Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > DC

Old 11-19-2014, 02:43 PM   #41
jetpacksam
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

my point wasn't to not like the character.....nevermind.
jetpacksam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 02:46 PM   #42
gomur
The Tick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Papaya View Post
The original certainly is stunning, however when the two are compared it's hard to say the original captures Harley's personality more than the new one. The old one has her just standing there, while the new one actually has her in a playful and somewhat acrobatic pose. She's actually doing something which is unique to the character alone and also somewhat pushes the limits for the sculptor instead of playing it safe. And yes while the mallet and pop-gun are very cliche, it's what she's known for.

Now I think we can all agree that the Adam Hughes statues are awesome, but it's hard to ignore that each of them are in a very generic pose that don't do the characters enough justice.

Again, I do love the Hughes statues. I own the Zatanna one myself and I'd buy the Harley one in a heartbeat if I could justify the cost. I don't wanna make it sounds like I'm hating on them :P
Maybe it's your choice of words, but I can't be any more opposed to this sentiment. I own all the Adam Hughes statues and the ones that try to be dynamic (Supergirl, Raven) are actually the ones I dislike. The others I find amazing and worthy depictions of the heroines.
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 02:46 PM   #43
grphyx1
Kingpin

I take it back, it wasn't you that was always negative. sorry if i incensed you. my apologies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetpacksam View Post
my point wasn't to not like the character.....nevermind.
grphyx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 03:21 PM   #44
Mister Papaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomur View Post
Maybe it's your choice of words, but I can't be any more opposed to this sentiment. I own all the Adam Hughes statues and the ones that try to be dynamic (Supergirl, Raven) are actually the ones I dislike. The others I find amazing and worthy depictions of the heroines.
Well, to each their own. Obviously everyone has different opinions. I just think that ANY character can just stand there.

For me it's not enough to simply LOOK like the character, there needs to be some element of distinction there as well. Otherwise it might as well be a statue of a Harley Quinn cosplayer rather than the actual character.

Harley and Selina have complete opposite types of personalities, movements and mannerisms, something (in my opinion) a statue should play up rather than ignore.
Mister Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:04 PM   #45
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Love the original artwork by Artgerm, but I'm not crazy with the final sculpt. It's somehow lost it's sex appeal for me.
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:08 PM   #46
jetpacksam

Quote:
Originally Posted by grphyx1 View Post
I take it back, it wasn't you that was always negative. sorry if i incensed you. my apologies.
If got incensed at everytime the internet was mean to me id be in an institution.

Incidentally, can anyone tell me why my walls are padded?
jetpacksam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:42 PM   #47
gomur
The Tick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Papaya View Post
Well, to each their own. Obviously everyone has different opinions. I just think that ANY character can just stand there.

For me it's not enough to simply LOOK like the character, there needs to be some element of distinction there as well. Otherwise it might as well be a statue of a Harley Quinn cosplayer rather than the actual character.

Harley and Selina have complete opposite types of personalities, movements and mannerisms, something (in my opinion) a statue should play up rather than ignore.
Beauty, eye, beholder and all that. If you think these statues are just "standing there" then there isn't much I can say to convince you otherwise. Even with museum poses there are ways to make a character come alive and I think this series did so nicely.

I'm just happy that they size nicely with the latest Cover Girls. Looking forward to adding Vixen, and enjoying the Artgerm inspired Batwoman and Huntress.

gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 09:10 AM   #48
dechirico7
The Flash

The Adam Hughes based series was excellent and still tops everything that came later. I am not a fan of the Artgerm pieces, they are kind of boring. That is just my opinion. Talk about stale museum poses. But, maybe they are better in person.

Not a fan of new Harley. The pose is awful and I don't see out displaying well other pieces since most of them are so straight forward.

DC really fails on some pieces. I am shocked by how unfinished Mera was. It doesn't look like the sculptor finished her. Look at the flat feet.
dechirico7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 12:53 PM   #49
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

That AH! Catwoman is a beauty and one of my favs from that line.
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 05:38 PM   #50
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
Yeah it's got a Heil Hitler vibe to it. The goosestep like pose and the raised arm.

I'm still getting it.
seriously that is what you are thinking/seeing?! There is no raised arm, but a level arm!

Nice but will pass because of the horrific base just like I passed on Batwoman even though I liked the statue & she is one of my fave DC characters
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote