Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 12-29-2018, 12:34 PM   #1
XMRogue
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Selling on eBay

Hello - I saw a few posts on buying on eBay but wanted to get thoughts on selling.

I was selling a couple of my pieces as I'm moving and noticed on eBay people asking to buy items outside of eBay for lower asking prices. The thought process would be that I wouldn't pay eBay their 10%, and they can offer maybe 8% less or something. I said no as this is a clear violation of eBay policies. This experience made me stop dead in my tracks and I unlisted my statues.

YouTube is also filled with videos of people getting scammed out of higher priced items on eBay. Essentially the buyer claims the item was not received, or claims you sent them the wrong item. Apparently eBay nearly always sides with the buyer. Some stories include sellers being defrauded out of $1000+ items (which these statues can be) by the buyer claiming they were sent sand or rocks.

I know I can require a signature and tracking to avoid "buyer never received item" claims, buy insurance for items broken or damaged during shipping, but am not too sure how to protect against the possibility of someone claiming I never sent a statue and sending me back rocks.

The fact patterns I've seen from eBay sellers on YouTube, and the unjust results, worries me as a small collector.

Anyone have experience with higher priced goods on eBay as a seller and was it a positive experience?
XMRogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 12:40 PM   #2
Gothamite
Phoenix

You just have to be smarter than the buyer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
I usually send four or five photos of how I pack the product box, not what's inside the product box (assuming your listing already had pix of those). And yeah, I send pix of every purchase to my buyers. I've never had anyone ask to make a return.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 12:42 PM   #3
XMRogue

Thanks for the suggestions. I've seen people suggesting taking videos of yourself sealing the package and having the video go non-stop until you pay for the item at UPS/post office and then video-recording the receipt. Seems like a lot of work.

My concern with pictures is they can still claim that's not ultimately what you sent.
Old 12-29-2018, 01:00 PM   #4
Gothamite
Phoenix

Videos are a bit much, especially since eBay doesn't host them and doesn't like people sending each other outside links via msgs.

If you're that worried, though, you should probably sell only on Craigslist.
Old 12-29-2018, 01:21 PM   #5
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
Videos are a bit much, especially since eBay doesn't host them and doesn't like people sending each other outside links via msgs.

If you're that worried, though, you should probably sell only on Craigslist.
Craigslist has bad experiences too. Nothing is foolproof and getting ripped off on eBay is rare for those who do their due diligence. Check feedback closely, take a ton of pictures (which I would send through the eBay email system so eBay can look at the pictures too). Make sure your item is packages good and always use insurance.
Old 12-29-2018, 01:28 PM   #6
Gothamite
Phoenix

If Craigslist buyers pay you cash in person, they can't get automatic electronic refunds the way they would on eBay.
Old 12-29-2018, 01:49 PM   #7
supermetroid
Teen Titans

Yeah, they could bring a gun and rob you though. I remember someone that posted on Sherdog(mma site) went to sell a phone through Craigslist and ended up getting shot a few times but luckily survived to tell the story. You could meet at a police station so there's no BS, I don't trust people lol.
supermetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 01:53 PM   #8
Gothamite
Phoenix

Well, if we're focused on worst case scenarios, then we might as well just stay cooped up at home. Living is dangerous for one's health.
Old 12-29-2018, 02:15 PM   #9
supermetroid
Teen Titans

Eh, true. But we're just talking about taking precautions here to protect yourself, I'd rather risk losing some money online than getting shot by some thugs in person lol.

I remember the guy saying how lucky he was that there was a nurse close by that saved his life and how petty the thugs were I think he was asking less than a hundred bucks for the phone.
supermetroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 03:33 PM   #10
XMRogue

I think I personally agree about craigslist. Aside from limiting the selling pool to locals, which isn't always ideal - I usually prefer not putting myself in direct danger.

My cousin was shot 5 times for the shoes on his feet, and that was just touring college campuses and not having anything of value on him. Things can happen anywhere at any time, but I usually am adverse to risk if it's not necessary. Too many CL stories in the news for me even if probably 99% of transactions go fine.