Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics > The Mighty Reviews

Old 05-21-2009, 08:42 AM   #1
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

the Mighty Reviews 5/21/09

Not incredibly Mighty yet this week as we have only Sam's review to kick off this Thursday. Our fearless Leader Joe has been scrambling and out of town so you may not see reviews from him this week.

I will be posting my reviews either tonight or tomorrow morning so hang tight gang.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:42 AM   #2
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

Sam Wilson's Review

Thunderbolts #132
Marvel Comics
Written by: Andy Diggle
Drawn by: Roberto de La Torre
Cover by: Francesco Mattina

The Thunderbolts, once upon a time Marvel’s worst kept secret, are the Marvel U’s premiere team of anti-heroes. Literally, considering they were all villains at one point. Throughout the years they’ve changed their roster with Moonstone and Songbird always managing to hang on (except for the John Arcudi run when Thunderbolts became an underground fight club, yeah, I know…), and most recently Norman Osborne took over as chairperson. In case you have been under a rock, Norman Osborne used this as a stepping-stone to pretty much take over the Marvel Universe (Dark Reign for those who have been preoccupied elsewhere). So the Thunderbolts have changed it up once again, still villains, still ruthless and bad-assed, probably even more so now with Andy Diggle helming things. For those of you who don’t know his work, Andy Diggle is right up there with the biggest bad-asses in comic books (Jason Aaron, Garth Ennis and Warren Ellis would be on that list). He got his start on 2000 AD, giving that book balls once again, and I personally was introduced to him on DC/Vertigo’s retake on “The Losers” (one of the most underrated comics of the last 10 years). He transformed Ollie Queen from bi**-ass to bad-ass in “Green Arrow: Year One”. So how is he doing with Marvel’s #1 team of bad guys?

Andy Diggle started his run on the T-bolts a few issues back by shaking up the membership once again (in case you missed it, the old T-bolts are now the Dark Avengers, but whatever). The new team is led by Yelena Belova (the blonde Black Widow, apparently getting burnt to a crisp in the Savage Land in the “New Avengers” didn’t keep her down), creepy Ant-man, Ghost, Headsman and Paladin (except for Paladin I don’t know who any of those guys are nor do I care). Osborne set it up so the new team made themselves look good by saving Air Force One, and now they have the full support of the president. Recently we’ve just seen them go toe to toe with Deadpool, and yes, it ended about how you would expect it (well, not really, both sides got beat and Deadpool sort of made time with Yelena). This of course brings us to our current issue, a stand alone tale. It opens with some face time with the T-bolts, and yes, they are fairly psychotic, but in a multi-leveled interesting way, not a clichéd static way. Then the team is off to Mandipor to bring in Mister X, their champion fighter and a legendary assassin who is wanted in 17 different countries. As has been the norm for this series, things don’t go they way you think, and all I can say is the T-bolts is going to be the book to watch as far as “Dark Reign” is concerned…

Andy Diggle, as I’ve stated before, is one of the most underrated guys in comics. Solid story, good dialogue, and enough bad-ass to last you until next month. Him on the Thunderbolts; putting Yelena Belova in charge? Genius. Word…
Old 05-21-2009, 04:35 PM   #3
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Wktf's Reviews

The Dawg is oh, so correct. I've been scrambling in and out of airports and right now am dog-tired. Picked up my books and read three over lunch. Have to say, not too overwhelmed with any of them. So, pellet reviews:

Captain America #50
Marvel Comics
Written by: Ed Brubaker
Drawn by: Luke Ross
Cover by: Steve Epting

It's Bucky's birthday and he's being shot at. Just a day in the life if you wear Cap's uniform. But, as he's dodging bullets and heat seeking missiles he thinks back on prior birthdays before he became Cap's partner, during his time with Cap and even as the Winter Soldier.

Unlike Bru's other Cap work, this single issue falls pretty much flat on it's face. Ross' art just isn't Epting's. I know I've made this complaint before but it's just a disappointment. And the story just meanders and ends on a rather cliched note that just doesn't ring true for this brooding solitary character. Truly underwhelming.

The Compete Dracula
Dynamite Entertainment
Written by: Leah Moore, John Reppion
Painted by: Colton Worley
Covers by: John Cassaday

This lavishly painted and dark, moody rendering of Bram Stoker's Dracula is meant to be the single most exhaustive adaptation out there. A tall order considering that Marvel's take on this story by Roy Thomas and Dick Giordano is pretty phenomenal. But this creative team does, in fact, provide a pretty dense, if not a bit slow moving, original version of this classic horror story. And what's supposed to make this the most complete version is the inclusion of Stoker's short story, "Dracula's Guest," as the intro of this series.

Worley's paints do a fantastic job of conveying the repulsive nature of Transyvania's Count as well as Jonathan's growing horror as he begins to discern his predicament. And the semi innocent glimpses of Mina and Lucy certainly portend what's to come for them. Lovers of this novel should give this effort a try. I did find the narrative dense in this format and the pacing is a bit slow but, still, the horror of this tales comes through loud and clear.

Batman: Battle for the Cowl #3 of 3
DC Comics
Written by: Tony Daniel
Drawn by: Tony Daniel
Cover by: Tony Daniel

Well, this title felt pretty flat compared to the first two which I really enjoyed. And, while there are several most definite conclusions (the primary villain is vanquished, the cowl is donned) we all think we know who the new Batman is, and he's exactly who we always thought it would be, but still don't know for sure. Also, it looks like Robin's changing guard as well and the fate of poor Tim Drake is left open. And the villain who's slowing been bringing Gotham to its knees is still out there.

So, there are nearly as many questions as there are answers. One thing's for sure, though, and that's that the art is stunning. Daniel's one of the best out there, especially on Batman, and he really gave this title his all. Especially the scene involving all the characters in Nightwing's posse. So, while I was disappointed in this final installment, it still moved at a brisk pace and packed some great art. While not too great, still, not too bad.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 04:57 PM   #4
THECLOWN KNIGHT
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Agree with you Wktf about the Epting art.

It appears that there will be no more Epting art on Cap now that he's working at that new big project with Bru.
THECLOWN KNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 05:29 PM   #5
protector2814
Phoenix

Joe, I had it in my hand and was ready to pay, when I put the Dracula book back on the rack. Do you really think it's worth a go? I've read or watched so many definitive Darcula's over the years, when cutting comic costs, this book took a hit. You know I love the big guy, so I'm askin' you....is it worth it? Or will this just be a book to look at once and never revisit?

You're review of Cap was dead-on. With comics at $4 a pop now, I felt this just wasn't worth it.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:04 PM   #6
Primal
Batman

Cap fell flat indeed. Was just an ok issue but we'll see if the upcoming sidekick breathes new life into this sinking ship. Mind you it's not a horrible book...but it's had much better days.

I enjoyed the JSA Stargirl birthday issue much more than this one. MUCH.
Primal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 10:52 PM   #7
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
Joe, I had it in my hand and was ready to pay, when I put the Dracula book back on the rack. Do you really think it's worth a go? I've read or watched so many definitive Darcula's over the years, when cutting comic costs, this book took a hit. You know I love the big guy, so I'm askin' you....is it worth it? Or will this just be a book to look at once and never revisit?

You're review of Cap was dead-on. With comics at $4 a pop now, I felt this just wasn't worth it.
I'd let this Dracula rest on the shelf. For what it was, it was pretty good. Painted art was nicely done but it's as an overall package it's nothing better than what I'm sure you've already sampled.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:47 AM   #8
supahman
I don't have a solution but I admire the problem.

Hey wktf, I can see you ain't gung ho on Battle fr the cowl...
I haven't been following it.. but i wanted a jumping on Point.. You figure this is it??

I love JH Williams Art.. n am wondering..

Whats next fr Batman.. oh.. n when's the Quitely series startin..
supahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 11:39 AM   #9
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

Well, I liked Bucky's place in the Avengers being recognised, and don't begrudge him his ending here. He's been brooding and solitary for a while, part of living up to Steve's legacy means leaving the moping behind and embracing his new role in the MU. It's not an instant classic, but it's an OK character issue. Luke Ross has done better work though.

Some great pages in that history of Cap bonus though.
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 02:55 PM   #10
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDH View Post
Some great pages in that history of Cap bonus though.
Totally agree. I didn't give them any mention as they were historical snapshot pages, but you're certainly correct.