Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 09-26-2014, 01:14 PM   #1
lchunleo
Fantastic Four

How to prevent sculpt from being spoilt

Hi all,

Currently i had been sculpting a piece and noticed that due to my finger print, i tend to undo areas that i had previously sculpt and i had to redo them again. how can i prevent these sculptured area from being "spoilt" from my finger? pls advise thanks.

i remember quite some time ago, i read somewhere about baking the parts in different timing but i unsure how to approach it as i tend to do adjustment here and there and somehow i can't able to stop from revisiting parts that i had previously sculpt to refine them..pls advise.
lchunleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 06:06 PM   #2
Scote
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

mm could you define the material you're using? baking oil-clay it's not a good idea and because you don't specify we can't help you.

Are you using sculpt tool? the best way for not getting finger prints is to sculpt with tools..
Scote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 12:09 PM   #3
lchunleo
Fantastic Four

thanks for your reply.

i am using super sculpey intending to boil it. yes i am using sculpt tool besides my fingers. rephrasing my question, i wish to hold on to the sculpting lines or features that i had made but i tend to ruin it when i sculpture other places as my fingers will be holding to the piece.

can i do the sculpting in phases?
Old 09-27-2014, 12:57 PM   #4
lchunleo
Fantastic Four

and one more question, it is a norm to sculpt a bit, boil a bit, sculpt a bit, boil a bit? or all in one shot?

it is ok to add other materials to it after it has harden? i intend to add accessories to the sculpt piece after it has boiled but true adhesive is one thing to take note..
Old 09-27-2014, 11:19 PM   #5
Scote
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Mm for me I sculpy in Y2-Klay or Casteline and Cx5. I can't bake it. so I can't answer sorry
Scote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 11:28 PM   #6
law1349
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

I take a heat gun and semi-harden the spots I'm finished working on. I usually don't completely harden it just in case I change my mind, like you said. I just try to get it hard enough to not show fingerprints or deform while I'm holding it. Even if you've hardened a section, you can sand it or carve it away and just add more sculpey as needed.
law1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 03:57 AM   #7
rgm501
Death is hereditary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by law1349 View Post
I take a heat gun and semi-harden the spots I'm finished working on. I usually don't completely harden it just in case I change my mind, like you said. I just try to get it hard enough to not show fingerprints or deform while I'm holding it. Even if you've hardened a section, you can sand it or carve it away and just add more sculpey as needed.
the problem with that method is the centre of the sculpt is still soft and sometimes just by holding the sculpt its own weight can cause it to shift cracking all the semi cooking surface area.
I would strongly recommend not to sue this method..

Ichunleo,
when using super sculptey most people build a stand that attaches to the wire armature, eliminating the need to hold the sculpt in the first place.

if you have to hold the sculpt, i suggest to block out your sculpt, fully bake it rock hard then add to the sculpt and bake areas as needed.
I would always bake over boil, you always get a much better result.
rgm501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 01:07 AM   #8
lchunleo
Fantastic Four

thanks scote, rgm501 and law1349 for your kind response to my queries. Sorry have been busy lately to reply.

i did not actually use a stand, i just build the armature and drill a hole on the wooden board and attach the armature's leg to it. But i think it is not a good design as it tends to wobble which i will need to address to.

thanks for your advise, maybe i have to try the heat gun approach to heat it to certain "hardness" to avoid the details going off, but that will be a challenging one as not to heat up those unintended portion

will feedback after i try it out this few days...