Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 01-12-2012, 09:03 PM   #201
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKinSD View Post

i think though you are going to have SF folks lining up at cons this year. you have gathered a well deserved following!
cough cough Heroes Con cough cough
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:04 PM   #202
SunnyLee
Doodler and Pencil Scratcher.
ArtistProducer

I was at the 2010 NYCC. I did not go last year and probably not in 2012 either. The cost to benefit ratio is too low. Staying in NYC is just too expensive to justify going. I think you have to essentially be a Joe Mad or Jim Lee to make it and not come back broke.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. And I think I miscalculated. I think there are 3 left not two. I still plan on being done by the weekend and hopefully ship them all out once addresses are confirmed.
SunnyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:04 PM   #203
SunnyLee
ArtistProducer

I should have two done tonight or tomorrow.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:04 PM   #204
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

Sweet. These have all been great! Thanks for knocking these out quickly! Great to see awesome art consistently being produced for these
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:39 PM   #205
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyLee View Post
I was at the 2010 NYCC. I did not go last year and probably not in 2012 either. The cost to benefit ratio is too low. Staying in NYC is just too expensive to justify going. I think you have to essentially be a Joe Mad or Jim Lee to make it and not come back broke.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. And I think I miscalculated. I think there are 3 left not two. I still plan on being done by the weekend and hopefully ship them all out once addresses are confirmed.
I hear you bro. But with all due respect to other artists, there are some people there with a fraction of your talent, charging less and in some cases the same amounts.I think you could do well (depending on the number of pieces you could crank out of course). It just seems like such an ideal situation for you to have folks lined up at NYCC - artists alley is nuts these days
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 01:20 AM   #206
SunnyLee
ArtistProducer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaultMan View Post
I hear you bro. But with all due respect to other artists, there are some people there with a fraction of your talent, charging less and in some cases the same amounts.I think you could do well (depending on the number of pieces you could crank out of course). It just seems like such an ideal situation for you to have folks lined up at NYCC - artists alley is nuts these days
If I worked any harder or charged any more, my head would either fall off or I'd feel really guilty about charging so much. I feel bad for charging $50 at conventions for the con sketches. I usually accept no more than 10 commissions per day. I'd really rather not cheese them out just so I can make another $100. I'm the kind of dude that would prefer to see people thrilled at what I'm giving for the money they're paying. At $50, I think I'm at the limit of what I can offer and consciously accept as equal value. And at the NYCC with hotels and travel and food plus tables starting at $1200, I would literally have to take 20-30 commissions per day to make the trip pay for itself.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:23 AM   #207
SunnyLee
ArtistProducer

Huntress, Vision and some tail

NOW I have two more to go.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:57 AM   #208
gylaya79
Death is hereditary.

Quote:
Edit: Client just emailed me a pic of the pup's tail so I will be updating Krypto this evening. Funny - they sent like 5 pictures before and not one had the tail showing.

Round 2 probably will happen sometime in the future but not probably for a while. I recently got swamped with full blown commissions so I will most likely be up to my eyeballs in them for the next 6 months, and then comes convention season so, it doesn't look like I'll be doing a big one (a list of 15+) probably until around next Christmas. I may tho, when it occurs to me, do a very short list (probably no more than 5) just to keep me on my toes. (You guys come up with some pretty interesting stuff).

When the short list pops up - I can't really say with any degree of certainty so you folks will have to keep on your toes.
dude, i thought i was gonna have you drawing for 6 yrs.

i got dibs on the last 4 spots of the short list, since El Pulento called shotgun
gylaya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:02 AM   #209
THE_BEAST
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
If I worked any harder or charged any more, my head would either fall off or I'd feel really guilty about charging so much. I feel bad for charging $50 at conventions for the con sketches. I usually accept no more than 10 commissions per day. I'd really rather not cheese them out just so I can make another $100. I'm the kind of dude that would prefer to see people thrilled at what I'm giving for the money they're paying. At $50, I think I'm at the limit of what I can offer and consciously accept as equal value. And at the NYCC with hotels and travel and food plus tables starting at $1200, I would literally have to take 20-30 commissions per day to make the trip pay for itself.
Have you ever thought about doing sketch cards? There pretty popular, and quicker to do. Theres a lot of artists that bring pre drawn cards to the cons. $15-20 each is a pretty good price for a B&W. And $25+ for color.
THE_BEAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 08:51 AM   #210
SunnyLee
ArtistProducer

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE_BEAST View Post
Have you ever thought about doing sketch cards? There pretty popular, and quicker to do. Theres a lot of artists that bring pre drawn cards to the cons. $15-20 each is a pretty good price for a B&W. And $25+ for color.
Actually - I have. They're definitely easier on me, but having seen other artists carry them, they don't sell particularly well. At least, none of the artists I sat near sold a lot of them. Cons are a difficult business. You want to have something that caters to everyone, but you still want to produce a quality piece. I have tho - starting picking up "pre-orders" for conventions before I go - just so I have them ready for pick up at the con. Perhaps, I'll start that here for cons I'll be attending in 2012 (if anyone's interested).