Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 06-11-2007, 11:20 PM   #1
Merendino
Frackin!

The gray clay everyone seems to be using.

I'm new to the forums but have been browsing them all day. I have seen a multitude of some of the coolest sculptures ever here, and most of them are gray in color. I was wondering what that material was.

I am currently using Super Sculpey, and have seen the gray Scupley extra hard stuff. The question only arises though because from the models i've seen it doesn't look like the gray sculpey. It looks more like a typical clay and not a polymer clay. Thanks in advance for the answers!
Merendino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:26 PM   #2
unbounddreams
I am da law!

Some are finished and primered. Others on the other hand are done in super sculpey firm (grey) or super sculpey mixed with 1 black and 1 white sculpey III mix.

I hope that helps.

-Jon
unbounddreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:35 PM   #3
Merendino
Frackin!

so then the majority are NOT made with a 'real' clay, if you will? The majority are of sculpey origin. That makes things so much easier. I'm working with super sculpey trying to create a book for the hip of my inquisitor figure who i modeled and scuplted to make him Ezekiel of the Dark angels from warhammer 40k. the smallness of the book is appearing to be a huge pain. thanks!
Merendino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:44 PM   #4
rmblair
Sculptor
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merendino View Post
so then the majority are NOT made with a 'real' clay, if you will? The majority are of sculpey origin. That makes things so much easier. I'm working with super sculpey trying to create a book for the hip of my inquisitor figure who i modeled and scuplted to make him Ezekiel of the Dark angels from warhammer 40k. the smallness of the book is appearing to be a huge pain. thanks!
It seems to me more and more sculptors are using waxes these days. I use regular grey pre-mixed super sculpey (not the firm).
rmblair is offline   Reply With Quote