Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 06-08-2014, 11:39 AM   #11
dechirico7
The Flash

I have no problems with gluten, but I still try to eat gluten free. I also try to omit as many carbs as possible from my diet. No one needs all that junk.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:22 PM   #12
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithlord32 View Post
Im not myself though I know a couple people that have celiacs disease.

Yup. That's what it is. Grade 2. Intestinal biopsy results came back. Bah. Well, at least I have explanation for the digestion problems. Lots of changes comin', I think. Not lethal, just requires much monitoring moving forward or else more complications will result.
risingstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 12:42 AM   #13
Underdog07
Hercules

I have 2 close friends who have cut gluten from their diets due to allergies and celiac disease. They are quite happy with the results and, while meals take a longer time to think out, they do not see, to be missing anything. Plus there are lots of gluten free options on the market now adays. The only food that really has no sub is bread. I am happy to get advice from either/both of them if you like.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:01 AM   #14
Snadinator
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
Anyone here Gluten intolerant? Just got the news form my doc today that I may be gluten intolerant. I'm going to make an appointment for an intestinal biopsy tomorrow, which should be a wonderfully joyous experience........

Yeesh... Googling gluten-free foods is depressing. The "avoid foods" list is even worse.... It's not fatal, but goodness, it certainly is a life transition.
You can learn to cook with alternatives like almond flour and xanthum gum. It may take some time but you will learn to cook good food this way.
Snadinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:23 AM   #15
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post
I have 2 close friends who have cut gluten from their diets due to allergies and celiac disease. They are quite happy with the results and, while meals take a longer time to think out, they do not see, to be missing anything. Plus there are lots of gluten free options on the market now adays. The only food that really has no sub is bread. I am happy to get advice from either/both of them if you like.

Out of curiosity, did they lose any weight? Any difference in energy, sleep, or mood? Also, it's one thing to cut down on something and be away from it. However, the constant exposure to gluten food is like a former-smoker living with chain smokers... lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snadinator View Post
You can learn to cook with alternatives like almond flour and xanthum gum. It may take some time but you will learn to cook good food this way.

With a 4 and 6 year old, time is stretched quite thin as it is. However, I will find the time. It's possible my kids could develop this as well so it'll be good to be on top of things. I'll be making an appointment with a dietician soon.

Thanks guys!
Old 07-29-2014, 01:31 PM   #16
Snadinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post

With a 4 and 6 year old, time is stretched quite thin as it is. However, I will find the time. Itis possible my kids could develop this as well so it'll be good to be on top of things. I'll be making an appointment with a dietician soon.

Thanks guys!
All the more reason to get proper dietary habbits. Gluten filled foods are poor dietary choices anyways. What I feel for you is the odd day when you want take out.

get a slow cooker and bbq. Learn to live off meat, poultry, fish, eggs, nuts, fruits and vegetables. Slow cookers are my best friend. It cooks while I am at work. Ready when I get back. Vegetable steamers are a good friend too. Learn to marinate meats to keep it from being dull.

seriously if you are celiac you need to change. You are destroying your stomavh lining and GI tract. You will not be properly absorbing nutrients and you will get very sick.

a coworker of mine has a celiac daughter and he had to go through the process of learning to cook gluten free as he very well couldn't eat junk in front of her and keep her out. It was a lifesryle change but he is glad he did it. His whole family lost weight and gained a lot of energy.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:36 PM   #17
Snadinator

Best of luck though. I didn't mean to sound patronizing. I tend to stick to more paleo like diets as carbs bloat me up something fierce and I am lactose intolerant to the nth degree. You'be surprised how many foods have lactose. Mcdonald fries, processed meats.... the cleaner I eat, the better I feel. Steak with steamed veggies and a spoonful of fish oil and I am top shape.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:45 PM   #18
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snadinator View Post
Best of luck though. I didn't mean to sound patronizing. I tend to stick to more paleo like diets as carbs bloat me up something fierce and I am lactose intolerant to the nth degree. You'be surprised how many foods have lactose. Mcdonald fries, processed meats.... the cleaner I eat, the better I feel. Steak with steamed veggies and a spoonful of fish oil and I am top shape.

I didn't take it that way at all. I truly appreciate you chiming in and offering the wonderful advice. Thanks!