Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 08-24-2011, 02:47 PM   #1
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Comic Art Fans Etiquette

Like most of you, I browse the site on an almost daily basis, going wherever my whims take me... so glad it exists, so I can see all of your awesome galleries, where pages and covers I remember from the past have wound up (and the appreciation they receive), and just because it's a fun community in itself, but...

.. why is it some people don't understand/can't grasp what appropriate etiquette on there is, in terms of buying from/selling to/bothering other CAF members?

I don't "bother" someone about a piece that says NFS. Especially if I see twenty Momos saying "if you ever want to dump this, I'll take it off your hands" etc etc. THAT'S fine, but when EVERY comment is that, and not comments of just an appreciative nature, that's gotta bug. If it says NFS, twenty comments of "please can I have this?" type bullsh!t over a span of several years SHOULD denote that the seller isn't interested in selling it.

I've had people put their phone numbers on my comments page, so that I would call them about a couple of pages I have no intention of EVER selling; ever. I delete those comments, both for their protection of privacy, and because.. to me anyways... it's basically a slap in the face of the seller. If it's NFS, respect the fact that it's NOT FOR SALE.

Oh.. then I've also made offers on people's art where it says "make an offer", and I HIGHBALL over what the piece is worth (recently did this with that PWJ page you guys know about), and the seller says "don't waste my time", etc. If it says "make an offer", and the offer's a more than decent one, don't put "Make an offer" in the Availability category if you won't sell it for anything less than the price of all the Gammabros' Hulk OA collections combined (an exaggeration, but you get the point). Or at least politely decline offers.. bein' a Douchenozzle over it is uncalled for.

I have pieces I won't sell, and I won't "string along" buyers, seeing what insane amounts they offer... money is only money; you can't "duplicate" an original, actual, authentic page from a comic.

Anyways, just frustrating.. I was actually chewed out this morning via CAF mail because someone is mad that I refuse to sell him my Lim Galactus/Caiera page, and I've had a similar situation happen with my Hulk vs. X-Men stuff also.

Have any of you had similar experiences? Obviously so... given your insane collections.. just... grr; annoying.

I'm now going to go rectify that with a surf and some Conan; tootles!

~Armando
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 02:56 PM   #2
Magneto
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

I have similar experiences, I´m especially tired about eMail requests if I would sell particular pieces although they are marked as NFS.
Magneto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:20 PM   #3
dagouch17
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

I personally Don't mind. I get emails from peeps on selling something or how did you get so and so to sketch that for you.

I take it as flattery and all. However I can understand why you would feel the way you do.

Mike
dagouch17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:21 PM   #4
MrYac
Hercules

i could see where it can be annoying, but lets be honest to most people "NFS" just means not until they get the right price, and if it's a dream piece and i actually have the means to make a real offer you bet your ass i'm going to try
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:36 PM   #5
Aarrgghh!!
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Isn't there an option to not allow comments, if not there should be. If there is and you allow, then it's fair game.
Aarrgghh!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:01 PM   #6
hypno
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

I don't really mind when people contact me about a NFS page and have sold a couple that I previously hadn't been looking to move. I have also politely told a couple of folks that a page isn't for sale and I usually don't contact someone if I see a NFS.

So far all of my communication on CAF has been pretty friendly.
hypno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:05 PM   #7
Meeley Man
Kindly Asked To Leave
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarrgghh!! View Post
Isn't there an option to not allow comments, if not there should be. If there is and you allow, then it's fair game.
No, there is no option to not allow comments. If you have a premium membership at CAF, you can delete comments off your pieces, but that's it.

As for me, I've always seen NFS and meaning exactly that. But, as someone else noted, many others see it as "NFS... unless you want to pay me crazy money" (as if anyone had that in the current economy).

As for the "make an offer" stuff, again, it's just code for "I want way more than this is worth." I never make offers. If you want to sell, put a price on it. Don't play guessing games with me. If you can't tell me what you want for the piece, you either don't really want to sell or know what you'd ask would be inslting to anyone who would be interested.

Ah, well, if common decensy were the standard, many in this hobby would never be allowed back in it again.
Meeley Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:07 PM   #8
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Perhaps if it's really never ever going to be for sale you should say they can have it when they pry it from your cold dead hands. Or when Hulk delivers it personally.

Funny and to the point.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:11 PM   #9
Mean Green
Fantomah

I'm a bit guilty as I just recently found out it's annoying to leave the "If you ever get tired..." message. I also send emails with the same message but I do try to make it only once. I've always received friendly replies so I've never thought it was an issue. The Deodato page I just purchased and posted actually is a result of me leaving such a message and the owner eventually contacting me. I guess there's always a moderate way to do it... I definitely don't get angry with people who don't want to sell their art and I try not to send more than one message asking about it (I may overlap once in awhile, can't say for certain).

However, speaking as someone who does ask to purchase art in the manner you dislike, I do suggest you change the NFS to "In my Permanent Collection", "NEVERRRR!!", or "This B*tch is getting buried with ME!!!" etc. I think it would help. I definitely don't contact people who have that up as the message is quite clear. Keep in mind, "NFS" is the default message there so sometimes, I'm just hoping they were lazy and didn't change it
Mean Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:15 PM   #10
Underdog07
Hercules

Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote