Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 01-19-2013, 05:38 AM   #601
Simplyrob
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

I'm just about to finish the last Dexter book by Jeff Lindsay. Nice to have them during the off season.
Simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 08:01 PM   #602
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Grah... it doesn't rain here all that often; had a "tupperwared" box of books outside under a canopy, and water still got into it and ruined 'em. My assumption is bringin' books inside with even the slightest bit of mold on them is bad for my health.

I guess now I see which books are worth replacing, and which aren't. My bad for not finding room for them in my crackerbox.

Sucks.. one of 'em was signed by the WW II vet that wrote it... Sgt. Don Malarkey, portrayed in Band of Brothers ("Easy Company Soldier" is the book), who I met in Oregon.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:50 AM   #603
dccowen
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Mold is really really bad if you have a allergy (7% of all people) to it respiratory problems, or via long term exposure. Black mold is the really bad stuff.

Take a damp cloth with some bleach, wipe down the books with the towel. And thoroughly dry. The books will be fine, and your risk to mold spore damage will be minimal.

Also don't inhale like your smelling fresh baked bread.
dccowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:34 PM   #604
protector2814
Phoenix

Thongor Against the Gods by Lin Carter -

Been going thru all my old sci-fi & sword 'n paperbacks, & I gotta say, Lin Carter really knew what he was doing with his barbarian heroes, especially Thongor. Amazing detail, fun scenarios, great monsters, gorgeous princesses & forgotten ruins, all used as backdrop for a hero that can pretty much do it all. These 60's romps are nothing but page turning fun. I plan on reading a lotta Lin Carter during the rest of summer.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:33 PM   #605
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Just finished "A brief history of the dead", nothing great, but it was a best seller for some reason
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:38 PM   #606
dccowen

Just completed John Jakes North and South trilogy. Great stuff.
Old 07-06-2013, 09:56 PM   #607
Babytoxie
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
Been going thru all my old sci-fi & sword 'n paperbacks, & I gotta say, Lin Carter really knew what he was doing with his barbarian heroes, especially Thongor. Amazing detail, fun scenarios, great monsters, gorgeous princesses & forgotten ruins, all used as backdrop for a hero that can pretty much do it all. These 60's romps are nothing but page turning fun. I plan on reading a lotta Lin Carter during the rest of summer.
This is why I don't get all the disdain directed toward deCamp and Carter's Conan pastiches. I enjoyed their work, and I feel it adds so much to the appeal of the character.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:06 AM   #608
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytoxie View Post
This is why I don't get all the disdain directed toward deCamp and Carter's Conan pastiches. I enjoyed their work, and I feel it adds so much to the appeal of the character.
Couldn't agree more. Conan of the Isles & Conan the Buccaneer, both penned by Carter & De Camp, I believe, were amazing Conan books. The two later writers added much more to the vibe of Conan, imo.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:20 AM   #609
dccowen

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
Couldn't agree more. Conan of the Isles & Conan the Buccaneer, both penned by Carter & De Camp, I believe, were amazing Conan books. The two later writers added much more to the vibe of Conan, imo.
As a life long Conan fan, I think most of the hate with carter and DeCamp is similar to those authors who wrote Bond books after Fleming, or the Bourne books after Ludlum.

The original authors told their tales, and left them pretty much wrapped up. It leaves the reader irked because at this point it's a cash grab. Not to mention the quality and voice isn't the same. Are there well told stories, absolutely, but they lack the flash of the original author.

Brian Herbert is a pale pale reflection of his Father, but we Dune fans sucked up the second rate attempt, because we knew he was using all of his fathers research and outlines. It only lacked Franks voice.

At least that is my two cents.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:02 PM   #610
dccowen

Just started the Cookoo's Calling.