Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Diamond Select

Old 11-11-2018, 01:38 PM   #1
Gothamite
Phoenix

Diamond Statue Lines Scales, 2015/2016 Onwards

Here's a link to Diamond Select's YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/CollectDST/videos

I see a lot of confusion and mis-information about statue scales. The most common mistake people make is using overall height, counting the base, when determining scale. You have to measure from the bottom of the foot heel to the top of the head for a true height. If a statue isn't standing or lying straight, you have to measure the lower legs, the thighs, the torso, and the neck/head separately, then add each separate measurement for the true height.

--------------------------------------------------

6 feet = 72 inches

1/2 scale = 36 inches
1/3 scale = 24 inches
1/4 scale = 18 inches
1/5 scale = 14.4 inches
1/6 scale = 12 inches
1/7 scale = 10.3 inches ("Bowen" scale)
1/8 scale = 9 inches
1/9 scale = 8 inches
1/10 scale = 7.2 inches
1/11 scale = 6.55 inches
1/12 scale = 6 inches

These are statues made by DC Collectibles, but their poses make it easy to show the differences between 1/8, 1/7, and 1/6 scales:

Milestones (resin): 1/6 scale

Premier Collection (resin): 1/7 scale

Gallery (PVC): I think these were 1/7 scale until the second half of 2018, when Diamond started making the DC Comics Gallery statues in 1/8 scale. The Marvel Gallery Rogue Savage Land statue also looks smaller to me, though I haven't measured it with a ruler. The DCAU Timmverse ones are definitely 1/7 scale, though. The shift in scales "makes sense" to distinguish between the cheaper PVC line and the more expensive Premier Collection line, but consistency is now gone.

Here's a pic with a mix of statues:
Milestones Doctor Strange (Benedict Cumberbatch) and Thor (comics)
Premier Collection Captain America and Gamora
Gallery PVC Falcon as Captain America
Gallery PVC Hulk from Thor: Ragnarok (who is supposed to be bigger than a 6-ft-tall person)

Here're pix of Premier Rogue, Wolverine, and Gamora, measured:

Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 01:39 PM   #2
Gothamite
Phoenix

Here's a pic of the Premier Collection Adam West Batman next to several 1/6-scale DC Collectibles statues.

Here's a pic of the Premier Collection Yvonne Craig Batgirl next to Tweeterhead's, which is 1/6-scale. DST's statue is definitely 1/7-scale.

Premier Collection BTAS Catwoman is definitely 1/7-scale, same as DC Collectibles Bombshells and Cover Girls by Joelle Jones.

Some collectors mix & match DST PVC statues with Kotobukiya's Bishoujo line. Here are some pix showing DST Marvel Gallery statues with Bishoujo Spider-Gwen and Batgirl.

Here's a pic I found on Instagram showing Marvel comics-based Deadpool, Iron Man, and Spider-Man with MCU Tom Holland Spider-Man. It looks like Tom Holland is in a smaller scale than the comics-based statues.

Old 11-11-2018, 01:45 PM   #3
Gothamite
Phoenix

Here're the DCAU Timmverse Black Canary and Huntress with the Cover Girls by Artgerm Black Canary and Huntress. They're definitely different scales.

Some (such as Wonder Woman) were undersized, though:

However, the new DC Comics Harley Quinn is 1/8 scale like the Artgerm Black Canary. Nightwing is rather small, almost 1/9-scale with an oversized head!

Old 11-11-2018, 01:49 PM   #4
RogerThat
Fantastic Four

This will help me understand scales a bit better, thanks
RogerThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 01:52 PM   #5
AlexLothos
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerThat View Post
Same here. The first post alone was super informative and the pics take things to the next level!
AlexLothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 01:58 PM   #6
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerThat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexLothos View Post
Same here. The first post alone was super informative and the pics take things to the next level!
Old 11-13-2018, 11:26 AM   #7
spriggan
The Spirit

Thanks for the info. Another issue with the scale is that most people think that all characters are 6 feet tall. Many of them are not. The x-23 from diamond select is about 9 inches and she suppose to be 5'1".
spriggan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 12:13 PM   #8
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by spriggan View Post
Thanks for the info. Another issue with the scale is that most people think that all characters are 6 feet tall. Many of them are not. The x-23 from diamond select is about 9 inches and she suppose to be 5'1".
Yeah, Big Barda standing next to Black Canary should feel like a scale difference because of their size difference in the comics.

Also, great thread idea Gothamite.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 12:59 PM   #9
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by spriggan View Post
Well, if you think of her as a 1/7-scale statue, she'd be 5'3" "in real life".
Old 11-13-2018, 02:03 PM   #10
spriggan
The Spirit

That is the way I see it but I have mine next to the DC cover girl statue that is about 1/8 scale and they are about the same scale. For the Marvel premier line, 1/7 scale is correct for the cable statue. He is 11" from top of the head to the bottom of his shoe so he should be about 6'5" in the real life.

For those that has knowledge of producing resin statue, doesn't the resin shrink a bit as it cools down after casting? May be that is why sometimes the final product is slightly smaller than what the scale said.
spriggan is offline   Reply With Quote