic from last year. 2 issues deep, you should be able to find them both.

protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:13 PM   #2
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Thanks for the tip! I'll be sure to pick up Kingpin as well as Man-Thing from your other thread.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 02:44 PM   #3
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

I will definetly get The Kingpin (if they make HC editions of his series), he's my favorite Marvel villain. I don't know about Bullseye, when they give villains their own books, they turn those villains into anti-heroes. Suddenly the goodness in them comes out or something and i don't like that. You can say same goes for Kingpin but i always thought Kingpin is more than just plain evil. His love for his wife, how he wants to leave the mob life behind and everything. I like Elektra but i want the classic costume back
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 03:06 PM   #4
protector2814
Phoenix

You guys will love Kingpin. I'll bet on it. The last page in issue 2 is well worth flicking to next time you're at the lcs.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:21 PM   #5
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Knight View Post
I will definetly get The Kingpin (if they make HC editions of his series), he's my favorite Marvel villain. I don't know about Bullseye, when they give villains their own book, they turn those villain into anti-heroes. Suddenly the goodness in them comes out or something and i don't like that. You can say same goes for Kingpin but i always thought Kingpin is more than just plain evil. His love for his wife, how he wants to leave the mob life behind and everything. I like Elektra but i want the classic costume back
Same on her classic costume. I totally get having her costume match that of the Netflix show for brand recognition but, aesthetically,!its just not as good as her classic look.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:24 PM   #6
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Jerry, just finished the two issues of Kingpin and excellent call, thank you. It's off to a great start. I also love some of the throwback Miller/Janson type images of Fisk in a kind of retro way.

I thought Wesley had been killed by Fisk, though, back in the Miller days, for his part in the attack on Vanessa. Wasn't he?
Old 03-18-2017, 04:13 PM   #7
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Jerry, just finished the two issues of Kingpin and excellent call, thank you. It's off to a great start. I also love some of the throwback Miller/Janson type images of Fisk in a kind of retro way.

I thought Wesley had been killed by Fisk, though, back in the Miller days, for his part in the attack on Vanessa. Wasn't he?
You know Joe, I don't remember. I'll have to check. The Miller/Janson throwback vibe is spot on. This feels a little like a DD book from that era. Lots of writer/artist teams have tried, but I do think that Rosenberg/Torres have come closest, in these 1st 2 issues, to really create that feeling.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:52 PM   #8
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

My mistake. Just checked. The guy Fisk beat to death with his bare hands, in Miller's run, for what he thought was Vanessa's murder was Lynch.