Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 08-23-2017, 11:16 AM   #6641
Ryanbusts
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
That's not correct. If a piece of art goes down in price it's because there are not enough people who appreciate it as much as the original buyer. Art sells for a price because someone is willing to pay it, in their eyes the piece was worth that price because they enjoy it. It's not about rich, poor or in between.

That's what I think gets lost, buying pieces that are enjoyed, not coveted because they're going to make you money down the road.
Agree 100%

I just don't consider these statues art like I don't consider a poster of a Monet art. It's a picture or copy of the original- the true art. I would consider the original sculpt the actual art.
It's get to a point where- do we call a keychain art because it has Mona Lisa on it? I understand the- hey I like the artwork on your keychain part but that's it for me.
My differential between statues collecting and art collecting. My statue spending has a budget. Art is an endless cost. Literally.
Ryanbusts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:02 PM   #6642
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanbusts View Post
Agree 100%

I just don't consider these statues art like I don't consider a poster of a Monet art. It's a picture or copy of the original- the true art. I would consider the original sculpt the actual art.
It's get to a point where- do we call a keychain art because it has Mona Lisa on it? I understand the- hey I like the artwork on your keychain part but that's it for me.
My differential between statues collecting and art collecting. My statue spending has a budget. Art is an endless cost. Literally.
And I do agree in part. I do consider these replicas. Much like a limited print or other such replica of an original piece, not like your other analogy to a key chain. But, it's still the only place to get one of these replica's and the original will never be for sale. So the art can only be enjoyed by purchasing one of the replicas. In that sense, you pay what needs to be paid to enjoy it.

What was being discussed by BTS was worrying about a resale price, which I guess I'll just never understand worrying about something that may or may not ever happen. I collect to keep, if by some chance I need to or decide to sell to get something else, I take the money I can get to put towards the other purchase. Whether it's more, as much or less than what I paid is immaterial because I paid to enjoy it at the time, what happens after isn't a concern to me.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 09:07 AM   #6643
omigeo
Alpha Flight

This might be a old thread, but to me this is the ultimate WW for sure. This is the epitome of WW. I love this one more then the New one coming out. A sure classic sculpt by Steven Schumacher

Don't get me wrong, the one coming out soon is gorgeous in look, but she doesn't transcend like this one does!! a pure classic!!

I will be purchasing this soon hopefully!!
omigeo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 01:35 PM   #6644
Tbolt
Inconceivable!
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigeo View Post
This might be a old thread, but to me this is the ultimate WW for sure. This is the epitome of WW. I love this one more then the New one coming out. A sure classic sculpt by Steven Schumacher

Don't get me wrong, the one coming out soon is gorgeous in look, but she doesn't transcend like this one does!! a pure classic!!

I will be purchasing this soon hopefully!!
Owned the first, hated the chintzy base, the hands were painted poorly, and the staff was beginning to sag. Sold it off for the new one. didn't hate it, loved the fierce portrait (even though many thought it mannish), but the new one has a lot more going for it IMO. But the first is still a quality representation, just could have been better executed in a couple of areas.
Tbolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 03:15 PM   #6645
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbolt View Post
Owned the first, hated the chintzy base, the hands were painted poorly, and the staff was beginning to sag. Sold it off for the new one. didn't hate it, loved the fierce portrait (even though many thought it mannish), but the new one has a lot more going for it IMO. But the first is still a quality representation, just could have been better executed in a couple of areas.
I agree 100% about the hands, they were terribly done, I had the same issue with Black Canary's hands too...

That aside, I do think the Original WW looks more like a fierce Amazonian Warrior where the new one looks more like a hot cosplay model... As for the bases, I agree the original was pretty plain looking but I still prefer it to the stairs of the new base... I never saw the whole "she looks like a man" thing some people tried to bring up, she's just in shape with very low body fat... Where the new one she is still in shape but has a lot more body fat, plump face, big butt and huge breasts... Both styles have been represented in comics over the years, so ultimately you can't go wrong with either statue...

I still own the original and I'll probably buy the new one also... I think ultimately their both great representation of WW...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 06:56 PM   #6646
omigeo
Alpha Flight

Firece

I know, I'm way late on this, but I finally grabbed this one and I'm certainly blown away with what Steve Shumacher sculpted here and everyone that had a hand in making her...Thank you SS LOVE THIS PIECE SO MUCH!!!

They made changes, now her pieces connect with magnets

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3464 (2).jpg
Views:	68
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	124392

Name:	IMG_3467 (2).jpg
Views:	38
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	124393

Name:	IMG_3468.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	124394

Name:	IMG_3465 (2).jpg
Views:	38
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	124395

Name:	IMG_3466.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	124396

Name:	IMG_3463.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	124397

Please excuse the terrible pictures. Taken from my cell phones plus the shadow of her hair makes it look like she has stains on her face
Old 07-14-2019, 07:43 PM   #6647
Tempest
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
And I do agree in part. I do consider these replicas. Much like a limited print or other such replica of an original piece, not like your other analogy to a key chain. But, it's still the only place to get one of these replica's and the original will never be for sale. So the art can only be enjoyed by purchasing one of the replicas. In that sense, you pay what needs to be paid to enjoy it.

What was being discussed by BTS was worrying about a resale price, which I guess I'll just never understand worrying about something that may or may not ever happen. I collect to keep, if by some chance I need to or decide to sell to get something else, I take the money I can get to put towards the other purchase. Whether it's more, as much or less than what I paid is immaterial because I paid to enjoy it at the time, what happens after isn't a concern to me.
They're kind of like Lithographs. High quality copy of the original and limited run.
Tempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:12 PM   #6648
SDguy

Magnets? Nice! Congrats, still my favorite 1:4 WW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigeo View Post
I know, I'm way late on this, but I finally grabbed this one and I'm certainly blown away with what Steve Shumacher sculpted here and everyone that had a hand in making her...Thank you SS LOVE THIS PIECE SO MUCH!!!

They made changes, now her pieces connect with magnets

Please excuse the terrible pictures. Taken from my cell phones plus the shadow of her hair makes it look like she has stains on her face
SDguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:26 PM   #6649
omigeo
Alpha Flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDguy View Post
Magnets? Nice! Congrats, still my favorite 1:4 WW.
She is the only WW in 1:4 that I have, and is my favorite to date as well.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:28 PM   #6650
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Yah it’s my favorite Wonder Woman too... I converted one of mine to 600 costume.

VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote