Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Sports

Old 08-29-2006, 10:14 AM   #11
madjazz
Defender of The Defenders

Overpaid is a function of % of revenue generated. What is the Yankees payroll as a % of total team revenues?

I'd submit to you that the Yankees do not overpay and make the appropriate investments in player personnel to protect their very lucrative revenue stream. As pointed out, this is more amazing as they are not the only MLB team in town.

The Marlins have proved that their are other viable formulas for success. Teams that have not developed the Yankees revenue stream would do well to look at that formula.

Atlanta follows very closely to the Yankee formula and has done an excellent job of maximizing revenue. Detroit appears to be making the right moves toward the Yankee formula. Boston could do the same if they'd make a ballpark large enough to support their MSA.
madjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 10:15 AM   #12
Daywalker
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurbaran1
You're just here because when you saw the thread title you thought it was about FOOD!
lol - u called him fat
Daywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 10:23 AM   #13
Collection King 13
You Should Punch Your Face in the Face!!!
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
You're just here because when you saw the thread title you thought it was about FOOD!
LOL! I'm not mad... Just bustin some fans balls...

"Grailability" -One collectibles potential on becoming a Grail Piece. Pronunciation [greyl-uh-bil-i-tee]
"Flipphobia" -One collectors morbid fear of flippers. Pronunciation [flip-foh-bee-uh]
"Flipollector" -One Who Flips with the intent of purchasing something else for their collection. Pronunciation [flip-uh-lek-ter]
http://statueforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=75&dateline=1236098318
Collection King 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 10:25 AM   #14
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collection King 13
LOL! I'm not mad... Just bustin some fans balls...
Who said you were mad? If anything I said you were HUNGRY.
Zurbaran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 10:26 AM   #15
Collection King 13
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalker
lol - u called him fat

"Grailability" -One collectibles potential on becoming a Grail Piece. Pronunciation [greyl-uh-bil-i-tee]
"Flipphobia" -One collectors morbid fear of flippers. Pronunciation [flip-foh-bee-uh]
"Flipollector" -One Who Flips with the intent of purchasing something else for their collection. Pronunciation [flip-uh-lek-ter]
Old 08-29-2006, 10:28 AM   #16
Collection King 13
Adamantium Plus Member

Talking

Quote:
Who said you were mad? If anything I said you were HUNGRY.

Old 08-29-2006, 10:35 AM   #17
Car50n
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjazz
Overpaid is a function of % of revenue generated. What is the Yankees payroll as a % of total team revenues?

I'd submit to you that the Yankees do not overpay and make the appropriate investments in player personnel to protect their very lucrative revenue stream. As pointed out, this is more amazing as they are not the only MLB team in town.

The Marlins have proved that their are other viable formulas for success. Teams that have not developed the Yankees revenue stream would do well to look at that formula.

Atlanta follows very closely to the Yankee formula and has done an excellent job of maximizing revenue. Detroit appears to be making the right moves toward the Yankee formula. Boston could do the same if they'd make a ballpark large enough to support their MSA.
yup. this is exactly the point i make when the payroll is mentioned. everything costs more in NY, whether it's ballplayers or hot dogs. the makes the most and spends the most. and this talk about "buying" players...no one ever mentions the fact that about a good portion of the line-up home-grown guys. it just happens that some of them ended up being extremely good, and disereved a raise, unlike what most teams do and dump them, so they dont have to pay them. Cano, Cabrera, Jeter, Posada, Rivera, Wang, Proctor, and Williams have been yankees their whole pro careers.
Because of revenue sharing, the Florida Teams get more money from other teams then what they actually spend on the team. they deserve to lose. the owners do nothing be keep the money in their pockets and put out a $htt product, year after year. and who pays the most luxury tax, and who sells the most MLB merchandise in the world(which is split evenly with all teams)
the yankees.
Boston spends about 110 million on payroll, that's a little less then 80Mil less then the yanks, yet they have full control of new england, no competition from anyone throughout the year, Boston isn't exactly a 'poor' city. yet they operate with a half-a$$ed sabremetrics system, which is neither consistent, nor functional(at this point.)
I can go on and on....but not right now.
Car50n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 11:05 AM   #18
fossa

Quote:
no, that would be ddura
Old 08-29-2006, 01:00 PM   #19
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car50n
Boston spends about 110 million on payroll, that's a little less then 80Mil less then the yanks, yet they have full control of new england, no competition from anyone throughout the year, Boston isn't exactly a 'poor' city. yet they operate with a half-a$$ed sabremetrics system, which is neither consistent, nor functional(at this point.)
I can go on and on....but not right now.
I find it amazing you guys actually believe this stuff.

Lets face it, baseball is the most un-even sports league there is. A-rod gets paid more than some major league teams pay their whole team combined
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 01:06 PM   #20
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus
While I'm psyched that the Sox appear to be done, I'm not happy about Ortiz being out due to possible heart problems. He's a fantastic player and a great ambassador for the game. Hopefully he's alright and is able to play again this year (though not well enough to get the Sox back into it, hehe )
Well said, Drew! Well, except for the part about being psyched that the Sox appear done...and not wanting Ortiz to get the Sox back into it...

Anyway, hope Ortiz is okay.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote