Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 02-17-2008, 02:34 PM   #1
grandpa

"Brand New Day" - a theory

"Brand New Day" - a theory

is there the possibility that the new Spider-Man continuity presented in "Brand New Day" could be considered an 'alternate reality'it also made me wonder if it's possible that the new 'alternate' continuity is only temporary, and has been planned out with a built-in method of reversal. Could there be a return to the original continuity on the horizon?

It's difficult to reconcile many of the changes with wider continuity, and the retcon of certain elements (particularly the secret ID) would have a destructive effect on many of the most significant Spider-Man stories of the past. Also, the two explicit references that Peter has made to the devil in connection with Harry Osborn in the last two issues, combined with the shaky nature of Harry's resurrection (possible the most questionable element of the entire retcon) make me think that Mephisto is still going to have a presence in the post-"One More Day" continuity (possibly in Osborn-shaped form), suggesting that "Brand New Day" is more of a continuation of "One More Day" than it is a fresh start.

Also, the plot point concerning Peter's deal with the devil feels incomplete - reading "One More Day" as an isolated story, the devil wins: Peter is put in a lose-lose situation, and Mephisto gets what he wants. I'd be surprised if Marvel leaves it at that.

Of course, even if this does happen, it doesn't necessarily mean that that was the plan all along. It could be that Marvel are hedging their bets, laying vague clues which they could return to if they need to support a later retcon of the entire "One More Day"/"Brand New Day" stunt (Mary Jane's whisper to Mephisto is a good example of this kind of thing). Either way, I'll be interested to see how long it takes for the old status quo to return.