Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Giclees/Lithos/Prints/Posters

Old 06-13-2013, 11:27 AM   #1
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

When you know print collecting is out of control.

I realized this morning that in the last few months I've spent +/- $500 on prints. Usually that money goes for savings or other entertainment stuff like videogames. That's crazy money on prints that I haven't framed or will not frame for a while. But since they are limited and will in many cases increase in price, I get them.

Also, a few days ago I actually had a print nightmare. I dreamed I was checking the SF and someone posted that Mark Englert's TMNT variant was 2 per other turtle! I was going crazy in the dream.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:24 PM   #2
cstojano
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

Most of the prints I own decrease in price through time.
cstojano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 05:12 PM   #3
Prevail69
Kindly Asked To Leave

I myself am dealing with this as we speak... Im actually going thru all my prints and gonna try and recoup some funds thru ebay next week.
Prevail69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #4
BarrelCannon
Nightwing

If you own a portfolio because you don't have the money to frame all your prints I consider you out of control.

If you have more unframed prints than framed prints I consider you out of control.

P.s I consider myself out of control
BarrelCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #5
Simplyrob
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

Meh. Big difference between being a collector and being out of control. If you tried to buy every single print, that's maybe a bit out of control. Collecting limited artwork by a few favorite artists, I think just qualifies you as a dedicated specific collector. I'm trying to get all of Englerts pieces, but, honestly, the variant exploitation of the TMNT piece has really dissuaded me. Only changing the mask colors is not enough for me to have them all, IMO. By the way, the TMNT prices are dropping like crazy.
Simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 10:48 PM   #6
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prevail69 View Post
I myself am dealing with this as we speak... Im actually going thru all my prints and gonna try and recoup some funds thru ebay next week.
Yeah, eventually I'm going to sell some of my old posters I'm probably never going to frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrelCannon View Post
If you own a portfolio because you don't have the money to frame all your prints I consider you out of control.

If you have more unframed prints than framed prints I consider you out of control.

I thought you were talking about me at first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplyrob View Post
Meh. Big difference between being a collector and being out of control. If you tried to buy every single print, that's maybe a bit out of control. Collecting limited artwork by a few favorite artists, I think just qualifies you as a dedicated specific collector. I'm trying to get all of Englerts pieces, but, honestly, the variant exploitation of the TMNT piece has really dissuaded me. Only changing the mask colors is not enough for me to have them all, IMO. By the way, the TMNT prices are dropping like crazy.
Yeah those TMNT prints will be normal price in another week or so. Not many people really want a print of a Ninja Turtle swimming. Only the true fans.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:32 PM   #7
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrelCannon View Post

I couldn't possible disagree more. First off, most of the print collectors I know, including myself, actually prefer to store prints in portfolios and it has nothing to do with the cost of framing or the lack of space on the walls. I do all of my own matting and framing so the cost of framing is relatively inexpensive and I still prefer to store my prints in portfolios. Not to mention the fact that even with a decent sized home, your not going to be able to buy a lot of prints if one of your requirements is that it has to go up on the walls. depending on the size of the home, your talking maybe 20-30 prints at the most. I buy that many prints on a monthly basis, lol. Taking that approach....well, thats decorating, not collecting.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote