Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
If only it was hand sculpted.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:44 PM   #362
COI

Quote:
I don't think that sounds weird at all considering how complex and detailed this piece. Knowing it was hand sculpted adds a bigger sense of appreciation of the painstaking attention to detail. Now before anyone jumps to defend digital sculpting please know my comment is not a criticism of digital sculpts. I think they're fantastic and can be equally as detailed. Hand sculptures just resonate with me a little more.
Yeah, exactly how I feel. They both require skill, but there are things that are just much more arduous to do by hand.
COI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:37 AM   #363
omigeo
Alpha Flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
It was going to be a bust this was as far as I got before my PC went down with a virus. I plan to start again sometime in the near future.

And thank you, I put quite a few hours into that and was enjoying it. Hopefully the next one is just as good if not better.

This really came out nice. The colors used are great as well
omigeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:49 AM   #364
DPmaster
A conclusion is simply the place where you got tired of thinking.

Definitely more time consuming when hand sculpted. I think hand sculpted statues are great. With that said, I do know the last hand sculpted statue by Sideshow got ripped to shreds. People were/are hating on it like there's no tomorrow.
DPmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 09:50 AM   #365
omigeo
Alpha Flight

Ok I've started an off topic here, sorry about that...back to the swamps..hehehe.

That Swamp is a gorgeous thing
omigeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 10:34 AM   #366
Ryanbusts
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by COI View Post
Yeah, exactly how I feel. They both require skill, but there are things that are just much more arduous to do by hand.
Ryanbusts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:11 PM   #367
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
I don't think that sounds weird at all considering how complex and detailed this piece. Knowing it was hand sculpted adds a bigger sense of appreciation of the painstaking attention to detail. Now before anyone jumps to defend digital sculpting please know my comment is not a criticism of digital sculpts. I think they're fantastic and can be equally as detailed. Hand sculptures just resonate with me a little more.
Agreed with everything you said.

In fact, I don't know if it's just me getting older or what but lately I have really started to have a greater appreciation for handmade objects or even objects of more substantial quality. Knowing that someone has gone through a real process to create something gives it an extra effect. Even say furniture that is made out of a single piece of wood. It also adds to my appreciation for these statues. Because yes some may have a larger ES, but these are still collectibles that go through a process of someone sculpting them either by digital or hand - I too have a real appreciation for hand sculpts. And even despite production happening in a factory, I still think it's wild they are all hand painted by a real person. In a world where everything is cheaply mass produced by machines, any product which is made by human hands is pretty great.
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:19 PM   #368
Parallax
Nightwing

The only reason I would say I prefer hand sculpting is because you are less likely to lose detail as you might with 3D prints. It also allows you to see what would and wouldn't work as far as dynamic poses go. That being said, digital sculpting is great for certain characters like Spider-Man that have super intricate details on the suit that need to be perfect. Swamp Thing is supposed to look messy and tangled up. Spider-Man is supposed to be covered in even, webbed lines. Even if you're amazing at sculpting, it'll never be as perfect as a digital sculpt can do.
Parallax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:52 AM   #369
Choopie
Birdman

I'll take hand sculpting over digital rendering any day. I appreciate the "rawness" of something done by hand, flaws and all. Artists leave behind a bit of themselves in the piece that they create.

Swamp Thing is on the list of potential orders. But I have a feeling he'll be way above my price range.
Choopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 11:26 AM   #370
bdlovelace
Hellfire Club

Yeah, probably $1200 to $1400, which is mind-boggling when you stop and think about it.
bdlovelace is offline   Reply With Quote