Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > DC

Old 12-14-2017, 02:38 PM   #31
Gothamite
Phoenix

I think there are some black/grey particles in the plastic to give it a "tinted" effect, but depending on the batch, some glasses may be "dirtier" than others. The proto posted in the OP has pretty dark glasses.

Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 06:47 PM   #32
Gothamite
Phoenix

Some more pix:

Old 12-17-2017, 01:05 AM   #33
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

That one has an even more clearly broken and badly re-glued hyena tail. My original point stands: too risky to buy blindly online unless the vendor has a hassle-free return/exchange policy.
jadekite22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 01:13 PM   #34
Gothamite
Phoenix

Yeah, one tail is broken, but I figured forum members would want some shots of the sides/back instead of pix of the front again and again.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:05 PM   #35
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

Just an update, I picked another one up from a third-party Amazon seller, as you even get free UPS pick-up in case of a return. Unfortunately--while I avoided broken/factory re-glued hyena limbs/tails this time--there was still an odd yellowish dust-like substance covering fingerprints on the entire piece. While I suspected this was mold on the first piece due to the fogginess around it, the fingerprints lead me to suspect it was handled before the paint had dried, as the more you rub it off, the more apparent the fingerprints become, kind of like when you blow sawdust of freshly carved wood.

If that were the only issue, I would safely ignore it because her giant hat shades the minor paint imperfections visible under direct light.

However, I had a much more difficult time fitting the the two pegs on her feet with the base holes and had to squeeze a bit. On pieces with thicker legs (like the Bombshells that can be stressful to line up on their bases without scratching the metallic finish) I don't worry about stress cracking from having to force the legs a bit. This Harley showed cracks on the left ankle within an hour or two of first assembly. I don't trust the crack not to worsen even if the metal pegs manage to hold, so that's now a second piece going back.

This statue is incredibly risky, not just for the issues, but for the fact that the issues might not even catch your eye (such as the substance resurfacing) until after you've left positive feedback or reviews for the seller or item, as I nearly did. If this is already on its way to you or in your collection, keep a careful eye on it before closing the transaction.
jadekite22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 10:51 PM   #36
Gothamite
Phoenix

Old 01-02-2018, 09:11 PM   #37
xreynoldsxcorex
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Sad to say I got one for Christmas, just opened it today.
I am suffering, suffering I say, from sloppily re-glued tails, what appears to be dust and bubbles in the glasses, a hairline crack at the right knee (which I originally thought was there intentionally to help hold the leashes around her legs), and just a strange black scuff right between the eyes, Ash Wednesday style.
Super sad because I totally loved the design and will now be traveling that road of return and replacement. Boo-hoo.
xreynoldsxcorex is offline   Reply With Quote