Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Sports

Old 07-10-2006, 05:11 AM   #1
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Arrow Zidane sending off

It has been alleged by the French coach that the fourth offical seen the incident on his tv monitor and informed the referree. It this is the case Zidane should never have been sent off. Neither the ref or his linesmen seen the incident.

FIFA are stating that the fourth offical saw the incident first hand. This thing could roll on and on.

(Just to clarify i believe that Zidane should have been sent off no doubt. But if the officals are using video evidence during a game to make decisions when it is not part of the rules then this is completly wrong.

If they did use the video evidence to punish Zidane it does show how quickly this tool could be used to help referrees in the future ).
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 05:14 AM   #2
Tetragrammaton
The Flash

It was an incredibly stupid move on the part of Zidane.
Tetragrammaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 05:17 AM   #3
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

I agree. I was probably the most experianced player on the pitch. Even if the Italian called his mother a name he should never have done what he did. He let himself, his teamates and his nation down at the very moment of head butting the player.

And whats a great pity, he will always be remembered for it in much the same way as the English remember Maradona for the Hand of God goal, but forget about his wondergoal in the same game.

Your always remembered for your last action.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:21 AM   #4
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

I thought something like this would happen. FIFA may have introduced video evidence through the back door. My view is that, for incidents like that, play should continue and if the ref hears that a player has perpetrated an assault, he should send him off at the next break in play. I would love video evidence to be used after games to impose massive fines and bans on clear divers. I also think it would benefit the game if erroneous decisions could be reversed within five minutes by a panel considering video: sent off players returned from a 'sin bin' if wrongly carded; penalties disallowed if incorrectly given. Lastly, I think goalline disputes, which are comparatiely rare, could be decided within one minute by video without delaying the game unduly.
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 05:21 AM   #5
JM28Cardiff
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

According to Sky sports, the fourth official does not have access to a monitor. A fifth official does, but he is not allowed to communicate with the others.
JM28Cardiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 05:23 AM   #6
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM28Cardiff
A fifth official does, but he is not allowed to communicate with the others.
That sounds like a cushy job - watch football for a living with no responsibility!
Old 07-10-2006, 05:23 AM   #7
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

I have no doubt video evidence was employed by FIFA (as Jess stated through the back door). If it were an offical tool then fine but since it is not then it should not be used.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:24 AM   #8
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh.goodgrief
That sounds like a cushy job - watch football for a living with no responsibility!
Your describing Garth Crooks.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:24 AM   #9
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye
I have no doubt video evidence was employed by FIFA (as Jess stated through the back door). If it were an offical tool then fine but since it is not then it should not be used.
Yeah - it took too long to reach the decision. (Not sure how they only added one minute of injury time...)

Can you imagine the referee's surprise when he went over to the touchline: 'Zidane did WHAT??!!?'
Old 07-10-2006, 05:25 AM   #10
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh.goodgrief
Yeah - it took too long to reach the decision. (Not sure how they only added one minute of injury time...)

Can you imagine the referee's surprise when he went over to the touchline: 'Zidane did WHAT??!!?'
And Sepp Blatter his boss. Ooohh that took some nerve.