Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 06-22-2010, 10:23 AM   #21
derekrodneysim
Giganta

Location: In a country where inequality, oppression, corruption & racism reigns supreme
Wow you guys! This is no joke.

I just completed doing an animated electrical safety video for schoolkids and the things I learned opened up my eyes big time. Man, I felt so ignorant. Actually the biggest killer is ignorance itself. That's why we must know enough. Workers who are exposed to electrical hazards and everyone alike.

The first thing I learned was that you're only electrocuted when it results in death. So you suffered a shock.

Next thing is that your muscles and lungs contract. That's why you couldn't let go even if you wanted to and hard to breathe and chest pain occurs.

High voltage carries a greater risk naturally because it actually jumps if you get near enough.

So be super careful when there's electricity involved. Look out for potential dangers of high power tension cables, or exposed wiring.

We even saw a video of a suicidal guy in india who reached for live overhead cables and was literally toasted in 2 flashes. No joke.

Enough of the educational lecture but I just feel I could help by warning you guys about the dangers. Don't want any forum friend to suffer a fatal accident. Especially those who work in construction or outdoors.

Thank God you're ok, Erin!

Please be more careful you guys! Try to avoid touching metal or wet wood without protective gear. Rubber boots and gloves may be a good idea.

God bless.

Derek
derekrodneysim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:13 AM   #22
Mandragora
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.

yeah its totally no joke. I've been an electrician for about 12 years now and I've definitely been "tickled" a few times. This was not that. I'm always try to be super careful and aware of my surroundings, sadly this was like a perfect storm of a situation.

its true, electrocuted is def not the right term . . however, the word "shock" to me doesn't carry the weight of what happened. Yes high voltage does carry a higher risk, but it is also about the amperage. My fiance' is always tying into the main panels for buildings that start at 400A and it scares the living sh!t out of me. (keep in mind a typical wall outlet is 20A). He's so tweaked about getting a "hit" that he will often test out things that he thinks might be fishy by hitting it with the back of his hand. Honestly I'll do that often as well, but i've probably leaned my ladder on the same column, i dunno . . 40 times? 60 times?

hmmm . . i am encouraged by a possible origin story here . . i've had quite a few xrays lately too that's the laugh i needed guys . . thanks
Mandragora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:23 AM   #23
derekrodneysim
Giganta

Location: In a country where inequality, oppression, corruption & racism reigns supreme
Sounds like the two of you are definitely in the high risk group.
A respectable profession but unforgiving when it leaves very little room for error.

Remember to always be vigilant and please stay safe!
derekrodneysim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:33 AM   #24
RichBamf
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandragora View Post
yeah its totally no joke. I've been an electrician for about 12 years now and I've definitely been "tickled" a few times. This was not that. I'm always try to be super careful and aware of my surroundings, sadly this was like a perfect storm of a situation.

its true, electrocuted is def not the right term . . however, the word "shock" to me doesn't carry the weight of what happened. Yes high voltage does carry a higher risk, but it is also about the amperage. My fiance' is always tying into the main panels for buildings that start at 400A and it scares the living sh!t out of me. (keep in mind a typical wall outlet is 20A). He's so tweaked about getting a "hit" that he will often test out things that he thinks might be fishy by hitting it with the back of his hand. Honestly I'll do that often as well, but i've probably leaned my ladder on the same column, i dunno . . 40 times? 60 times?

hmmm . . i am encouraged by a possible origin story here . . i've had quite a few xrays lately too that's the laugh i needed guys . . thanks
Electric Erin, I sense a new comicseries underway!

But seriously hon, you've said that you've done the same task 40-60 times at least. I know it must have been terrifying, but think of it as a freak accident.

Think how many times you cross the street, if you ever got hit by a car (heaven forbid that you do!) would it stop you crossing the street?

Things are feeling tough now, and they should, because you've been through something life threatening. Don't let it control your life though buddy.

You'll be ok, you're a tough old gal
RichBamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:34 AM   #25
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBamf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandragora View Post

hmmm . . i am encouraged by a possible origin story here . .
i've had quite a few xrays lately too that's the laugh i needed guys . . thanks
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 12:02 PM   #26
h-7
Blue Falcon
Adamantium Plus Member

I have been "shocked" quiet a few times throughout my life.

the first I remember was when I was around 10 me and my cousin were playing with one of those throw away camera's. We took turns charging it up and making the flash go off to blind each other. Well I decided to disassemble the camera. Then we continued to charge it up. I touched the capicator and shocked myself. Well my dumbass cousin did the same after I charged it longer. Whats funny is he actually shocked the piss out of himself.

2nd time I was a little older and apparently still just as stupid. This can be my origin story...I licked a phone wire. Not smart, my tongue was numb for a few minutes.

Then one time hooking up a satellite receiver, I kept grounding out connecting the coax to the rf module. I ended up just having to work through the shock until I had it connected.

I have been shocked by computers numerous times, ps2 ports and video cards give you a nice shock.

The worst though was when I took a 500w power supply apart due to suspected over heating. I went to touch the heatsink and I got hit by a charge that made me clamp on to the power supply. My left arm was numb for a while I could barely breathe and my hands hurt for about 6 hours and I had a severe headache. When it happened I let out a yell that would of scared any one. Lucky for me no one was hear at my store to hear it. Would have been bad if I was knocked out.

I was also shocked while removing a faceplate for a electical socket. I was told the room was dead and the electical socket had to come off the wall to get a bookcase out. Well the room was not dead and I was shocked.
h-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:29 PM   #27
Sniper
Objectivo Bastardo

I hate changing light fixtures and installing ceiling fans. I am always scared about getting shocked.
I have been luckly so far but I guess my paronia has helped me.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 02:32 PM   #28
Mandragora

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBamf View Post

But seriously hon, you've said that you've done the same task 40-60 times at least. I know it must have been terrifying, but think of it as a freak accident.

Think how many times you cross the street, if you ever got hit by a car (heaven forbid that you do!) would it stop you crossing the street?

Things are feeling tough now, and they should, because you've been through something life threatening. Don't let it control your life though buddy.

You'll be ok, you're a tough old gal
oh I don't think i'm going to stop doing this job (i'm not that lucky) . . . just a little tweaked. You know like how a nightmare stays with you for a while throughout the day? Its like that except its been a week now.
Old 06-22-2010, 02:33 PM   #29
Mandragora

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaultMan View Post
yaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!!!

***clapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclapclap***
Old 06-22-2010, 02:34 PM   #30
Mandragora

Quote:
Originally Posted by h-7 View Post

I was also shocked while removing a faceplate for a electical socket. I was told the room was dead and the electical socket had to come off the wall to get a bookcase out. Well the room was not dead and I was shocked.
if possible i always treat everything as if its still live. If there is a set of camloks on the ground (kind of connector that deals with serious amperage), even if i know beyond all doubt that it is not plugged in, i still won't touch the inside of that thing.