Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Digital Photography

Old 06-09-2008, 09:00 PM   #21
insomniac
Loki

Do the 5D lenses work with the 30D or XTI?
insomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:12 PM   #22
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Ed, thanks for all the good info. I've decided to go with Canon, now it's just which body. I am trying to decide between the 40D and the XSi. I am definitely going to pick up the two lenses you recommended, the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS and the 70-200mm f/4L IS. They both sound awesome. For flash, I am looking at the Canon 580EX II Speedlite. I am reading great things about it. What's your take; is it overkill and should I go with the 430?

40D or XSi?? Decisions, decisions.
Zurbaran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:26 PM   #23
insomniac
Loki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurbaran1 View Post
I am not sure if this matters to you but I like the feel of the heavier 40D more. It feels more solid and is slightly bigger.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:43 PM   #24
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniac View Post
I am not sure if this matters to you but I like the feel of the heavier 40D more. It feels more solid and is slightly bigger.
I've heard that and it is something to consider. How about a comparison of the features. Any input?
Old 06-09-2008, 10:00 PM   #25
Tyz1on
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I just got an Xsi and it's a nice piece of kit. I have an Xti as well, that I will probably sell now as the two cameras are too similar to keep both.

What I like about the Xsi so far:

1. It's a little bigger than the Xti but is lighter as well.
2. 3" live LCD
3. Uses SDHC cards. I picked up a Kingston 8 GB Class 6 card for $38.
4. Has it's own dedicated ISO button

Things I have read are improvements but because I'm kind of new to DSLR, I can't really comment on are:

1. Twelve megapixel CMOS sensor, 3.0" LCD monitor, Live View with both AF modes (contrast-detect and passive), 14-bit processing and RAW, spot metering, improved AF, 3.5 fps continuous shooting, a larger viewfinder, SD/SDHC storage and a new higher capacity battery. All in all a fairly impressive range of usage oriented improvements and refinements.

2. Live View

Available for the first time on a Canon consumer D-SLR, Live View mode makes it easier to shoot from awkward angles, such as ground-level macro shots or when shooting from a tripod. The image from the Live View mode is displayed as a smooth, 30fps video feed on the 3.0” LCD, which is 50% brighter than the screen of the EOS 400D. A grid line display and live histogram can be selected to help with shot composition and exposure. While focusing, the photographer can zoom in on specific details with up to 10x magnification of the image displayed on the LCD screen. Two types of auto focus are available: Quick AF flips the camera mirror momentarily to engage the AF sensor; Live AF uses the image contrast data to focus - a method familiar to anyone upgrading from a compact digital camera.

2. The EOS 450D complements its headline features with a host of smaller improvements that enhance the photographic experience. The viewfinder now displays all key exposure information including ISO speed. The addition of spot metering (4% of viewfinder) allows for greater control over exposure in tricky lighting conditions. PictBridge functionality has been expanded so that photographers can correct horizons and add picture effects before printing. A new high capacity battery extends shooting time on a single charge to a maximum of 500 shots.

About the only thing I don't like about the Xsi (Aside from a couple of hot pixels) are that the new higher capacity batteries are not the same physically as the Xti batteries, so no swapping. But then again if I didn't have an Xti then it wouldn't matter at all.

Hopefully Ed can add/comment on the text in italics as to it's relevancy in choosing your camera.
Tyz1on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:12 PM   #26
P1X4R
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniac View Post
Do the 5D lenses work with the 30D or XTI?
to answer your question. yes, they do. just because they're listed under my 5D section doesn't necessarily marry them to that body. the important thing to remember is that there are basically two types of mounts. EF and EF-S.

EF-S lenses are NOT compatible with Full Frame sensors like the 5D, 1D series bodies. i wouldn't worry too much about that though. just buy what you need now. there are some great EF-S lenses out there (60mm, 17-55mm).
P1X4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:12 PM   #27
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Thanks Tyz. I would definitely take the XsI over the XTi but I'd really like some comparison between it and the 40D as those are the two choices I have narrowed it down to (I think).

I feel Ed's presence in the air
Old 06-09-2008, 10:17 PM   #28
P1X4R
Producer

Canon has such a wide array of lenses to choose from which makes it such a flexible system to work with. check out these two picture links for the 17-55 and 70-200 f/4.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=234558
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=281807

camera bodies come and go. glass is forever!

Quote:
Ed, thanks for all the good info. I've decided to go with Canon, now it's just which body. I am trying to decide between the 40D and the XSi. I am definitely going to pick up the two lenses you recommended, the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS and the 70-200mm f/4L IS. They both sound awesome. For flash, I am looking at the Canon 580EX II Speedlite. I am reading great things about it. What's your take; is it overkill and should I go with the 430?

Old 06-09-2008, 10:18 PM   #29
insomniac
Loki

Quote:
I've heard that and it is something to consider. How about a comparison of the features. Any input?
Here is a general comparion between the XTI, XSI and 40D.

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography...ti_vs_40D.html
Old 06-09-2008, 10:20 PM   #30
P1X4R
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldyourfireAl View Post
Is this the lens you use for pics like this?....
Al, i used the 50L on this shot. i also stopped it down to f/14.0 to get everything in focus.