Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

View Poll Results: What's the ideal size for a comic statue (multiple choice)?
micro-bust (under 5") 0 0%
mini-bust (5"- 6") 10 26.32%
mega-bust (over 6") 2 5.26%
mini-statue (about 6") 2 5.26%
medium statue (about 8") 1 2.63%
full-size statue (about 12") 25 65.79%
sideshow size monstrosity (well over 12") 14 36.84%
life-size (additional family member) 2 5.26%
other (posted in thread) 1 2.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-27-2006, 09:09 AM   #11
Ink
My Better Is Better Than Your Better

my better half has only seen what on the shelves, not what's in the walk in closet downstairs

but she knows it's there

one day she pointed at each on & asked who they were
Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 09:27 AM   #12
freaky yves
U talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar
Is it at all possible that your wife may be sending you a message? Is your collection something your wife appreciates or something she simply tolerates? When guests come over, does she roll her eyes dismissively or seem somewhat embarrased by this interest some tend to view as childish? Clearly, you're effected by her numerous comments regarding the space your statues may be taking up.

While this may not relate to you specifically, I've become quite amazed at the sense of entitlement many of the collectors' wives seem to believe they have regarding how their home should look. It's as if they believe they have a final veto or something. Thing is, if a veto is part of the relationship, it should go both ways. These women are wives not mothers. Decisions are negotiated not dictated. Some wives seem to get so used to weilding the decision-making-power-stick, they sometimes forget they should at least seem like they care about how the other half might feel.

If you told your wife, she had too many pants or blouses or spent too much money on staying-young-looking skin products and the like, what do you think her response would be? Would this even be open to discussion? When your wife asks what you might think if she dyed her hair another color or decides it's time to get some new furniture, do you typically get the sense you're really being asked or merely being informed?

I'm not meaning to turn this into a huge debate. All this to say that if one half of the relationship believes they have the power to do or have more say than the other, that power will inevitably became the culture of the relationship. Too many husbands here have to hide stuff from their wives or make things up regarding their collection just so they could enjoy it a bit more in secret. I'd feel incredibly uneasy if I felt compelled to hide the things I loved from someone just so I wouldn't have to face their condescending or judgmental eye. That's not a marriage. It's a prison sentence.

As for the size issues... If all the statues went from 10 to 13 inches, I'd be happy. Anything smaller or bigger ends up being too off-scale to the other stuff.

JMO
thats why most of the collectors have a room to put up their statues , because the wife dont wont it in the dinning room
freaky yves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 10:00 AM   #13
Endless Wake
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Space issues in regards to the actual statue and the box it came in are going to force most collectors to stick to 1/8th scale for the majority of their collection.
Endless Wake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 10:11 AM   #14
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

It depends on the character if he`s small like ant-man or big like galactus.
It seems some people want big statues and later complain about running out of room.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 10:36 AM   #15
c_ort
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

It would be nice if HH, SS, BD, etc all used the same scale, they would all display better having the same scale and would be easier to display a scene using statues from different makers.
c_ort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 11:19 AM   #16
Ink
My Better Is Better Than Your Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Wake
Space issues in regards to the actual statue and the box it came in are going to force most collectors to stick to 1/8th scale for the majority of their collection.
the SS boxes are huge!!
Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 11:22 AM   #17
fazzyfaz
Death is hereditary.

i voted other! i want all my heroes to be bigger than life!!!! as well they should!

let's start with a life sized Galactus....=)
fazzyfaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 12:03 PM   #18
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkfire00
the SS boxes are huge!!
Tell me about it I should charge rent for the box the pf Doom ex. came in.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 12:21 PM   #19
Colossus
Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar
Is it at all possible that your wife may be sending you a message? Is your collection something your wife appreciates or something she simply tolerates? When guests come over, does she roll her eyes dismissively or seem somewhat embarrased by this interest some tend to view as childish? Clearly, you're effected by her numerous comments regarding the space your statues may be taking up.

While this may not relate to you specifically, I've become quite amazed at the sense of entitlement many of the collectors' wives seem to believe they have regarding how their home should look. It's as if they believe they have a final veto or something. Thing is, if a veto is part of the relationship, it should go both ways. These women are wives not mothers. Decisions are negotiated not dictated. Some wives seem to get so used to weilding the decision-making-power-stick, they sometimes forget they should at least seem like they care about how the other half might feel.

If you told your wife, she had too many pants or blouses or spent too much money on staying-young-looking skin products and the like, what do you think her response would be? Would this even be open to discussion? When your wife asks what you might think if she dyed her hair another color or decides it's time to get some new furniture, do you typically get the sense you're really being asked or merely being informed?

I'm not meaning to turn this into a huge debate. All this to say that if one half of the relationship believes they have the power to do or have more say than the other, that power will inevitably became the culture of the relationship. Too many husbands here have to hide stuff from their wives or make things up regarding their collection just so they could enjoy it a bit more in secret. I'd feel incredibly uneasy if I felt compelled to hide the things I loved from someone just so I wouldn't have to face their condescending or judgmental eye. That's not a marriage. It's a prison sentence.

As for the size issues... If all the statues went from 10 to 13 inches, I'd be happy. Anything smaller or bigger ends up being too off-scale to the other stuff.

JMO
I totally get your point but like you said in the begining it really doesn't pertain to me, my wife has 6 curio cabinets of her own for her memories of yesterday and lenox collections. I think what gets to her is sometimes things just come in a bundle here is my example I recently won an auction for $50 for a full size black widow, and $85 for dr strange and within a two week period I also received Hawkeye, punisher, ss iron man and ss wolverine, and the archangel minibust witch has a box as big as a full size. So really I blame the mfgs for not spacing their product out better she sees all this stuff in a very short time period and is like what are you thinking and I can see her point that she thinks I have lost it for these statues.

But for the most part we have a near 4000 sq house, and it is her and I and our newborn and we probably have enough storage area in this house to equivilate to 10 10x20 storage units (between basement, attic, and garage). I just think for some of us, our spouse's get hit with the shock factor sometimes.
Colossus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 12:58 PM   #20
Sgt Taz
Doom Patrol

1/4
Sgt Taz is offline   Reply With Quote