Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 09-16-2021, 04:00 PM   #11
qz33
Rescue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post
I see..

On the subject of picture quality: http://www.dvdexotica.com/2019/05/wh...-is-which.html

(left to right) DVD, Blu-ray, UHD
Wow those are some big differences. Good to know. Blu-Ray it is!
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 04:01 PM   #12
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by qz33 View Post
Have no fear of offense as so far I believe this thread is full of level headed members!
I hope the moderators don't have (!) at the end of their sentences right now, as well... gulp...
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 04:11 PM   #13
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

this is one of my all time favorite movies, not just horror movies but any movie, IMO Robert Eggers is an absolutely incredible director, his attention to detail rivals Stanley Kubrick and the Lighthouse was incredible as well. I cant wait for the Northman, and he just confirmed his next movie after the Northman will be a Nosferatu remake, I cant wait

I lol when I hear some people say the witch isn't horror, if that movie isn't horror I dont know what is, it has some of the most horrific things I've ever seen in a movie, but it requires an attention span so it doesnt sit well with the crash bang explosions crowd
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 04:18 PM   #14
Bottled_Water
Birdman

The film is great, own the blu-ray, but I didn't see the anti-capitalism message. The devil at the end of the film tries to entice the protagonist with what he can offer, but I don't think that means capitalism = bad. If anything, there's a strong theme of one's own pride becoming their downfall (with the father), and maybe something about superstition leading to chaos (with how the family turns on one another), but that's about it.

That goat is a phenomenal actor though.
Bottled_Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 04:37 PM   #15
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

Quote:
And Islam is much different?

Yeah, every muslim Country interprit Islam according to their culture. Chirstianty must be the same as well. I found a great book that talks about this it is called Republican Islam by Jean-François Bayart. It give examples from the Islamic life in Ankara, Tahran and Dakar and compere them. I have high expectations for this book. I haven't read it yet. 35% of Turkey is Atheist and Deist, anyway.

Here, in Turkey. Women don't have to cover their heads and they can wear mini skirt, binkini, really tiny shorts that can reveal their butt cheeks (i went in to too much detail, i think... HA HA), if they want to wear. We are a free secular republic country. You can even say, I'm an atheist openly, but you will get the cold shoulder from most of people in Turkey.

But in some other Islam counteries, women have to cover their head and whole body and men must have beard all the time... :/ that's horrible for both men and women.
Old 09-16-2021, 05:31 PM   #16
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Wow those are some big differences. Good to know. Blu-Ray it is!
I wonder why UHD is higher resolution but darker?
If the level of darkness is correct, then i wonder why the Blu-ray isn't darker?

I have started to question the 3 screen grabs.
The DVD and Blu-ray grabs appear to be the same resolution with a blur filter added to the DVD. Blu-ray is higher resolution than DVD, more than double in fact.

DVD - Video resolution: 720×576
Blu-ray - Video resolution: 1920 X 1080
4K Ultra HD - Video resolution 3840 X 2160
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 07:58 PM   #17
CoffeeTyrant
Fantastic Four

"The A.V. Club: You can’t help but see a political subtext to a lot of this movie. For example, it got an endorsement from a group called the Satanic Temple, which said it “departs from the victim narrative of witchcraft” as a “declaration of feminine independence.” Were you trying to make these kinds of political points in the story?

Robert Eggers: Yeah—to sound like a tool director type—“I was trying to present without judgment.” I was trying to figure out what “the witch” meant in the early modern period and depict “the evil witch” in a way that she would have been understood in the time. But without any agendas, feminism rises to the top."

Thematically it's very feminist which I didn't really pick up on initially but after reading this interview with Eggers it's easy to see in retrospect.
CoffeeTyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 04:51 AM   #18
The Dark Knight
Hellfire Club

Other things that i believe i understood from the film.

Father's rebelion against the town and town's church. That led to banishment in to wilderness. The Forest, wilderness is the home of Satan. The town was where all the chiristians were living under God. When the family left, there was no hope for them, they would fall prey to Satan in the Forest. You know, as the lamb of God, if you leave the herd under the protection of the shappered, Wolves will get you.

Familly started to immidiatly get corrupted under the infuluance of the Satan with their departure. The boy stated to desire his big sister, Thomasin. The little boy and girl, started to jump around singing the songs about The Satan, The Black Phillip. All kinds of bad omens started to happen including one of regular white goats giving blood instead of milk when Thomasin milked it.

It was intense and there was no hope for the family from the begining.

And the Chiristianty in the film was against nudists. Nudists are devil worshipping witches. HA HA