Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 10-08-2005, 01:07 AM   #1
MiamiLoco
BD is the best (and I'm not talkin' about Bowen Designs)!!!

"Crisis on Infite Earths" Slipcase HC Error Version?!!

I got an extra copy when these first came out. I was going to sell my extra copy since the Absolute version is coming out, but it has come to my attention that I have the "rare" error version. How can you tell for sure? I think Pages 280 and 281 has the same panel on the bottom. How much are these "error" versions on for on Ebay?
MiamiLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 12:37 PM   #2
Delta Four-Two
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLoco
I got an extra copy when these first came out. I was going to sell my extra copy since the Absolute version is coming out, but it has come to my attention that I have the "rare" error version. How can you tell for sure? I think Pages 280 and 281 has the same panel on the bottom. How much are these "error" versions on for on Ebay?
Well, I can tell you from experience what the error in the book was.

Back when it came out about 3 or 4 tears ago, DC shipped it not realizing that 3-5 pages in the book had been misprinted . As I remember it, on each page the image printed seemed to have been accidentally offset. Meaning, only part of the image was even showing on the page. Example: The upper half of a page would be bone white while halfway down the page the intended image would be printed with the bottom portion and, say, the left half of the page missing completly. Truely, there was no way one could miss it.

The reason I know this is that I had ordered it from the comic book store I frequent back when it was fisrt solicited. And no less than 3, count 'em, 3 times, the copy that was shipped to the store was a misprinted error copy. At the time, I was really getting tickedm about it as I imagine a number of other people were as well. As such, it was for this reason that DC printed up a publicity sized poster, depicting the wraparound cover from "Crisis" issue #1, to be given free to the folks who had pre-ordered and the recieved the misprint edition of the HC as a kind of peace offering (It was a nice touch on their part).

I believe none of this would have happened had DC farmed out the printing of this collection to Graphitti Designs as they had in past instances in which the released a special HC edition of one of their more noteworthy tales (The "Kingdom Come" slipcase edition and "The Watchman" slipcase edition that was released back in the late 80's/early 90's). In both those cases mentioned, Graphetti did a phenonmanal job in reproduction of the sorce material as well as the quality of the overall package. So why DC chose to do the "Crisis" HC in house I have no idea. But by not doing so, they really did a job of consumer confidence in their product. I mean it was already dodgy enough that there are no "extra features" included in the "Crisis" HC. But the fact that they also just kinda "Half-Assed" the whole job really made DC look quite sloppy in their handling and execution of what should have been one of their absolute best "collected editions".
Delta Four-Two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 12:38 PM   #3
Delta Four-Two
Doh!

'Course now I wish I had kept my screwed up copy being that it's considered to be the super rare version to get now. Ahhhh, but so is hindsight, eh? One never really knows until it is too late.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:52 PM   #4
MiamiLoco

Thanks for the info guys. Like I said, I have two copies of this, one signed by Wolfman and Perez and the other I want to sell. How much should I expect to get on Ebay for the "error" version?
Old 10-08-2005, 10:03 PM   #5
Delta Four-Two
Doh!

Quote:
Thanks for the info guys. Like I said, I have two copies of this, one signed by Wolfman and Perez and the other I want to sell. How much should I expect to get on Ebay for the "error" version?
That's too cool. 'Cause my copy is signed by Wolfman and Perez as well (Both sigs from different Heroes Cons). Just got Wolfman to sign it this past summer.

Okay, I just checked eBay and it looks like there's one person on there selling an error copy. Starting bid: $99.99, Buy It Now: $159.99, so far no opening bid.

Aside from that there is a non-Error copy in an eBay store that has a Buy It Now of $99.99. And those appear to be the only original slipcase editions. The rest listed are all Ultimate Editions.

Because of the Perez/Wolfman autographs, you may draw a bit more attention than these two auctions seem to be drawing. Still, I'm not really sure how much more you could get because of them. Realisticly, I wouldn't try to ask more than around $150.00 for it and even that is a bit too much to ask. And being that anyone can go out and get the $30.00 trade paperback of it if reading it alone was their reason for even considering it's purchase, you're pretty much limited to having to count on a collector to be your likely customer. But you never know. The novelty of THOSE two autographs and THAT story could end up surprising you.

Another positive thing to consider, with Infinite Crisis finally coming out this Wednesday, the fever for old Crisis issues and such may come into demand. It's hard to tell at this point. But it is something to consider.
Old 10-08-2005, 10:12 PM   #6
Primal
Batman

Quote:
since the Absolute version is coming out
Crisis Absolute Edition?!?! Glad I held out on getting the trades!
Primal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 01:29 AM   #7
MiamiLoco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Four-Two
Okay, I just checked eBay and it looks like there's one person on there selling an error copy. Starting bid: $99.99, Buy It Now: $159.99, so far no opening bid.
uh, did you check the name of the seller??!! LOL!!

I'm not selling the autographed one, just the normal one. When it first came out, I purchased two on Ebay. One to keep and one to eventually sell. The one for keeps, I had signed while the one for sale, I am kind of FORCED to sell, since the "Absolute" version is around the corner.

Thank you all for your advice. Wish me luck
Old 10-09-2005, 07:55 AM   #8
Aarrgghh!!
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I'd rather have a corrected one. In this case you really are paying for someone elses mistake.
Aarrgghh!! is offline   Reply With Quote