Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics > The Mighty Reviews

Old 05-12-2005, 09:26 PM   #21
Bartman256
The X-Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjazz
It is interesting to note that when John Byrne took over the FF, he chose Diablo as his villain in a story I seem to remember being called "Back to the Basics". Diablo is always interesting, and is one of the more under-used villains in the Marvel Universe. I enjoyed #525 and look forward to reading FF #526.

I think he would make a great looking mini bust!
Bartman256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 11:21 PM   #22
bat_collector
Galactus

Man, just finished reading gotham central. That did suck. Gotta agree wktf (thats twice today!), for an interesting start, this thing ended flat. It was like rucka forget to finish the issue and had to do it in five minutes.

Makes me want to get it off the subscription list.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 10:19 AM   #23
Babytoxie
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf
Just to ask this question again, has anyone else out there read Maus? Or thoughts/reactions to it? This was a groundbreaking and critically important series, even before it was compiled in a book, as Sam referenced.
I read it back in the early '90s. What I found interesting was that, even through Art Spiegleman used "funny animals" as his characters, I didn't even think about that fact when I was reading it. It did nothing to detract from the story, and I got the message. Amazing...
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 10:23 AM   #24
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytoxie
I read it back in the early '90s. What I found interesting was that, even through Art Spiegleman used "funny animals" as his characters, I didn't even think about that fact when I was reading it. It did nothing to detract from the story, and I got the message. Amazing...
Yeah, I remember trying to explain that to one of my Writing professors back in the day, and he just looked at me funny. But like wktf said, when you think about it for a second, the animals and the countries/cultures they represent are well chosen for that time in history.
Sam Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 11:17 AM   #25
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Yes, it's eerie when you think about it. Nazis as the vicious predador cats. Jews as mice, the weaker and helpless victims that the cats tend to torture before they kill. Poles as pigs, because of the vicious anti-Semitism that ran rampant in Poland that made capturing the Jews so easy and allowed the Germans to establish their death camps there. Americans as dogs, the hero-type creatures (man's best friend) who chase down and defeat the cats. Swedes as deer or elk, strong and independent. Really, it's genius storytelling.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 12:11 PM   #26
mwf6171
internet forum tough guy

Location: Gore/Aussie Land!!! well Kansas City, MO actually..
I have looked at Maus before, but never really got into it. Of course, if you listen to some people, those war crimes never took place. Hhhmmmmmmm, I wonder what happened to all those Jews.................

On a similar note, I have read Mien Kamf, and have to say that at that time in history, I can see how Hitler's sense of nationalism was able to take root in so many Germans. I think that if he weren't insane(or an Alien if you have read the Ultimates) he could have been a "good" leader.............don't take that statement wrong peoples.....I am just saying..........
mwf6171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 12:23 PM   #27
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Germany was torn to pieces from WWI and the depression. It took millions of marks just to buy a loaf of bread. The country was an economic disaster and people who had jobs were suddenly without work, money or food. Anti-Semitism was already strong in German at the time and the Jews tended to be the merchants and bankers who, it seemed, controlled the capital. This, however, was a stereotype and grossly inaccurate generalization. Hitler came to power with the charisma and the platform and a scapegoat that everyone wanted to persecute anyway. It was a convergence of forces that was like a force of nature.

Mike, Hitler was an insane despot and mass murderer. One of his primary objective in assuming power, in addition to world domination, was to wipe the Jews from the face of the earth. It's well documented in his own writings and if I can find the link I'll post it. There is simply no way I can accept that in any way, shape or form he could have been a "good" leader. He had all the great leadership qualities to motivate millions but the path he took was the only one possible for him. He was purely evil.

Here's one link, required reading on this topic: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...163708-1869765

Here's the link with the documentation from the original Nazi source material: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

Last edited by wktf; 05-13-2005 at 12:25 PM.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:32 PM   #28
mwf6171
internet forum tough guy

Location: Gore/Aussie Land!!! well Kansas City, MO actually..
Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf
Germany was torn to pieces from WWI and the depression. It took millions of marks just to buy a loaf of bread. The country was an economic disaster and people who had jobs were suddenly without work, money or food. Anti-Semitism was already strong in German at the time and the Jews tended to be the merchants and bankers who, it seemed, controlled the capital. This, however, was a stereotype and grossly inaccurate generalization. Hitler came to power with the charisma and the platform and a scapegoat that everyone wanted to persecute anyway. It was a convergence of forces that was like a force of nature.

Mike, Hitler was an insane despot and mass murderer. One of his primary objective in assuming power, in addition to world domination, was to wipe the Jews from the face of the earth. It's well documented in his own writings and if I can find the link I'll post it. There is simply no way I can accept that in any way, shape or form he could have been a "good" leader. He had all the great leadership qualities to motivate millions but the path he took was the only one possible for him. He was purely evil.
I agree with your first statement, this, IMO is how Hitler's ideals were able to take root in the hearts and minds of the German people.

Joe, not trying to get under your skin on this...I stated that IF he weren't insane and evil to the core, he could have been a "good" leader. However, he was insane and a dark entity, whose only concern was the pain and sorrow of others. Had he not been a dark entity, he could have done great things for the overall good of Europe. JMO, peace brother!!!
mwf6171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 12:36 PM   #29
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Mike, you're not gettting under my skin at all. Those two colosally huge "ifs" considering, you may well be right. I posted the source material I mentioned, by the way.

Peace back atcha, bro!
Old 05-13-2005, 12:39 PM   #30
Sam Wilson
Samurai Vato

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwf6171
Of course, if you listen to some people, those war crimes never took place.
Yeah, douchebags like Mel Gibson's dad. He needs to stop getting his history lessons from his dog spot or Alpha Centaru or wherever he gets them from.

As far as Hitler's leadership, he was just like any other dictator. The Taliban, Hussein, Stalin, they all swept into a economically deprived situation and took over with bullying tactics and fast talking, claiming to be for the common man when they were just waiting to rape their countries dry for all their riches. Dictators may raise their countries up a little, but for no reason other than to line their own pockets. Then these dictators become self-claimed gods and start killing all those they believe their world should be without. Like in Maus, a cat will always be a cat, preying on the weaker.
Sam Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote