Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics > The Mighty Reviews

Old 07-02-2009, 01:45 PM   #11
rilynil
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

I hate to admit, but I was a little underwhelmed with Captain America Reborn No. 1, as well. I'm sure the story will pick up, though.
rilynil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 01:50 PM   #12
kal-el
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Joe as the ultimate Cap fan on here what did you think of Reborn # 1?
kal-el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 03:04 PM   #13
stormshadow75x
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal-el View Post
Allright i'm gonna say it " I am finally disappointed in Brubaker" . I have loved everything this guy has written over the last 5 years from Gotham central to Criminal but I feel he kinda "jumped the shark" here with Reborn # 1. I read it at my LCS and put it back on the shelf . Displaced in time huh? Does this look similar to what a certain Dark Knight at DC has been shown already to be. This just lacks originality and Bru can do better. It's comics I know and death is not absolute but i always feel time travel is a cop out, like when we were led to believe Mar-Vell had come back the same way I was pissed. Now we are led to believ that Cap is displaced as well. The thing with Batman at the end of Final Crisis was a teaser for a future story so fandom knows Bruce will come back and where he is, with Cap we were to assume he was dead until later. With so many ways for him to come back I feel this may be the weakest. Maybe i'm being too hard on Brubaker and hopefully he wil come through. Either way I'll probably get the trade when it comes out, and hope that is the only thing similar to Morrison's Final Crisis crapfest.
Good point
stormshadow75x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 03:30 PM   #14
bat_collector
Galactus

Joe, and we were doing so well agreeing.

I love the Brainiac storyline!
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:27 PM   #15
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal-el View Post
Joe as the ultimate Cap fan on here what did you think of Reborn # 1?
I'm not as disappointed as everyone else here seems to be.

To start, my questions include:

- Who did Namor and Stark bury in the arctic sea, if not Cap?
- Whose body, reduced to Steve Rogers original scrawny self, was on the table after the shooting?
- As noted, whose spirit rose from the dead for the conversation with Thor in Thor #11?

But these probably are all questions Brubaker's hoping we're asking and hopefully will be answering.

As for the issue, I have to say, it was kind of exciting to read Cap's voice again in a comic. Just a plain old visceral reaction. The idea of him bounding around the time stream is kind of a cool and novel approach, I think, though I'm having a hard time with how clearly dead he seemed (see Thor #11 again) to see him like this. Like when Captain Mar-Vell showed up during Secret Invasion.

I dug Hitch's panels. Wide screen, movie-like excitement and plenty of action. And Cap's obvious confusion, combined with the Fury/Bucky/Widow connection, combined with Norman Osborn's involvement with Zola (does he know the Skull's in there?), combined with the Mighty Avenger involvement I felt mixed up the story enough, and created some velocity in the comic, that was pretty cool.

So, come on guys, it's the first issue and the jury should still be out at this point. Let's give Bru the credit he deserves to at least see how this is going to play out and how my/our questions will be answered. Calling this a crap-fest or anything like that is just premature.

In the end, overall, I liked the issue.

Oh, and bat_collector, we were bound to disagree on something again, right?
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 06:48 PM   #16
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
I'm not as disappointed as everyone else here seems to be.

To start, my questions include:

- Who did Namor and Stark bury in the arctic sea, if not Cap?
- Whose body, reduced to Steve Rogers original scrawny self, was on the table after the shooting?
- As noted, whose spirit rose from the dead for the conversation with Thor in Thor #11?

But these probably are all questions Brubaker's hoping we're asking and hopefully will be answering.

As for the issue, I have to say, it was kind of exciting to read Cap's voice again in a comic. Just a plain old visceral reaction. The idea of him bounding around the time stream is kind of a cool and novel approach, I think, though I'm having a hard time with how clearly dead he seemed (see Thor #11 again) to see him like this. Like when Captain Mar-Vell showed up during Secret Invasion.

I dug Hitch's panels. Wide screen, movie-like excitement and plenty of action. And Cap's obvious confusion, combined with the Fury/Bucky/Widow connection, combined with Norman Osborn's involvement with Zola (does he know the Skull's in there?), combined with the Mighty Avenger involvement I felt mixed up the story enough, and created some velocity in the comic, that was pretty cool.

So, come on guys, it's the first issue and the jury should still be out at this point. Let's give Bru the credit he deserves to at least see how this is going to play out and how my/our questions will be answered. Calling this a crap-fest or anything like that is just premature.

In the end, overall, I liked the issue.

Oh, and bat_collector, we were bound to disagree on something again, right?
Well to me it makes sense that all of those were Steve at different times and his body is in the sea but his mind/spirit is traveling through time that would explain when he was with Thor he couldn't cross over because he was influx.
Brubaker is a great writer but the story did kinda go off track.
What I want to know is what was the whole point of the shooting in the first place?
Now IMO for Steve to come back he's going to need a body so i'm thinking a clone will work seeing how the original body isn't in shape that's were Tony,reed and Hank come in maybe even Zola.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 01:30 AM   #17
supahman
I don't have a solution but I admire the problem.

Whatever u say, i think reborn is a whole lot better than Brand new Day... i think i'm gonna give it a shot.. n i wanted steve back so baaad..

No one got Deadpool?? Deadpool, zombies, Cavemen, Zombie Cavemen,sabretooths, Kazaar and Dinosaurs???

Muaro cascioli is brilliant.. you guys shd get the Trials of Shazaam vol 1 and 2.. a great origin tale for the new captain marvel !!
supahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 01:47 AM   #18
mwf6171
internet forum tough guy

Location: Gore/Aussie Land!!! well Kansas City, MO actually..
Quote:
Originally Posted by supahman View Post
Whatever u say, i think reborn is a whole lot better than Brand new Day... i think i'm gonna give it a shot.. n i wanted steve back so baaad..

No one got Deadpool?? Deadpool, zombies, Cavemen, Zombie Cavemen,sabretooths, Kazaar and Dinosaurs???

Muaro cascioli is brilliant.. you guys shd get the Trials of Shazaam vol 1 and 2.. a great origin tale for the new captain marvel !!
I picked it up today! Looks like it has the potential to be a good book!!!
mwf6171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 04:19 AM   #19
supahman
I don't have a solution but I admire the problem.

Potential, i am just worried when they will run out of Jokes... With Bullseye and Deadpool in the main deadpool title ( Hilarious ).. and then Suicide kings ( which i will be gettin in trade )..
Looks like deadpool will be the new wolverine..
supahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 06:04 AM   #20
abarron
Batman

A little off topic but did anyone pick up Deadpool Suicide King #3?
Got mine friday and haven't read it yet but have flicked through it.
That last panel is causing me some concern for the Merc with a mouth's future
abarron is offline   Reply With Quote