ProducerSculptor

The Mighty Reviews 4/8/10

Wktf’s Reviews

Superman: Secret Origin #5 (of 6)
DC Comics
Written by: Geoff Johns
Drawn by: Gary Frank
Cover by: Gary Frank

Johns’ and Franks’ reimagining of Superman’s origin continues with this issue and, with the Man of Steel already having made his presence known (in classic a classic Christopher Reeve helicopter save), Metropolis still is undecided what to make of this strange red and blue flying man. Even when saving citizens and firefighters alike from a blazing inferno, in typically spectacular fashion, the public still is uncertain what to make of the Man of Steel or his motives. Clearly, though, Big Blue has a number of fans, primarily his new pal, Jimmy Olsen, the only one able to get Superman photos. Much to Luthor’s anger, the Daily Planet has begun to push the public over to Superman’s side. And now Lois Lane and Superman are finding themselves more and more comfortable in each others’ company, in this case much to the chagrin of General Lane who’s volunteered to partner with Luthor, kind of like signing a deal with the devil, toward a common goal.

With this issue we see the creation of another of Superman’s most important and dangerous foes, but with a slightly different twist that is both alarming, in terms of an encounter with Lois at the Planet offices that that turns brutal, and presents a great moment for Clark to intercede in a heroic way while still maintaining that incredibly goofy and innocent face that Gary Frank so beautifully renders. Here, as well, we see Lois begin to realize that there’s more to Clark than first meets the eye and, as General Lane turns his sights on Superman, we’re treated to the first moment where Superman begins to lose his naiveté as he’s forced to strike out and defend himself. Frank’s use of shadows here present a very different Man of Steel, one who’s not only menacing but also can be a real threat.

But, as with all the prior issues, the real highlights of this issue and series continue to be the beginning of Luthor’s hatred toward Superman, the beginning of Superman’s friendship with Lois and Jimmy, and the absolutely uncanny way Gary Frank is channeling Christopher Reeve in his portrayal of the Man of Steel. I love the way Superman’s just figuring out how to carry himself as the hero he will become. As I’ve stated before, with this title Johns and Frank have shown how truly talented they are, as if anyone needed proof of this for either of them. A story that’s so well known to all of us, and feels as old as the Bible, has become fresh and new, something we can look forward with every installment. And that’s pretty damn impressive.

The Lone Ranger #21
Dynamite Entertainment
Written by: Brett Matthews
Drawn by: Sergio Cariello
Cover by: John Cassaday

Though Dynamite promised they wouldn’t publish Lone Ranger stories until an arc’s installments were all under wraps to ensure more regular monthly publishing, issue #20 seemed to take forever to hit the shelves. Fortunately, this issue is right on schedule and thankfully so. We’re still in the midst of this “Resolve” story arc which promises to be the most terrifying conflict both The Lone Ranger and Tonto have faced since teaming up. And, this is a horror that’s literally been in the making since the series started a few years ago. Seriously, conflict reveals itself in multiple channels for our heroes. Leading up to issue #20, both John Reid (The Lone Ranger) and Tonto received a bit of a shock as Reid’s widowed sister-in-law revealed to whom she wanted to give her heart. Despite hints Matthews and Cariello had been dropping, it turned out not to be whom we all expected. In addition to this conflict of the heart, our heroes are being framed for the murder of a lawman.

And, probably related to this problem and the most dangerous problem for our heroes and their loved ones, Butch Cavendish, who was responsible for the Lone Ranger’s origin, has tracked him down to take vengeance for the trouble our two heroes have been causing him. Butch ambushed and murdered Reid’s father and brother, along with the other Texas Rangers in their troupe. He’s a brutal, cruel and sadistic killer, and he’s set his sights not only on Reid’s sister-in-law but on her young son, too. Sometimes, in comics as in movies, the most terrifying scenes are the ones taken off camera. Unfortunately for those concerned, that’s every bit the case here.

This title’s been one of my favorites every month it comes out. Not always the most action packed (but with plenty of action on enough occasions), this book’s been long on plot and development, characterization, and relationship driven storytelling. This issue happens to take the story, tension and trauma and ratchet them all up to exponential levels. Matthews is driving the story hard now to the point of desperation. And Marcelo Pinto’s colors are every bit the hero that Crariello’s pencils are, capturing the explosive brilliance of a sunrise, the dry graininess of the desert, the dark muskiness of a cave, or the muted tones of these western towns. All in all, this title continues to be one of the most satisfying comic book packages of any publisher.

S.H.I.E.L.D. #1
Marvel Comics
Written by: Jonathan Hickman
Drawn by: Dustin Weaver
Covers by: Gerald Parel and Dustin Weaver

The currently running and consistently brilliant Marvels Project mini-series takes us to the very beginning of the Marvel Superhero Universe. But this ambitious title goes that project one better, taking us to the very beginning of the Marvel Universe, toggling from the early 1950s period from which the tale is being told, to as far back as 2620 BC when, in ancient Egypt, an organization formed from the heroic actions of one man who determined to lead his men against a world devouring horde known well to X-Men fans, stating, “This is not how the world ends!” From that generation to the next, an organization known as S.H.I.E.L.D. stood between humanity and its greatest threats (including, it appears, a pre-modern era encounter with a certain world devourer).

Bringing important historical figures, such as Leonardo Da Vinci, Sir Isaac Newton and Galileo, and adding characters like Nathaniel Richards and Howard Stark, fathers to our own Reed Richards and Tony Stark, Hickman is spinning a wondrous and mythic feeling tale that reinvents S.H.I.E.L.D. from the super spy agency we’ve all known it to be today to something whose origins feel even grander and cosmic in scope. The drastic time jumping as we move back and forth between various inflection points in S.H.E.I.L.D.’s history might be confusing or unsettling if it weren’t for Hickman’s incredibly tight plotting, narrative and dialogue. Hickman’s been getting props for his work on Fantastic Four but this effort is on a completely different level as far as I’m concerned. And Weaver’s art is just spectacular, taking Hickman’s story and elevating it to a level of importance and grandeur. Di Vinci’s flight into the sun, reminiscent of Icarus’ tragic flight, is just awesome as is the final page and teaser for the next issue.

I haven’t been this excited about a new concept and title in a very long time. Maybe not since Nova or Tomb of Dracula made their respective splashes back in the 1970s. I’ll stick with this exciting and high concept running title at least for as long as this creative team stays on it. Most definitely, this is my pick of the week.

Sam's Reviews

Captain America Black Panther: Flags of Our Fathers #1 (of 4)
Marvel Comics
Written by: Reginald Hudlin (damn straight)
Drawn by: Denys Cowan (like chocolate and peanut butter yo)

For those of you who have been sleeping under a rock, you may have missed Reginald Hudlin’s run on the Black Panther. He redefined the character for a generation. Under Reggie’s pen T’Challa went from b lister to a major player in the Marvel U, marrying into one of Marvel’s first families (the X-men, duh) and sitting at the table with Tony Stark and Reed Richards. He stepped away from T’challa for a minute, and now he’s back, back like a motherfu**er with Denys Cowan in tow. Denys Cowan? You may know him, you know, he redefined the Question back in the ‘80’s in one of that decades most critically acclaimed comic runs, co-founded Milestone Comics (Static, Hardware), had a healthy run on Batman and Detective Comics and most recently redefined the Joker for a new generation (the “Lovers and Madmen” storyline from “Batman Confidential”). Denys Cowan and Reginald Hudlin working on the Black Panther is destiny, a labor of love, chocolate and peanut butter or Cagney and Lacey even (tip of the hat to Big Daddy Kane). Announced this past year at SDCC (where you can frequently see the two of them walking the floor) this book has been on a lot of folks most anticipated list for awhile. That being said, did it live up to the hype? Hell yeah it did…

So yeah, Nazi’s heads on pikes in the jungle (goddamn that was bad a**). Okay, wait, I’m getting ahead of myself. Our story opens with the Howling Commandos, specifically Gabe Jones. Gabe is our narrator (more or less), and he takes us through his history with the Howlers, Nick Fury and eventually Captain America. The set-up is short and sweet, and soon enough the Howlers are en route to Africa? Why? Hitler needs vibranium to build his transatlantic missile, and he figures a bunch of Africans with spears can’t stop him from getting what he needs. Of course he figured wrong and that’s how we got Nazi’s heads on pikes (goddamn). Anyway, Uncle Sam doesn’t have to much faith in the locals either, so in come Captain America and the Howling Commandos. When they touch ground Captain America makes first contact, and sees the Wakandans can handle themselves. That’s great, but he (and America) wants them to be with the allies in the war. King T’Chaka (the Black Panther during WW2, T’Challas father) has no interest in the rest of the world and wants Wakanda to be left alone to its business. So yeah, Captain America (and by extension, America and the allied powers) is not cool with that so a fight ensues. It doesn’t go well for Cap, and the Howlers move in to back him up but are stopped by a bunch of bad a** Wakandan soldiers who have way more than spears. The Nazi’s haven’t given up either, and they’ve enlisted their own super soldier to retrieve Wakanda’s vibranium and yes. I’m guessing there will be more Nazi’s heads on pikes (goddamn)…

This book is the sh**. Sorry, I have no other words. Reginald Hudlin speaks to the fans, and, goddamn, does he speak well. I mean seriously, Nick Fury and the Howling Commandos, Cap, the Black Panther, the Red Skull and Baron Von Strucker heading for a big showdown? Drawn by Denys Cowan? Yeah. Nuff Said. Buy the book, buy the eventual trade, put the cover art as your iphone wallpaper, screw everything else. Classic storytelling is back, yo, and its about goddamn time.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:05 AM   #2
kal-el
Statue Forum MacDaddy

great reviews as always guys. JOe you rreviews on Superman were spot on. This is currently the only Superman book I am getting. It's eerie seeing Christopher Reeve as Superman in the comic, but so right. I am loving this mini series and really wish that it was longer but it has been great. Also I knew you woul dreview Lone Ranger. I tell you as another who has picked this up since issue # 1 (however long ago that was) we are finally getting close to the Cavendish/Lone Ranger showdown. Though Tonto may take him out after this issue. I love this title but the delays are frustrating. But for quality and the same creative team well worth the wait
kal-el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:13 AM   #3
Primal
Batman

Agreed Joe! Supes Secret Origin gives us such a great mix of nostalgia for the Superman movie while giving us a fresh look at his beginnings. Loving Geoff's take on the beginnings of Luthor, General Lane and the others' distaste for Superman. Gary Frank is a genius with his pencils.
Primal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:09 AM   #4
supahman
I don't have a solution but I admire the problem.

Superman Secret Origins filled the hole i was feeling with no Green Lantern Goodies this week.. Fabulous book.. I m gonna get teh HC for Sure..
supahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:59 AM   #5
protector2814
Phoenix

Thanks for the Reviews! Joe...I read S.H.I.E.L.D. #1 soon after reading your review and just couldn't agree more. This is one of those comics I dream about, and can compare it with the books of my past that just came out of nowhere, with little buzz and just blew my mind. As fabulous as Weaver's art was in this 1st ish, Hickman's writing was outstanding. I haven't read a book this engaging because of the writing in a long time. It was paced, intelligent, and very well executed.
I don't know if this was a completely original idea (is S.H.I.E.L.D. supposed to be an eons old organization? has this been suggested before?) but if Hickman came up with this idea, my hat's off to him. This feels fresh! Which is the highest praise I can give a book of late.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:12 PM   #6
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

I don't think this is territory that's been covered before, protector. Pretty sure this is a brand new concept. Now, if so, did Hickman come up with it or some editor or someone else? Not sure about that one. But Hickman's execution's pretty spectacular.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote