Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 10-02-2012, 05:19 AM   #1661
renketsu
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Shell - yes, I have bought from Sunny twice before..

Tends to get hit by customs and I think (guessing here) it was about $40 for shipping.
renketsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:05 AM   #1662
Adoptedscot
A day without sunshine is like... night.
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by renketsu View Post
Shell - yes, I have bought from Sunny twice before..

Tends to get hit by customs and I think (guessing here) it was about $40 for shipping.
Thank you, that's a great help pal. Shame about the customs but that's just another downside on being in the UK
Hope you're doing well
x
Adoptedscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:48 AM   #1663
renketsu
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Thanks - I have man flu and could well by dying!!

Customs is a major pain and has cost me thousands over the years on statues and prints
renketsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:24 AM   #1664
Bobfrog
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
I haven't seen a single person on this forum state that they only collect prints for the edition size alone. Maybe I am wrong but I couldn't find anyone on this forum making such a statement. Releasing too large an edition size does destroy any chance a particular print has at being valuable and there are a LOT of people out there that factor value into their collecting hobbies. Its actually a fairly easy thing to understand, regardless of whether you agree with it or not. The vast majority of collectors factor value into their purchases. All one has to do is look at where the markets are today to see that value has become one of the driving factors in all collecting markets.

As for myself, I have always been attracted to rare items and not because they are valuable. I am attracted to rare items because they are rare. Its really that simple. Value plays a very small role in regards to my collecting hobbies, with coins and precious metals being the exceptions. In regards to prints, I have no interest in open edition prints, regardless of whether or not I like the artwork. I only collect limited edition prints and I only collect limited prints that are released with proper edition sizes. Its that simple. Some people understand it and some don't. I guess that's life.

Artwork and collecting - You really cant get more subjective. People should remember that when discussing these topics.
I think that if you look back over your posts you sort of come across as a bit contradictory which is probably why people say what they do in response to your posts.

Case in point:

1) you state that no one mentions collecting based on edition size yet your post below IMO suggests that this is exactly what you are doing on this particular occassion with the saloon print

Quote:
500 copies? Oh man, what a shame! 250 is bad enough on some of the newer prints. 500 is nothing short of a travesty. I love this print and was planning on buying at least 3 copies. If it really has an edition size of 500, then I am passing altogether. I just cant put my support behind such a money grab, regardless of how much I like the print.

What a bummer!
2). I can't speak for others but your posts also sorta comes across as though you're the oracle of all things relating to print collecting. When you make such bold statements, particluarly in relation to something like this, which as you pointed out is subjective matter, you're sort of inviting people to make comments back questioning what you've written.

Case in point: you make statements as though they are fact when you've suggested to others that they should remember we're talking about subjective matters...

Quote:
I have been in this market long enough to know money grabbing when I see it and this is without question money grabbing. If you want to believe differently than by all means, have some more of that Aspen Kool-Aid.
3). Despite the above I still don't understand or agree with your reasoning. I asked you why it is money grabbing and you quote back a bunch of print run sizes....
So, therefore high print runs = money grabbing right? I guess the oxford dictionary needs to update their definitions.
I also never once inferred that I thought the market size had increased, just that you calling a company money grabbers makes no contextual sense. In a normal logical sense, yeah sure they are 'grabbing' money because if they sell more then they'll get more money coming in but the way you're stating it implies that they're doing something underhand / out of line.

With regards to print run sizes, perhaps they are trying to reach a new audience and have upped their prints runs. Just because it doesn't fit in with your collecting style i.e. only buying something that is rare doesn't make it underhand business. As Aspen gets more and more popular they're only ever going to increase runs with the odd exception so you'd best get used to being disappointed.

The only thing I see that they could do better with higher print runs is maybe to try pass on better prices, other than that good on them. If they sell more then congratulations, I'm happy for them to do well.

Maybe you should email them again and ask them to make all their print runs 20 or less then you'd get what you want and they'd go out of business.
Bobfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:32 AM   #1665
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
I have been in this market long enough to know money grabbing when I see it and this is without question money grabbing. If you want to believe differently than by all means, have some more of that Aspen Kool-Aid.
I don't know you but if you work for someone else do you ever ask for a raise? If you do is that money grabbing? If you work for yourself have you ever raised prices? Isn't that money grabbing?

Aspen is a business that has to make money or they close up shop. They have employees to pay (who also would like raises) and the owners would also like to make more money too. You think these types of companies strictly sell this stuff to appease collectors? They do it to make money in a niche market and it's a finicky market. They have to be careful with how many of anything to make so they can make a decent profit and not so many that it pisses off collectors.

So you may have been in this collection market for quite some time. Maybe you should try it from the sales side instead of the purchase side and see how easy it is.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:59 AM   #1666
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

I personally do not believe Aspen had anything to do with these larger ES sizes on some of these new prints. I think it is all Joe Benitez. Why? Well, I look at the last "official" Aspen Lady M print that was the underwater Comikaze print with her in scuba gear with Stan Lee. That print had a run of 150, which is very normal for an official Aspen Lady M print. It was also a standard 13x19 Aspen print with all the normal titleing that we are used to.

Then you look at these new prints, which are all different in size, border, fonts, printed words/logos and they are all obviously done in different inks/papers. I think these new prints are simply Joe's doing. He's also selling un-numbered pencil line art versions of all of his prints direct.

One other great thing to mention about Aspen's prints (like J. Scott Campbell's Fairytale prints) is that they are numbered and limited to anywhere from 25-200. Most artists who sell prints don't even bother to number theirs, they just sell in the hundreds or thousands. Examples include Mark Brooks, Ebas, Greg Horn, etc.
NorthernLadMSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:54 AM   #1667
Adoptedscot
A day without sunshine is like... night.
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by renketsu View Post
Thanks - I have man flu and could well by dying!!

Customs is a major pain and has cost me thousands over the years on statues and prints
Yeah, I've got a cold too. Some summer, eh?!. I actually prefer winter but my arthritis and eczema don't
I hope you feel better, keep warm and take it easy. Try not to call for the ambulance until you actually get a cough though

Yeah, I've paid a chunk to customs too. Along with our postal services, I hate Customs with a vengeance .

Thanks for the info

Take care mate.
x
Adoptedscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 01:59 PM   #1668
Viper2005
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoptedscot View Post
I forgot to ask, does anyone know if sunnyscomics168 ships Internationally please?
I'm in the UK and have never bought from them before.
Their listing states US only even though in their text it states for 'foreign orders' to contact them, so I'm not sure and they havn't replied to my message.

Thanks for your help.
x
Yes, he does.. I am in Canada and he ships stuff to me all the time.
He is one of the best sellers on ebay for prints!
Viper2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:47 PM   #1669
NorthernLadMSP
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper2005 View Post
Yes, he does.. I am in Canada and he ships stuff to me all the time.
He is one of the best sellers on ebay for prints!
Agreed!
NorthernLadMSP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 05:07 PM   #1670
Cyber-Lip
Hydra

Quote:
I just got done writing a message to Aspen, telling them how disappointed I was in this latest print. I also stated that I would not be buying any prints from this day forward that had edition sizes above 200.
I bet they were glad to hear from you
Cyber-Lip is offline   Reply With Quote