Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 01-26-2015, 10:49 PM   #1011
MrYac
Hercules

eh, good enough for me. you liked the guys other movie so you think you'll like this one
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:20 PM   #1012
Spideristic
The Thunderbolts

I kept my optimism for the TMNT movie despite Bay's involvement, then eventually the trailer rolled and I was disappointed with the whole look of the characters and the aesthetics of the film. I was wrong being optimistic about that one and I chose not to watch it as it didn't appeal to me anymore.

We now just have to wait another two weeks for the trailer, then we all indeed can make a better assessment for The Fantastic Four.
Spideristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:29 PM   #1013
MrYac
Hercules

I look forward to watching it with you sir
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:53 PM   #1014
nexus
Young Justice
Adamantium Plus Member

My point has always been that this take on the Fantastic Four might very well end up being a good movie, I will probably go see it if it looks good. It just won't be a "Fantastic Four" movie. And I'm not just talking about the movie I see in my mind's eye when I think FF. From what I'm reading this version going to bear little resemblance to the classic series, Ultimate series, or any other version that Marvel has ever done. There will be the names, and the powers, and Thing will be a "rock monster", but otherwise it sounds more like they are using the Fantastic Four "brand" to tell a completely original tale.

While Marvel might have sour grapes about Fox not relinquishing the license, I don't think they would be as up in arms if the studio weren't going off in a completely different and virtually unrecognizable direction. As I mentioned above, if the movie is a hit it will present Marvel with a conundrum because it will make it difficult for them to cash in on the property through ancillary book, toy, collectible, and merchandise sales to the much broader domestic and international markets (potentially worth hundreds of millions of dollars in sales) unless they reflect what's on the screen. So that could be one of the reason why they are ending the FF for now, in order to wait and see. And of course Marvel is ticked that FOX is dumping on 50 years of cannon storytelling.

I have no idea what the movie is going to look like, if it will be good or not, how much was spent, etc. It's Fox's money to spend and their risk to take. The core Marvel fans represent probably less than 1/10 of 1% of the movie-going audience. Fox has already produced 2 FF films based on the classic team. Those mediocre films performed so-so at best, and certainly nowhere near the blockbuster level of the Avengers, Iron Man, Batman Trilogy, Guardians of the Galaxy, etc. So you can't fault them for trying something completely different. Conversely, even if the rights did go back to Marvel that's no guarantee it would result in a great FF movie. Although what it would do is help expand that universe.

Right now this is really an exercise in speculation, frustration, and optimism for FF fans. There are so many paths this could take.
1. The movie could be both very good and very successful. In which case FOX would celebrate, Marvel would have to scramble, and grumpy fans would have to put away their protest signs and decide whether or not they will end their boycott. And yes FF2 would continue full steam ahead.
2. The movie could be good or bad but only have middling performance pretty much on par with the other installments. In which case FOX might call it a day and hammer out a deal with Marvel.However even if that happened, I doubt Marvel would fast track an FF movie. Instead they might introduce the Fantastic Four in The Avengers: Infinity War. They might establish the team in a few scenes. It would be a great way to set up Phase IV. And fanboys/fangirls would rejoice and exclaim "I told you so". And maybe secretly catch it on DVD and say "Hmmm, it wasn't so bad for what it was, just not the FF."
3. The movie could be fair to terrible and tank at the box office. In which case a few heads at FOX might roll, and after some posturing they would quietly hammer out a deal to revert the rights back to Marvel/Disney.
Fox could also just stubbornly hold on to the license regardless of the scenario.
4. One other possibility occurred to me today after reading the article on a potential live action X-Men series. FOX might try the same with Fantastic Four. Given the economics of TV these days, as well as the quality and relative affordability of TV-level special effects it could end up making a lot of sense and FF could look great on the small screen. It's even possible they could go the DC route and separate the TV universe from the movie universe. FF and X-Men can share the TV universe if conceived that way from the get-go. FOX could even use TV rights as a bargaining chip for turning the movie license back over. They'd probably get a nice influx of cash and would have a clear field for at least 4-5 years until FF hit the big screen.

At the end of the day, the business is about making money. I'm sure Fox is running the numbers and looking at contingencies. They are in the driver's seat.

Marvel made the deal when they were on the brink of bankruptcy. Now that they are riding high, part of Disney and flush with cash they still can't touch two of their most prized properties (three if you count Spiderman, but that might be changing). That's the way it goes.

So for now, strap in and see where the ride leads. It's just a movie.
nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 12:29 AM   #1015
Spideristic
The Thunderbolts

If the movie bombs and the rights do revert to Marvel, there will be no FF movie at least until 2020. Like the upcoming X-Men series, Fantastic Four TV series could also have great potential. Hopefully the success of Daredevil will lead to more similar TV projects based on other Marvel properties.

I only read the first year of the Ultimate Fantastic Four. Like many, my fondness for the FF universe is mainly from the Jack Kirby era followed by John Byrne. So despite the young cast and taking certain elements from the Ultimate comics, if the movie is able to evoke some of the classic science fiction elements and family dynamics really well, the movie just might succeed while gaining the good will of some of the fans if not all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
I look forward to watching it with you sir
Cheers MrYac .
Old 01-27-2015, 02:03 AM   #1016
TheYoungWolf
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spideristic View Post
'The Fantastic Four' Movie Details, Images, Easter Eggs, Tone, and More
I am probably one of the few who is still optimistic about this movie and after reading this interview my optimism has shot up.

Continue with the blind hatred for this movie along with ill will towards Josh Trank and boycott the movie if needed. In the mean time I urge you all to read this whole interview.
Refreshing to see that someone still understands and respects the idea behind the benefit of the doubt.

There's no denying that the information, stemming from both interviews with the cast and crew as well as reputable sources has been discouraging for the majority, myself included. Some of it even coming off as ignorant and defiant in the face of an extremely faithful fan base whose end goal I'd like to believe is simply the preservation of a rich history of comic books.

I've noticed that it's gone beyond that, though.. To the point where I no longer consider the italicized part a truth so much as it is an excuse for comic book readers to be malicious. It's unfortunate, because I get where those people are coming from. Trank and co have managed to make my blood boil on more than one occasion. That, however, is not an objective indication that the movie will be bad. Nor is anything we currently know, because in reality, we know next to nothing apart from the cast and a few vague descriptions of the feel the film is going for. Seems as though it's a recurring theme for a select few forum members to take their, sometimes justified, prejudices and flip them around in an attempt to pass them off as knowledgeable, fair and factual criticisms. In this instance, that usually just means attacking the age of the cast as if that has any sort of definitive bearing on the quality of a movie. You know (cue sarcasm), because there's never been an accomplished actor/actress outside the late stages of adulthood and there never will be. My favorite is the Twilight franchise comparison, and the suggestion that this film will mirror those films despite having zero relation to one another outside the age of their respective cast members. That's kind of where I just sit back and laugh because to me, a blind, unfounded pull like that is presumptuous and beyond reason.

I'm curious to see the trailer.. The overall secrecy has managed to keep me interested in the end result.
TheYoungWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:41 AM   #1017
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Granted it has not been confirmed but this is rumor to be the costumes: http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Fanta...ike-69397.html

Nothing I read is going to convince me to see this movie in the theater.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:20 AM   #1018
Spideristic
The Thunderbolts

Looks like the waiting is almost over, the trailer is going to be online later today.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:04 AM   #1019
Spideristic
The Thunderbolts

Fantastic Four | Official Teaser Trailer [HD]| 20th Century FOX - YouTube

Last edited by Spideristic; 01-27-2015 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:16 AM   #1020
Luminous
Cyclops

Not going to lie, that's a good looking trailer.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote