Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 12-25-2015, 12:09 PM   #41
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

I like design team's decision to get rid of the black border around the emblem. It never made sense that a cosmic force needed a shield-like one branding her costume. I think XM tried to integrate it better by expanding it into a high-collar, but it didn't work for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson83 View Post
X base for your matching SS Xmen collection
I admire them committing to uniformity for fans who bought the previous statues. I think Dark Phoenix can be a healthy break from that, as a villain. I just hope it's not Sentinel-themed. XM, Kotobukiya and Iron Studios have played that to its maximum potential, I think. They've been doing it since Toybiz's Marvel Legends line.
jadekite22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 12:14 PM   #42
Peedi
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaerius View Post
This is great news and there is no reason that they won't be able to make it spectacular although I have to admit that I already don't really care for the face of the concept art. I'm sure that the body will be great so if they fix that face and don't go crazy on the price, I'll be in.
Well this has purposefully harsh lighting and its manipulated with photo effects so I imagine the face will look somewhat different in more "regular" lighting for the full reveal.

The hair beats the XM and I like the clothing details. But the XM, even with its flaws (for me the hairlines, undetailed face paint), is hard to beat as an overall sculpture. The dynamic pose, the base, the overall paint job, the overall quality of the whole thing... at least there'll be 2 Phoenix statues out there to choose from, each with their own appeal. Win win situation.
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 12:14 PM   #43
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peedi View Post
Well this has purposefully harsh lighting and its manipulated with photo effects so I imagine the face will look somewhat different in more "regular" lighting for the full reveal.

The hair beats the XM and I like the clothing details. But the XM, even with its flaws (for me the hairlines, undetailed face paint), is hard to beat as an overall sculpture. The dynamic pose, the base, the overall paint job, the overall quality of the whole thing... at least there'll be 2 Phoenix statues out there to choose from, each with their own appeal. Win win situation.
Old 12-25-2015, 12:15 PM   #44
gomur
The Tick

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchyoutoo View Post
Get ready for a black museum under base... isnt that the norm now with SS.? (Really hope not)
Possibly. Hopefully it's something more grand.

No doubt XM's Phoenix will force their hand creatively, if it wasn't going that way already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-9 View Post
If they pull out all the stops and go full throttle on the phoenix force then it might just be worth a high price

The only part of your statement that Sideshow would've heard.
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 12:20 PM   #45
k-9
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomur View Post
Possibly. Hopefully it's something more grand.

No doubt XM's Phoenix will force their hand creatively, if it wasn't going that way already.

The only part of your statement that Sideshow would've heard.
Hope they take the 'might be' on board.
k-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 12:40 PM   #46
Peedi
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadekite22 View Post
I like design team's decision to get rid of the black border around the emblem. It never made sense that a cosmic force needed a shield-like one branding her costume. I think XM tried to integrate it better by expanding it into a high-collar, but it didn't work for me.
It's actally comic accurate for Dark Phoenix to NOT have the black around the emblem so ss just followed the comics. The costume uses so much black shadows it's often hard to tell, but there's enough art from that storyline that shows red highlights around her chest to make this clear (like below).

Only Phoenix (green) has the black around the emblem. The emblem should also be smaller so XM got that wrong.

Most people don't realize Jean is only Dark Phoenix for the last THREE issues of the Dark Phoenix Saga and she's only drawn by John Byrne...of course there's tons of later fan art and flashback scenes or imaginary scenes by later artists who add their own artistic flare, but when going by the original stories there's only one real point of reference of how Dark Phoenix looked when she was alive because she was only in one story until Phoenix Endsong years later.

Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 12:44 PM   #47
gogo13
Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.

I Hope SS makes an awesome Dark Phoenix.. I look forward to the release. This statue will be use to compare the quality of SS and XM. Dark Phoenix is a major character so SS could show collectors what they can do...Yes !. Cause I know I will compare the two. XM set the bar high so I want to see SS best.

SS got my interest again.. on Christmas day....I Hope SS doesn't try to raise it to some crazy high price and I hope they post the ES sooner. I know the price will go up a little. I hope its reasonable justified when we see the release.

Posting it on Christmas I have high expectation SS will make a great Statue...
gogo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 12:52 PM   #48
k-9
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

[QUOTE=gogo13;5172574]I Hope SS makes an awesome Dark Phoenix.. I look forward to the release. This statue will be use to compare the quality of SS and XM. Dark Phoenix is a major character so SS could show collectors what they can do...Yes !. Cause I know I will compare the two. XM set the bar high so I want to see SS best.

SS got my interest again.. on Christmas day....I Hope SS doesn't try to raise it to some crazy high price and I hope they post the ES sooner. I know the price will go up a little. I hope its reasonable justified when we see the release.

Posting it on Christmas I have high expectation SS will make a great Statue...[/QUOTE]

k-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 12:55 PM   #49
jadekite22
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peedi View Post
It's actally comic accurate for Dark Phoenix to NOT have the black around the emblem so ss just followed the comics. The costume uses so much black shadows it's often hard to tell, but there's enough art from that storyline that shows red highlights around her chest to make this clear (like below).

Only Phoenix (green) has the black around the emblem. The emblem should also be smaller so XM got that wrong.

Most people don't realize Jean is only Dark Phoenix for the last THREE issues of the Dark Phoenix Saga and she's only drawn by John Byrne...of course there's tons of later fan art and flashback scenes or imaginary scenes by later artists who add their own artistic flare, but when going by the original stories there's only one real point of reference of how Dark Phoenix looked when she was alive because she was only in one story until Phoenix Endsong years later.

You're right. I actually re-read the Claremont/Byrne saga a couple months ago and still all the fan art and even some of Marvel's own promotional art somehow threw me off. Good point on the black shadows, too. Not as bad as the shadow on Batman's cowl that never moved, but still hard to tell at times.

The size might not have been a mistake (they were just going off the Artgerm art.) I always figured the enlarged emblem in more recent comics was a Greg Horn innovation, as more yellow means more more overt cleavage.
Old 12-25-2015, 12:56 PM   #50
BurningRage
Inhumans

WW was posted on Christmas Day and we all know the qc issues it had.
BurningRage is offline   Reply With Quote