Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Bowen Designs

Old 01-06-2017, 03:42 PM   #91
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sith_apprentice View Post
I'm just now getting into Bowen busts but they are fantastic. I really wish we'd gotten Madame HYDRA, Silver Samurai, Spiral and Typhoid Mary.
If I remember right, correct me if I'm wrong, there was a FS Spiral in the works. That would've been great. I'm right there with you on Silver Samurai. At the top of my list for a MB or FS. I only trust Bowen with it, though...:^(
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bowen-Designs-Spiral-Statue-2014-Phase-VI-Jason-Smith-e1396296394751.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	154.3 KB
ID:	100835  
Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:32 PM   #92
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philintheblank View Post
If I remember right, correct me if I'm wrong, there was a FS Spiral in the works. That would've been great. I'm right there with you on Silver Samurai. At the top of my list for a MB or FS. I only trust Bowen with it, though...:^(
Don't remind me. I'm still sad about that.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 03:53 AM   #93
Das Brutah
The Avengers

The Bowen line is what got me interested in this medium. While there are some amazing pieces coming out from other manufacturers like Prime 1 and Sideshow, the cost and size keeps me away.

I have the Spidey comiquette from Sideshow. It is an amazing piece, and IMO the best Spidey sculpt done to date. It is too big.... The upcoming Return of the Dark Knight statue from Prime 1 is amazing. At $1000 and a 1/4 size it's too much... (That said I'm getting it... it's simply too good and I am a huge Batman fan).

It's just sad. The 1/6 size Bowen line was a perfect size and could be purchased at a cost that was much easier to swallow for the average joe. In addition, Bowen truly captured an iconic feel and representation for these characters.

Seems like the market is ripe for a new 1/6 line, especially for tge DC characters. Maybe the market has moved on and evolved past this?
Das Brutah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 05:37 PM   #94
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Looking at what 1/6th pieces are going for on the secondary market, I think it's safe to say there's still plenty of interest in the scale. It's just a matter of no one producing them. Koto counts, but barely. Probably comes down to profitability. Companies like SS, XM, etc. have 1/4th that they can sell for big bucks and Koto has their cheaper 1/10th lines that seem to be profitable enough for them to basically sideline their 1/6th line. 1/6th might be in that awkward grey area...too big to keep production costs down (in limited runs) and not big enough to demand a high enough retail price. ...all a guess, but I find it hard to believe that companies wouldn't already be in the 1/6th market if it would make them enough money.
Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 07:49 PM   #95
ChromeColossus
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

I was a Bowen collector at one time, had quite the Collection, Hero's, Villains, etc.etc. Hell I still have a few pieces, that said, in hindsight he had to multiples, seemed like every phase there was an Ironman, Captain America, and Thors + variants, if you followed they where starting to make some changes, little to late, certain pieces will fetch more than others but some steals can be made also.
ChromeColossus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:03 AM   #96
Cougrcrumby
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

Still have all my Bowen pieces and will keep them as long as continue to collect statues. His pieces were the reason I got into this crazy hobby in the first place. There is just something majestic about them in my eyes. Their like a vintage silver aged marvel comic book. Classic look that will never go out of style in my book regardless of how big and detailed these statues become.
Cougrcrumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:26 AM   #97
Iacon13
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Bowen will never die! Just got Old Man Logan and it looks terrific!
Iacon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:34 AM   #98
Subby1938
Legion of Super-Heroes
Adamantium Plus Member

Back market on more common pieces has dropped but your choice hero/villains can fetch big bucks. I love them still have almost 50 of them
Subby1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 01:44 PM   #99
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Bowen was always about quality and variety at an affordable price. This combination will always be popular as long as people collect statues. The point about size is also a big factor. I haven’t looked at prices in a while but I know at one point they dipped after BD closed shop but it sounds like they are back on the rise or have settled in where they should be. If/when BD starts up again you can be sure the older stuff will rise in price again as demand for the line comes back. I am planning to downsize my collection to a degree and hope to hold out until the tide rises again. I am surprised someone hasn’t stepped into the hole created by the BD departure from the market. Eric sculpting for Koto was where I thought it would occur but that didn’t happen. Bowen could step right back into that hole tomorrow and be successful immediately IMHO.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 02:02 PM   #100
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

^ agreed. When Bowen stepped down I expected some other company to fill the gap too, but that hasn't happened. This is an attractive scale and the variety was and still is unmatched. As long as BD pieces have that part of the market cornered their product will at the very least hold it's value.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote