Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Leave it to the Professionals Please > Mike Hill

Old 04-23-2008, 02:38 PM   #1
Mike Hill
Sculptor
Sculptor

How-to DVD

Hey all,
I had my first meeting with my DP regarding an instructional DVD. I will be sculpting a likness.Is there anything you would like to see explained(armatures etc).

MH
Mike Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 02:45 PM   #2
HelloKinky
Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.

This sounds great. I think all the basics would already be covered, I'd just really like to see how to bring something to life like that and what tools you use for certain details, while not having to spend much cash out there like with other art activities. But I can't wait!
HelloKinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 03:56 PM   #3
Vader
Ghost

I think you did a great job explaining your techniques in some of the articles in amazingfigure modeler. It would be great to see it in video form.
Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:49 PM   #4
Andy Bergholtz
Sculptor
Sculptor

I'll be first in line to pick this up when it's available!

Personally, I'd love to request some detailed info on molding and casting in wax (and/or silicone). I honestly think it would be easier to find out who killed JFK than to find a good tutorial on these techniques, I don't understand the mystery.

If you were to include a good demo on molding and casting a 1:1 head in wax or silicone (including painting and hair-punching), it would definitely make your video stand out from similar available DVD's. Not that your talent and sensibilities won't already do that.... But the inclusion of the above info would make it invaluable!

Keep us updated mate!
Andy Bergholtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:51 PM   #5
Mike Hill
Sculptor
Sculptor

Andy,my good fellow,

Its funny you should say that
Old 04-25-2008, 02:54 PM   #6
Andy Bergholtz
Sculptor
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hill View Post
Andy,my good fellow,

Its funny you should say that
My cash is ready.
Andy Bergholtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:00 PM   #7
cblakey1
Cyclops

Maybe going over the basic sculpting tools, armature creation including the best type/gauge wire to use, and going over a few types of sculpting medium (apoxie sculpt, sculpey, wax)..

Definitely laying musculature and a close-up step by step on faces.

That's my wishlist!
cblakey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 04:31 PM   #8
EvilNinjaChris
A day without sunshine is like... night.

oh man I have been praying for this. I'm with Andy too I'd love to see all of that. in addition, I would really like to see more than just a "how to sculpt something" style tutorial. I think it should include every step you take to achieve a proper likeness and really focus on capturing every little nook cranny and curve of a likeness. Whatever it is you start off with and the steps you follow every time. what to look for in reference photos, what kind of reference photos. what measurments you take before and during (if any) I wouldn't spend too much time on materials and stuff like that unless you're planning on doing a series of dvd's. there is a plethora of information on that readily available at any book store or sculpting website. maybe a finished armature and a brief explanation on how it was built but I wouldn't build the thing from the ground up on camera. maybe a section on common mistakes you see people make. sorry for such a long post but I've been waiting a long time for this ; )

even if the thing doesn't have audio and its just a video of you sculpting a likeness, you already have my money.
EvilNinjaChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 06:11 PM   #9
Mike Hill
Sculptor
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblakey1 View Post
Maybe going over the basic sculpting tools, armature creation including the best type/gauge wire to use, and going over a few types of sculpting medium (apoxie sculpt, sculpey, wax)..

Definitely laying musculature and a close-up step by step on faces.

That's my wishlist!
Duly noted.Thanks
Old 04-27-2008, 06:12 PM   #10
Mike Hill
Sculptor
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilNinjaChris View Post
oh man I have been praying for this. I'm with Andy too I'd love to see all of that. in addition, I would really like to see more than just a "how to sculpt something" style tutorial. I think it should include every step you take to achieve a proper likeness and really focus on capturing every little nook cranny and curve of a likeness. Whatever it is you start off with and the steps you follow every time. what to look for in reference photos, what kind of reference photos. what measurments you take before and during (if any) I wouldn't spend too much time on materials and stuff like that unless you're planning on doing a series of dvd's. there is a plethora of information on that readily available at any book store or sculpting website. maybe a finished armature and a brief explanation on how it was built but I wouldn't build the thing from the ground up on camera. maybe a section on common mistakes you see people make. sorry for such a long post but I've been waiting a long time for this ; )

even if the thing doesn't have audio and its just a video of you sculpting a likeness, you already have my money.
Duly noted also.Thanks.