Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 01-18-2015, 05:17 AM   #21
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnclone View Post
Just to clarify, not saying that all metal acts of the nineties were the typical big hair, black leather, spandex and bandanas type of look. But a whole lot were. Certainly most metal acts wore black and had very long hair, this is probably still true today.
Actually, by the late 90s all hair metal bands were pretty much gone. Replaced by the "grunge" scene of musicians who shopped at thrift stores and rocked out in flannel that hit the scene in early 90s. So we're sort of mocking that genre - but the album it comes from -Think Tank - is brilliant.
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 05:48 AM   #22
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

For me, one of the most memorable music videos and songs from back in the day was Adam & The Ants - Ant Music.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rm9drIwmmU4

Never had a clue what it was all about, but man was it cool and catchy.

Nidgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 04:30 PM   #23
johnclone
The Enchantress

The lyrics from "goody two shoes" were a little more intelligible. Something about unplugging a jukebox?

ADAM ANT
"goody two shoes"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o41A91X5pns
johnclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 04:49 PM   #24
johnclone
The Enchantress

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
Actually, by the late 90s all hair metal bands were pretty much gone. Replaced by the "grunge" scene of musicians who shopped at thrift stores and rocked out in flannel that hit the scene in early 90s. So we're sort of mocking that genre - but the album it comes from -Think Tank - is brilliant.
Yes, I should have written this with a little more depth, because it was many "grunge" type bands that adopted an anti-black leather look and it wasn't just at the end of the 90's, as you said ratchet, I should have said the entire 90's was like metal's last stand as grunge, led by the charge of Nirvana's Nevermind and hip hop began to take the place of metal. Blur was just a small part of a huge movement of music.

I think in many ways grunge was the next evolution of metal, a way to stay relevant socially, it just took metal by storm, they didn't see it coming at all, they were living in an ivory tower fantasy world that they didn't expect to end anytime soon. Which I do hope to discuss more when we look at videos by Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and others, and compare them with some metal videos from the same time period, so I hope you stick with this thread if this topic is interesting to you, I think it will be time well spent.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:53 PM   #25
johnclone
The Enchantress

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderZx2 View Post
Peter Gabriel - Sledgehammer

Quite an unusual music video, released in 1987, involving use of stop motion animation and other practical effects. It is perhaps the only music video I can think of where all of the backing singers, the singer's children and the artists who worked on the video appear within it.
I also think it is the only music video that included sperm in it and was allowed on tv.

Such a memorable video, I really like the clay scene where his hands become sledgehammers and hit his head, and a little guy appears, lol
Old 01-19-2015, 06:44 PM   #26
johnclone
The Enchantress

Just now, out of nowhere this popped into my head.

from 1983 here's

THOMPSON TWINS

"hold me now"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9694K85Xc8

What isn't quirky about this music video? Every single aspect is slightly strange.
Old 01-20-2015, 11:01 PM   #27
ratchet
Mandarin

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnclone View Post
Yes, I should have written this with a little more depth, because it was many "grunge" type bands that adopted an anti-black leather look and it wasn't just at the end of the 90's, as you said ratchet, I should have said the entire 90's was like metal's last stand as grunge, led by the charge of Nirvana's Nevermind and hip hop began to take the place of metal. Blur was just a small part of a huge movement of music.

I think in many ways grunge was the next evolution of metal, a way to stay relevant socially, it just took metal by storm, they didn't see it coming at all, they were living in an ivory tower fantasy world that they didn't expect to end anytime soon. Which I do hope to discuss more when we look at videos by Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and others, and compare them with some metal videos from the same time period, so I hope you stick with this thread if this topic is interesting to you, I think it will be time well spent.
I disagree completely - the grunge movement was more about getting music back to basics and and being more about the talented musicians trying to really say something with their art then an evolution of metal. Metal didn't evolve - it died in the early 90s - replaced by this purer genre.
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 11:12 PM   #28
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

"Help I'm steppin' into the twilight zone
The place is a madhouse,
Feels like being cloned
My beacon's been moved under moon and star
Where am I to go, now that I've gone too far?

Soon you will come to know,
When the bullet hits the bone
Soon you will come to know,
When the bullet hits the bone"

Golden Earring - Twilight Zone

http://youtu.be/m7XDoxtBGK0

This tune is worked into the Twilight Zone Pinball which I own, so I actually think of it often.
CessnaDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 03:37 AM   #29
johnclone
The Enchantress

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
I disagree completely - the grunge movement was more about getting music back to basics and and being more about the talented musicians trying to really say something with their art then an evolution of metal. Metal didn't evolve - it died in the early 90s - replaced by this purer genre.
I think a certain kind of metal died in the mid nineties, that I'd agree with you on Ratchet. LA, Big hair, ballady, spandex "formulaic" metal died. I wouldn't say Heavy Metal itself died though, but it certainly took some punches to the head.

However, so many awesome metal songs and albums came out in the 90's I don't see how you could consider the whole heavy metal genre as having died, for instance arguably one of the greatest metal acts ever, Pantera, released (I think) 4 albums in the nineties which all did very well. Metallica cranked out some great songs, which I'd call metal, they did though, go through an identity crisis eventually toward the late nineties where their sound went to who knows what, experimental grungecore? Ozzy had something of a comeback in the mid 90's, then you have new artists Rob Zombie as a solo act, Marilyn Manson, just to name some that did hit it big on the charts and were metal acts.

But acts like Warrant, and Firehouse, and Slaughter, Ratt, Quiet Riot, etc, that kind of generic metal definitely became irrelevant as grunge's popularity grew. And rightly so, as that kind of music for the most part sucked. See anything by Slaughter as proof.

Now as far as grunge being an entirely different kind of music than metal, and not exactly an evolution of metal, I can see your point there. While we can see similarities in grunge that are shared by metal in the sound at times, I'll agree that it was a different musical form entirely and not an evolution. And yes, there was definitely a big focus on freshness and art and talent, and not the same boring old recycled crap that was plaguing a large part of heavy metal.