Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Chronicle Collectibles

Old 03-16-2015, 09:52 AM   #31
darkmummy
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

If you have seen those early concept art from Giger, actually those are a lot more closed to organic looking than the final design. It looks even very similar to A3 which is a coopration of ADI and Giger.
Still I don't want to see the exactly same big chap in the future movie again and again.
Instead of new alien design from ADI, I dislike the new endoskeleton from T:G. It's kinda like they change every screw of it, then make into a same thing. More like a fan art, couldn't dare to change too much, but only change thousands of tiny tiny bits.
The difference between SW and legacy endo is like a 1G memory stick to the other 2G memory stick. Huge difference, but visaully same thing.
As for the public preference, I dare to say, young gerneration will not choose big chap and A1 movie.
Guess we all love those awesome sci-fi movies back to that age, but let's face the fact, some of them are dated.
darkmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:11 AM   #32
Python
Omega Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmummy View Post
Regarding to "Having a man in a suit", based on tech what film industry having now, of course they can choose to not do it.

What's the reason to have it for alien? A salute to the old fashion?
Oh so many reasons. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. There is a reason the Aliens and the Predator have gone down in cinema folk law. Had they been cgi, they would have had none of the character and charm and would have been forgotten long ago.

I'm not against cgi in the least, it's a great tool and in some cases it is the only option, that's fine. But when the option is there to have a practical effect, whether it be a model or a suit, that should always be option number one. Aside from the character building they allow, there are indirect things like being able to bring out a better performance than actors as opposed to them acting against a green screen.

Look at something like Independence day (ID4) that movie is 19 years old, but thanks to exceptional model work, it looks excellent to this day and is still by far my favorite popcorn flick. Starship troopers is another good example of superb practical effects. The ship scenes in particular haven't aged at all, compare that to the rare cgi scene where Rico rides the Tanker bug, talk about destroying immersion.

And more recently, compare the Millenium Falcon from ESB for example (full of charm) to the grey digital thing doing loops in the new trailer.... Expectations immediately lowered.

I'll take the man in a suit look any day.
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:27 AM   #33
darkmummy
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

For some part I totally agree with you, Python.
But all the example you have mostly are environment and vehicals, those type of thing won't dated so easily.
They are apparently widely used until now.
But for character, practical effects are a lot limited judging by the movement.
Strongly supporting to use practical effects for Alien and Predator is just based on your great impression or memory when you saw those films back the day.
You certainly don't want see a body builder with make up called hulk, do ya?
It's more like the first generation Godzilla fans still prefer guys in the suit with minitures maybe.
darkmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:41 AM   #34
Python
Omega Red

No, like I said, for some things CGI is the only option, I would include the modern Hulk in that. And I loved Pacific Rim, The Kaiju were done very well. Although even for larger characters I always prefer a practical effect where possible, up close shots etc, which they did with Pacific Rim at times.

I'm talking only about situations were both CGI and Practical effects are a viable option, such as the Alien/Predator, in that case I would rather see a real physical effect, warts and all over an image created on a pc. I love Gigers Alien, effects have moved on but I wouldn't change a thing about him. It isn't about living ion the past either (I'm only 28 lol) The fact is, they look great to this day, they will still look great when my grand kids watch them. Using physical props isn't old fashioned just because we have the option to do effects on computers. Mr Winstons legacy is proof enough of that. I'm glad we have companies like ADI still going strong in the industry, and I'm very happy to see more and more directors starting to mention their use of physical effects again as a selling point. JJ being the latest although the trailer didn't quite back him up unfortunately..
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:49 AM   #35
Viper245
Crime Syndicate

I agree Python, there is something more authentic and lived in with the use of models and stop motion puppets in films. Too often CGI looks too clean and sanitized for my tastes.

Anymore pics to share of your LA trip, Paul?
Viper245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:58 AM   #36
Max Shreck
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

I totally agree with you Python!
I'm personally not against CGI, and I feel that the Stan Winston philosophy of creating characters, totally sums up my opinion about the matter: Blend them in such a way that you create a believable character. They are both great tools but unfortunately the Hollywood machine forgets what makes things real in their pursue of hyperrealistic crap.
Animatronics, and make up will always look better in close ups, period. Use CGI in order to create situations that would not be possible to create otherwise. I cannot stand the CGI overload. It looks fake and completely takes you out of the movie.
One of the best examples to this is the terrible I'm legend. What a great movie that could have been if the didn't push it silly with crap looking CGI creatures that supposed to look like infected humans!
Practical and CGI can work together if they play it smart.
Max Shreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:24 PM   #37
The Mule
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by toty21 View Post
I assume Sideshow is being referred to here? If it is them, they are slowly starting to annoy me...most of their efforts on any of these 2 lines have been mediocre for the most part
I'd say Sideshow and HCG. HCG usually does replicas and vehicles, which would be Chronicle's sweet spot imho, so I'd dare to blame more HCG than Sideshow.
Also, while I agree that Sideshow is extremely slow and hit and miss on both Alien and Predator lines, at least for Alien they've pulled out some very good pieces. The Big Chap Maquette is imho the definitive Big Chap piece out there (yes, more than Cinemaquette) and the recent Space Jockey has been a pleasant surprise.
The Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:42 PM   #38
grphyx1
Kingpin

I can't stop laughing at the plucked tweety. Love this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronicle CS View Post
Hey Guys,

Just got back from LA and there was a huge ice storm that delayed our return here in Dallas.

We had a lot of meetings in LA and hope to make some announcements very soon.

Thought I'd share some pictures from the trip....and just because we're goofing off with original props doesn't mean we're going to make them.

Paul

grphyx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 03:00 PM   #39
El Diablo
Doom Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by grphyx1 View Post
I can't stop laughing at the plucked tweety. Love this.
yeah that piece stood out to me also! great sculpt
El Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 04:13 PM   #40
grphyx1
Kingpin

If it got made I'd have to have it. Looks like it was a prop. It's now my wallpaper
grphyx1 is offline   Reply With Quote