Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 04-03-2019, 11:07 PM   #761
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetragrammaton View Post
I certainly wouldn't have.

I was expecting Captain Marvel to make in the $650 to $750M range and less than Wonder Woman. I do agree that the placement of Captain Marvel between Infinity War and Endgame added to its box office. I joked with a friend that even a new Howard the Duck movie would have done well if released at that time.
I wouldn't have either. I thought the early negative reviews (albeit by people who hadn't seen it yet) would have tempered the box office take at least a little.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 12:11 AM   #762
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
Wait. Are you saying if we went back three months you would have bet a significant amount of money Captain Marvel would gross a billion dollars worldwide?
Back then I believe I said I thought it would make around $700 million but back then I didn't realize Captain Marvel and Avengers End Game were going to be released so close to each other, I think if there was more time between the two movies a lot of people would of waited for streaming or renting Captain Marvel... but because of the timing if you wanted to see it before End Game you had to go to the theaters..

Like I said smart marketing...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:35 AM   #763
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
Back then I believe I said I thought it would make around $700 million but back then I didn't realize Captain Marvel and Avengers End Game were going to be released so close to each other, I think if there was more time between the two movies a lot of people would of waited for streaming or renting Captain Marvel... but because of the timing if you wanted to see it before End Game you had to go to the theaters..

Like I said smart marketing...
Reverse super hero movie fatigue? The less breathing room you give the better the box office?

I thought Endgame would cannibalize all interest and I know people who skip various Marvel movies entirely always show up for Avengers.

Hard to say, I guess we will see how Captain Marvel 2 & 3 eventually do to see various factors if this is a consistent billion dollar IP or one of declining returns.
Augen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 12:27 AM   #764
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

This think made a billion bucks without the haters money, even though they watched it in secret. Must drive those guys nuts..
marvelboi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 02:00 AM   #765
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
Reverse super hero movie fatigue? The less breathing room you give the better the box office?

I thought Endgame would cannibalize all interest and I know people who skip various Marvel movies entirely always show up for Avengers.

Hard to say, I guess we will see how Captain Marvel 2 & 3 eventually do to see various factors if this is a consistent billion dollar IP or one of declining returns.
normally I would agree with you on the movie fatigue but since the character is tied directly into End Game I think people felt they needed to see it to get the full story..

If Captain Marvel wasn't in End Game and was a one off movie, I'm not sure how well it would of done, lets be honest Captain Marvel is not exactly at the top of the Hero ranking list of most popular characters...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:28 AM   #766
armitage
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelboi77 View Post
This think made a billion bucks without the haters money, even though they watched it in secret. Must drive those guys nuts..
It drives me nuts but not for the reason you think.
When Transformers Dark of the Moon and Age of Extinction which have poor reviews make a Billion Dollars ...it drives me nuts to think we are now living in the movie Idiocracy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=gGlJgU9x8tM
armitage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 11:02 AM   #767
KaraFan
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
lets be honest Captain Marvel is not exactly at the top of the Hero ranking list of most popular characters...
She is more popular now than ever and not due to the movie.
KaraFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 12:05 PM   #768
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

saw it twice - enjoyed it both times, even more the second time

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 12:41 PM   #769
KaraFan
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
saw it twice - enjoyed it both times, even more the second time
I agree! It got even better the third time lol
KaraFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 12:57 PM   #770
supermetroid
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by armitage View Post
It drives me nuts but not for the reason you think.
When Transformers Dark of the Moon and Age of Extinction which have poor reviews make a Billion Dollars ...it drives me nuts to think we are now living in the movie Idiocracy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=gGlJgU9x8tM

Yeah, I have to laugh when someone equates sales with quality. Nobody's convincing me Nickelback's one of the greatest rock bands just because they know how to put out bland radio singles. Brie's a great actress though, so maybe the sequels will be more critically acclaimed for everyone.
supermetroid is offline   Reply With Quote