Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 03-05-2007, 04:24 PM   #1
Wesley Pierce
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

Musculature

Hi guys... I know there are many pros out there, of which I aspire to be one day, and I know you guys have so many great ideas it boggles the mind...

So here it is... I am working on a few different sculpts at present and pretty much just use Hogarth's Dynamic Anatomy as a reference for the musculature...

Is there anything else you guys would reccomend or do you think Hogarth's is pretty much the best reference material for this?

The reason I ask is that I have a new sculpt I am working on that is in a kind of lunging position which isn't covered in Hogarth's work, though it is pretty close.

That's it.. Shout out if you have pertinent info.
Wesley Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 04:54 PM   #2
ManthingVT
Sculptor
Sculptor

Personally, I'm not a fan of Hogart at all. His work is too stylized to be of real help if you want to sculpt (or draw) realistically. One of the books I use is "Anatomy For The Artist" by Jeno Barcsay. Very detailed and knowledgable. I would also recommend (if you can afford it) the 1/3 scale anatomy model by Freedomof teach.com. Many sculptors seem to have this piece in their studios. Photos of bodybuilders and even better, fitness models (think Men's Health Magazine) are also useful.

Nothing replaces time spent studying from varoius source. Don't rely on just one book- I have many different ones besides the one I mentioned above. If you can, attend life drawing classes or sessions (live nekkid models!).

Good Luck,

MVT
ManthingVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 05:27 PM   #3
Professor Oreo
Sculptor
Sculptor

I agree 100% with ManthingVT. Hogarth's stuff is good for learning the overall placement of muslces and their insertions points and whatnot, but as far as actually sculpting muscles, nothing beats fitness and bodybuilding mags. Get your info straight from the source - the human body.

Life drawing classes are the ultimate in that you have an actual person in front of you. Some of the classes even let you ask the models to strike certain poses (within reason) so you might ask the model to get into the pose you need and sketch it like crazy. If you're really hardcore you can ask a model if they do private sessions and dress them up in the exact outfits you need for your piece and do a photo shoot. It might cost you some cash but you'll have the ultimate reference that you know is 100% right on the money.
Professor Oreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:07 PM   #4
High Lord Apocalypse
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

just don't ask the nude model to change you out of a diaper in a tub full of pepto bismol.
High Lord Apocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:28 PM   #5
Babytoxie
Ghost

Arnold Schwarzenegger's Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:41 PM   #6
Ink
My Better Is Better Than Your Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManthingVT View Post
Personally, I'm not a fan of Hogart at all. His work is too stylized to be of real help if you want to sculpt (or draw) realistically. One of the books I use is "Anatomy For The Artist" by Jeno Barcsay. Very detailed and knowledgable. I would also recommend (if you can afford it) the 1/3 scale anatomy model by Freedomof teach.com. Many sculptors seem to have this piece in their studios. Photos of bodybuilders and even better, fitness models (think Men's Health Magazine) are also useful.

Nothing replaces time spent studying from varoius source. Don't rely on just one book- I have many different ones besides the one I mentioned above. If you can, attend life drawing classes or sessions (live nekkid models!).

Good Luck,

MVT
that's what I have only I don't sculpt
Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:10 PM   #7
dynabol69
The Spirit

Check out freedomofteach.com Best investment I have made
dynabol69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 06:22 AM   #8
Wesley Pierce

Thanks a lot guys... Been a help
Old 03-06-2007, 10:10 AM   #9
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytoxie View Post
Arnold Schwarzenegger's Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding.
That's def one of my favorites for the superhero stuff... I agree with pretty much everyone else's statements here...

This biggest thing you can do is start building a gigantic reference pile... magazines, life nudes in black and white, artist bucks for pose, anatomy for the artist books.

I even break things down enough that with an internet connection reference is at your fingertips...
Old 03-06-2007, 02:29 PM   #10
Wesley Pierce

Just checked out Freedom-of-Teach and thought the site was informative with a lot of pretty cool reference material including armatures... VERY INTERESTING. I will have to look into some of the other things such as Arnold's book... Never even thought of buying the muscle mags until now.. Once you all mentioned it I was like "DOH! Why didn't I think of that?!?"

Thanks guys.. seen some of your works (especially Kdawgs) and thought they all rocked so i will take your advice into account.

As for the live figure modeling... this is something I have thought of.

Thank you very much.. you all have been extremely helpful...

And THAT is why I love this site!