Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

View Poll Results: Which sculpting product do you prefer?
Chavant 12 28.57%
Sculpey (Super) 21 50.00%
Milliput 3 7.14%
Other 14 33.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-09-2013, 06:13 AM   #21
barneyjoseph
Mephisto

Can't wait to see your reviews of monster clay and see your work moonmonkey
barneyjoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #22
moonmonkey
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyjoseph View Post
Can't wait to see your reviews of monster clay and see your work moonmonkey
yes ill post my thoughts on it actually just received it but i havent had a chance to actually sit down and work with it yet
moonmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:41 PM   #23
Niinui
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patu View Post
I'm keen to try it also, I'm hearing more and more great things about it from some great sculptors the only problem is the cost!!
Well, shelling out $30 at once seems like a lot, but you are getting 5lbs of clay, which means 1 lbs costs you $6. And for the same amount of clay in Chavant you also pay $25, with $10 per 2lbs block, or $5 per lbs.
The only difference is that you don't have to spend the money all at once.

At the same time, however, you don't have to use a clear coat prior to molding with Monster Clay for example, so I am always reusing the Monster Clay without having to scrape off the first layer and thus end up losing clay like I did with Chavant for example.
Niinui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:43 PM   #24
Niinui
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaneye View Post
Rubbing alcohol (70% isopropanol) didn't do much to Monster Clay when I tried it. Also cost wise, I found it not much different than sculpey pound for pound even with the postage. In fact, I think it was slightly cheaper, and it's reusable.
I use different varieties of rubbing alcohol, if the 70% doesn't work for you you can always try the 90%, or if you can find it, 99%. Those work excellently!
I usually use the alcohol, and then I use a very soft brush dipped in water and go over the surface again a couple of time, it creates a really smooth finish.
Niinui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:59 PM   #25
moonmonkey
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

after trying monster clay for these past 2 day i must say that its definitely going to be my go to choice for clay

its so smooth and silky and i love the feel of wax that it has after it hardens a bit, overall i think its awesome and its not tacky nor does it stick to your tools its just a great product

tomorrow ill post pics on from our bench of a wip one of a kind joker new 52 bust im working on its about 1/3 scale more or less still very rough but had to stop to go to work
moonmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:36 AM   #26
Conor Muldoon
Doh!

If anyone wants any of the original Klean Klay Trinity Ceramic Supply has over 350# left in stock. Call them for pricing 214-631-0540
Conor Muldoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:07 PM   #27
Sharkey
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

I have yet to do any Statue sculpts, but for the cosplay sculpted pieces I have really liked Paper Clay.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 04:45 PM   #28
cyborgt800
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

I have tried just about everything out there! My favorite hands down is Chavant's Y2Klay!

Depending on what I'm doing though I also still use:

Plasticene...sometimes
Sculpey....rarely...Baking/cracking is too much hassle IMHO
LaDoll
Premier
Critter Clay
Apoxie Sculp...frequently
CX5....just learning it
Azbro wax....just learning it
Monster Clay....not too impressed
Amaco craft porcelain
DAS
Hearty
A variety of home made wax compounds
paper clay

My favorite fill-out materials are aluminum foil and EPS foam, but then I have a professional level foam knife like this:
http://www.hotwiredirect.com/products/hot-knife/
Otherwise I probably wouldn't use foam.
Foam is great in combination with Apoxie sculpt for making hollow parts. After hardening just use a MAPP torch to burn out the foam...Apoxie will take the heat in moderate bursts.
cyborgt800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:45 PM   #29
Kelg
Fantastic Four

I generally use roma plastilina--I have tons of it dating back to the 80s although I would probably try something else if I ran out.

Tried castilene, made a few sculptures with sculpey products but hate the baking and reinforcing against breakage, prefer plastilina for fine detail work. I cast in epoxy clay these days.
Kelg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:06 AM   #30
srallives
Artist
Artist

Hi guys. I have what might be a stupid question, but I havent been able to find a real anwer on the net. I am new to sculpting and really enjoying it. Currently using air dry clay, but struggling sometimes with small details and the fact that you have to keep it moist until you are ready for it to dry. I have played around with some polymer clays like super sculpey firm and cernit, but they are quite expensive so if I wanted to do something large scale it would cost me a lot.

I have seen that some of you use monster clay and Chavant. These are called was clays right? Do you bake them or something to cure (although I read somewhere that you can melt them and pour it into molds, which I guess rules out baking)? Or are they simply intended to make molds of?

The reason I ask is that I am looking for something that holds detail and can be painted afterwards as I am only interested in making one offs and casting molds of or anything like that.

Any help or advice would be most appreciated.
srallives is offline   Reply With Quote