Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 02-10-2016, 07:16 PM   #1091
supermetroid
Teen Titans

Wasn't there a poster that used to post X-ray pics of statues? It's actually a great idea to see where/if the rods are.
supermetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:18 PM   #1092
AlizAbef
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
im having a hard time understanding how people don't find this concerning??? im not a ss hater by any means, in fact I would say im a ss fanboy - but this is pretty irresponsible IF this was intentional. realistically the only explanation that makes sense to me is that its a mistake, theres no way they would engineer this piece with no metal support rod. even straight up museum poses have metal rods where the statue inserts into the base. not having one on this statue (supported on one foot with a heavy lean) makes zero sense

again - hopefully this is a one off, a fluke occurrence and others are supported with metal rods
It wouldn't surprise me in the least if all the newer, more dynamic statues Sideshow puts out are all this way. It would explain a lot of the tipping and leaning problems collectors have with their statues over time. I'm also sure that Sideshow banks on collectors not ever purposely breaking their own pieces just to see if there's corner cutting going on inside; however, if I were a millionaire collector, I'd sure as hell break a piece or ten just so I can see what's going on. Whether or not it puts them on the hot seat, I don't care, but sometimes a company needs that exposure.
AlizAbef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:35 PM   #1093
gogo13
Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.

Doesn't SS read the forum and want to respond. Say this is mishap..an error ..SS could make a statement and state a rod is definitely suppose to be in side the leg..End all doubts

Just thought of simply solution to a x-ray test.

An Easier way to possibly test is to take a magnet and see if it adhere to the leg. No need for an X- Ray.. .

Especially with spiderman arm .. it so thin by the wrist if a magnet doesn't adhere no metal rod...

With DD go by the ankle... maybe use a stronger magnet if in doubt. No clinging to the statue no metal inside

Edit: maybe use a thin cloth to protect your statue paint before using the magnet.. We pay hard earn money for these statues..
gogo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:12 PM   #1094
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogo13 View Post
Doesn't SS read the forum and want to respond. Say this is mishap..an error ..SS could make a statement and state a rod is definitely suppose to be in side the leg..End all doubts

Just thought of simply solution to a x-ray test.

An Easier way to possibly test is to take a magnet and see if it adhere to the leg. No need for an X- Ray.. .

Especially with spiderman arm .. it so thin by the wrist if a magnet doesn't adhere no metal rod...

With DD go by the ankle... maybe use a stronger magnet if in doubt. No clinging to the statue no metal inside

Edit: maybe use a thin cloth to protect your statue paint before using the magnet.. We pay hard earn money for these statues..
If you have some Neodymium magnets, it should be relatively easy to figure out if there are metal rods in particular parts of the statue. This is especially true if you have some of the larger Neodymium blocks. You probably wouldn't even have to touch it to the statue. You should be able to tell just by holding it a couple inches from the statue. I purchased a bunch of those larger blocks a few years back, including 2 - 6" x 6" x 1" blocks. Those things are just scary dangerous when you get more than 1 next to each other. You can crush your fingers something fierce with some of the larger blocks.

Actually, now that I think about it, I am not sure how comfortable I would be holding one of those larger blocks up to one of my statues. Maybe not such a smart idea given how powerful those suckers are. A smaller sized block should do the trick. .
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 09:19 PM   #1095
Giantripod
Doh!

Poor DD, first Ben Affleck now magnets and X-ray machines.
Giantripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:12 PM   #1096
gogo13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
If you have some Neodymium magnets, it should be relatively easy to figure out if there are metal rods in particular parts of the statue. This is especially true if you have some of the larger Neodymium blocks. You probably wouldn't even have to touch it to the statue. You should be able to tell just by holding it a couple inches from the statue. I purchased a bunch of those larger blocks a few years back, including 2 - 6" x 6" x 1" blocks. Those things are just scary dangerous when you get more than 1 next to each other. You can crush your fingers something fierce with some of the larger blocks.

Actually, now that I think about it, I am not sure how comfortable I would be holding one of those larger blocks up to one of my statues. Maybe not such a smart idea given how powerful those suckers are. A smaller sized block should do the trick. .
Maybe a safer way .. a bit more inconvenient is lay your statue down and if you have strong/regular magnet and test the peg. The rod has to be embedded in the peg for support or a rod is sort of useless ..A rod just in the leg not extended past the foot is just as useless as no rod. The rod has to be in the peg to give support.

Edit: I'm not looking for any monetary compensation. I wanna keep my statue.. I just want a piece of mind.. I hope , SS .. please extend the warranty to 18 months to 2 years for structure issues only.. on this statue or statues with high potential leaning issues
Old 02-10-2016, 10:45 PM   #1097
savage.CAP
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Anybody remember the page number the photo is on?
savage.CAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:51 PM   #1098
gogo13

Quote:
Originally Posted by desvedd View Post

So... this happened. Watch out since all the weight it's supported by that tiny bit piece of material around the hole in his feet.

Id say dont put it in high places so if it brokes, chances are lower that the statue complety smashes against the floor.

Right now it's in a shop repairing and repainting (I hate that orange thing in his head)
pic1
Old 02-10-2016, 10:51 PM   #1099
gogo13

Quote:
Originally Posted by desvedd View Post
From the outside there was no way to know this. I believe it was, but not noticeable if you are not looking for it

This is a picture from the day I got it:

I dont know if it helps, maybe you guys can tell if mine was more inclined than yours.

I did not post this to cause panic, just to let know to any other collector that your Statue may be in danger of complety break if it drops, and it is in fact very poorly supported, so, if you can make any adjustment and take any precaution, do it.
pic2
Old 02-10-2016, 11:21 PM   #1100
labanog
A day without sunshine is like... night.

just curious are there any previous sideshow release that uses a steel rod inside?
labanog is offline   Reply With Quote