Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 08-30-2020, 03:15 AM   #1591
Python
Omega Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vpuik View Post
I've never seen it but people insist it has happened.

I've seen it a few times. The only item I actually ordered which it happened on was the mythos Boba Fett (or was it Obi? I forget)
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 06:35 AM   #1592
darren1228
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Python View Post
I've seen it a few times. The only item I actually ordered which it happened on was the mythos Boba Fett (or was it Obi? I forget)
I believe it was mythos Obi. It was sold out for a long time, then they said the full ES was not produced the first time around so they started taking preorders again and produced more for a second batch. The originally stated ES was not increased.
darren1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 07:58 AM   #1593
craigcliff1
Zot

Yes with Obi didn't sell that great so SSC bailed on rest of ES. Then many wanted him so within a year or so SSC put the statue up again. I was so hyped then could get one.
craigcliff1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 09:51 AM   #1594
Vpuik
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Yeah I think thats the one everyone talks about. It was before my time though.
Vpuik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 11:48 AM   #1595
Python
Omega Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren1228 View Post
I believe it was mythos Obi. It was sold out for a long time, then they said the full ES was not produced the first time around so they started taking preorders again and produced more for a second batch. The originally stated ES was not increased.

I don't think they said anything initially, it just sold out and came back months later. Sucks for those who paid double or more on the secondary market between that period. This is fine, but they do need to be open about such things, I:E if a run is cut short...
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 11:52 AM   #1596
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

I don’t understand this obsession with ES. Even with the larger size ES some statues have it’s still a collectible. I know it’s cool to have something that only a few hundred people have but I prefer to be able to purchase these pieces of art without worrying it’s gonna sell out in minutes. What if it’s not a pay week and a piece I’ve been waiting for goes up for preorder. Chances are it will be gone before I get paid. To me that’s not fun. I remember in the beginning of this hobby with Bowen. I remember the chrome Surfer bust and the gold Bucky and how frustrating it was to miss out out on them because there was like freaking 3 of them made. Yes I’m exaggerating but you understand where I’m coming from. Rant over.
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 11:18 PM   #1597
Mr. Nice Guy
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The General View Post
I don’t understand this obsession with ES. Even with the larger size ES some statues have it’s still a collectible. I know it’s cool to have something that only a few hundred people have but I prefer to be able to purchase these pieces of art without worrying it’s gonna sell out in minutes.
I agree with this. ES for me has never been a big deal. The prices of these items themselves are prohibitive and makes them uncommon.

This hobby has been churning out the same characters for years. All the while, production and technology has improved. The integration of new media elements and lighting capacity. More detailed paint application. More complex pieces. Regardless of your ES on a piece, it is a matter of time until a better piece is made of the character and value of your piece plummets. Very very few have truly gone up in value and held it, generally due to either the character not being repeated (ie Talon) or the inability of manufacturers to top the original (Ie. Doom).
Mr. Nice Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 06:31 AM   #1598
ambasah
Red Skull

edition size is huge to me. because I don't like paying full retail just to see my statue available for significantly less in the aftermarket 6 months later. check ebay sold to see what I mean, with the rarest of exceptions. I will wait for a deal in the aftermarket rather than pre-order if SS decides to make thousands and thousands of a particular piece. Gambit is a great example...there are 6000 of them!
ambasah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 07:11 PM   #1599
The General
Doctor Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nice Guy View Post
I agree with this. ES for me has never been a big deal. The prices of these items themselves are prohibitive and makes them uncommon.

This hobby has been churning out the same characters for years. All the while, production and technology has improved. The integration of new media elements and lighting capacity. More detailed paint application. More complex pieces. Regardless of your ES on a piece, it is a matter of time until a better piece is made of the character and value of your piece plummets. Very very few have truly gone up in value and held it, generally due to either the character not being repeated (ie Talon) or the inability of manufacturers to top the original (Ie. Doom).

Insert bro fist <here>
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 01:42 PM   #1600
Bubsy
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

I just got this recently, and this is 100% on me for not researching the materials, but the entire head is plastic? Wtf lol. So is the chest piece, the belt, etc. etc. Makes the whole thing feel like a giant non-articulated action figure. I don't get the high praise on Youtube videos. I'm also not a fan of mixed media so that influences my opinion quite a bit. It's too bad the Iron Studios 1/4 Vader is like $2k in the aftermarket or something. Would've definitely preferred that one.
Bubsy is offline   Reply With Quote