Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 10-04-2014, 05:59 PM   #1
UnicornPegasus
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Wizard World Austin - 2014 - Art Haul

This con was a bit of a disappointment when we first got there, due to poor scheduling (they put it on Thurs/Fri/Sat on a weekend with a TX Football game and Austin City Limits, plus several other events), misinformation on their site, and lackluster turn out from guests and providers. (There were only three booths with actual comics, WTH?) That being said, I still had a blast because of the artists that did show up.

We could only attend one day this year, and it had to be Saturday. I regret this since, they basically made Saturday the wrap up day, which was lame. But I got two "to be shipped later" commissions from Carla Wyzgala and Kit Steele. I'll post them once they arrive, I think both will be killer, those chicks had some sweet ass styles. I highly recommend anyone to check them out.

Ramon Bachs - I got two consecutive pages of Generation M, Issue 2 from him. Pages 11 and 12, with Jubilee all over the place! I had arranged to only get one, but they had brought the second page for me too, and I just had to get both. I think they are going to look great framed together.

Kevin Wada! OMFG. My husband saw on his tumblr a few months ago that he was taking a pre-con list for commissions. I got in! I was so happy, but when I saw what he did, I was floored. It was originally going to be greys only, but he threw in the color because he had a vision in mind when I told him what I wanted, and it's STUNNING! I love it. He's also very nice to talk to. The prints he had were so vivid. I'm an avid fan of his, and he was the main reason I went to this con. I had to get one from him, no matter what. Good lord, look at that thing, how could I not be in love with him after this commission.

And lastly, Phil Noto. Since we could only go today, and he had not replied to my emails if there was a pre-con list, I didn't have a lot of hope of being able to get anything from him. But due to some bad luck leading to good luck, we were able to get in early with the VIP folks, so that rekindled a tiny spark of optimism. We got to his booth and commissions were closed. Depression set in, but he said maybe he could do a quick head sketch before he left (he was leaving early.) I jumped at that offer. I came back later, he was finishing up the commissions. He said, come back in 15, so we browsed a bit longer. Came back, and he said sure, he could work me in. I waited patiently, and he did the head sketch. I purposefully didn't peek, and I'm so glad I didn't. I was expecting a small one like the Adam Hughes thumbnail profile sketches or something, he turned it around and it was a full page head shot, super detailed and INSANELY GORGEOUS! I gushed. I could not contain my elatement. He is one of the nicest artists I've met and it was more than I ever could have expected for him to 1), try and fit me into his already packed schedule, and 2), to do a full piece like that. I would have expected that to be the full level of his regular commissions, not a "quick head sketch." I'm so freaking happy!

I also bought a Wonder Woman Bishoujo...I couldn't help myself. I almost got the Kotobukiya Groot/Rocket bust, until I saw how small it was. So, I had some self control and didn't spend every last dime I had to get it too.

Anyway, I'm so happy with the art I got!!! Thank you Ramon, Kevin, and Phil! YOU ROCK!

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=2150
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jubilee-by-Phil-Noto.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	86772   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jubilee-By-Kevin-Wada.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	86773   Click image for larger version

Name:	Generation-M-Issue-2-Page-12-Ramon-Bachs.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	327.8 KB
ID:	86774   Click image for larger version

Name:	Generation-M-Issue-2-Page-11-Ramon-Bachs.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	336.4 KB
ID:	86775   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jubilee-By-Kit-Steele.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	87063  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jubilee-By-Carla-Wyzgala-.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	216.0 KB
ID:	87099  
UnicornPegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:16 PM   #2
PureInvasion
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

congrats on the pick-ups
PureInvasion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:23 PM   #3
rjs1162
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Nice stuff! Congrats!
rjs1162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:51 PM   #4
UnicornPegasus

Thank you both. I'm super happy.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:25 AM   #5
Wookiee
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

Great pieces! Sorry to hear the con was kinda of a gong show!

Phil knocked that head shot out of the park! I've never seen Wada's work before, but wow!
Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:43 AM   #6
whd
Suicide Squad

Very nice! Congrats!
whd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:52 AM   #7
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

good stuff.
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:58 AM   #8
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Jubilee always needs color -- Wada clearly knows that

Nice pick-ups and I must say, for only making it one day, you got some great pieces.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 09:24 PM   #9
UnicornPegasus

Thanks all. I love what I got, I can't wait to see what the two ladies ship me too! The art definitely made up for other areas of the con that were lacking.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:31 PM   #10
Magneto
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

That´s some great pick ups, congrats!
Magneto is offline   Reply With Quote