Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 04-24-2015, 07:52 AM   #1
SDguy

Question Pinstripe painting help

Hoping to get some ideas here. I'm having a color version of the DC Direct Arkham City 1/6 scale Joke made. Everything is just about done, and he looks great. But, we are having a heck of a time doing the pinstripes on his suit. Some stripes run a good 6+ inches in length, at only 1mm or so thick. How to get a consistent line? Obviously a brush won't cut it, when having to stop, add more paint, then restart the line mid way. Is there a tool of some kind, like a pen or something, that could supply a constant and consistent about of paint during the entire run of a single stripe? Obviously the stripes on the original aren't perfect, in thickness or straightness, so hand applied should still be fine?

Any ideas are appreciated.

Pics for reference...

The original grey toned version:

WIP color version:
SDguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 06:18 PM   #2
SONICobra
Batman

you would have to do them in steps due to how thin they are but the best i can think of is using 1/8" masking tape. you can get the yellow kind from tamaya at hobby lobby. you should probably be able to get the entire thing done in two stages - mask the whole thing, paint, mask it again but moved over one stripe paint again. hope that makes sense
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:48 AM   #3
SDguy

Thanks for the reply!

So you are suggesting the only way to do this is with masking? If you look at the grey version pics, they are clearly hand painted. So I am just wondering, which is better. It's going to be tough to mask those folded knee areas.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:40 PM   #4
SONICobra
Batman

its going to be tough either way, im a perfectionist so if I were going to do it I would mask it. you might have to do the knees and other areas with folds separately (I would do those by hand, by that time youll have the stripes already lined up). all depends on how picky you are
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:40 AM   #5
SDguy

Thanks for all the info.
Old 04-28-2015, 03:46 PM   #6
Astounding
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

I'm normally a big fan of masking wherever it can be properly achieved. But I wouldn't go that way with pinstripes. All the contour makes it almost impossible to get decent results. And the consistency of 1/8" stripes (or any other dimension) goes right out the window on the distortion of fabric that is wrapped, squashed and stretched over a body, whether actually or simulated in a sculpt. The only way I have ever achieved believable pinstripes is to hand paint them over the base color, then cut back in with the base color,... back and forth between the two colors. Keep it washy and thin at first. Once you get it mapped the way you want you can opaque it rather easily. It's a pain for sure, but I know of no other way do get good results in a pinstripe. I used to do this on sports figures and referee jerseys. Believe me, I wish there was a good solution with a paint pen or something. but it never works the way you want it to. 2ยข
Astounding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:26 PM   #7
SDguy

Thanks for the help... yeah, unfortunately this seems like it's going to be a bit of a pain in the ars.
Old 04-29-2015, 11:13 AM   #8
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Masking is the best bet for painting. Another option is using white decal sheet. You can get blank white decal sheets used for orinting custom decals. But it sill be difficult cutting so many strips of consistent widths. Plus being that narrow and thin, the strips will be fragile and easy to break.

I'd hate to say it, but the best masking method is to paint the suit the pinstripe color and then using very narrow masking or chartpak tape for the pinstripes and then paint the purple. Of course this method works better when the subject is smooth and not with that herringbone texture. If airbushing it might bleed under the masking as the paint follows the texture in a capillary effect.

The factoryi stripes look handpainted and doesn't follow the underlying herringbone texture. I think you did a great job already and I skip the pinstripes.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 07:44 PM   #9
Astounding
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

I too noticed that the pinstripes don't align with the herringbone texture. I would advice following the herringbone with your pinstripes unless this will not work for some reason (hard to see the pattern properly with the stripes overlaying it). It should look better matching the pattern and the pattern will provide a guide for you to paint by. If the pattern is inconsistent I suppose the stripes would end up looking odd. I also agree that the texture is going to be a masking nightmare. There is bound to be a lot of bleeding into that texture. This just reinforces my position on hand painting the pinstripes. Although I would agree with jedi_don that on a more regular surface, I would far prefer painting the stripe color first, masking, and then painting the main color - I often use this technique, not just with stripes.

Last edited by Astounding; 05-02-2015 at 07:45 PM. Reason: clearing up detail in wording
Astounding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:28 AM   #10
SDguy

Thanks for the input, guys. The herringbone texture is spaced way to close together, compared to the source material pinstripes. Frankly I don't even know why they did the texture AND pinstripes, neither of which have anything to do with each other

May we can try painting every other herringbone stripe? I'll let you guys know what happens...