Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Chronicle Collectibles

Old 11-12-2018, 04:47 PM   #281
Chronicle CS
Chronicle Collectibles
Producer

Also we have received many pieces over the past few years from collectors. When we say we mold from an original maquette, if it's a recast of a recast it's still a Stan Winston pull. In some cases we've had to do a lot of clean up work to make them presentable.

Universal doesn't have any of the original maquettes and they are very happy to have us find these, recasts or originals and place them into production. Many of our pieces now reside in the Universal Archives.

Our 1:5 busts and Full Rex, Baby Rex, 1:5 Trike and at least one other came from Stan Winston original castings.

I don't claim to get it right 100% of the time on the origin of a master, but Universal owns any version of these dinosaurs if it's from production or claims to be JP.

We are just trying to bring you affordable JP Maquettes in the highest quality we can produce. I think we've done pretty good with the Maquettes released so far.

Also some of the Maquette paint jobs were bright and vibrant and Universal in some cases wants them painted like they were seen in the film. That's what we did with the Stego and Compy.

Paul
Chronicle CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:53 PM   #282
clutch
Sailor Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronicle CS View Post
Yes it will be heavy, but that means quality, right?

Paul
Just means expensive.

clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:55 PM   #283
Chronicle CS
Chronicle Collectibles
Producer

""Sick Trike is from ILM while in fact it's Julien's model.""

Well there may be some discrepancy in what Julien told us, I was told it was created from a scan of the original Sick Trike 1:1 puppet. If that's the case it would have been ILM that made the scan and Julien got it somehow and used it to create our Trike. If that's not the case I'm happy to correct that publicly.

""Rotunda Rex is scan of 1/5 maquette just to sell the product is something else and should activate the alarm in the fans heads""

Well It's true, we had Captured Dimension scan the full 1:5 Trex and we used a blend between that and the female from the new films. If you scale down the 1:5 all of the details smooth out so Dean and Sean basically resculpted the entire dinosaur using the 1:5 as a road map. The head lines up dot for dot as does the rest of the dinosaur.

I don't like the cartoon neck of the Rotunda Rex and I'm sure if it could be done over ILM would have a flawless rex proportionate to the Maquette.

Anyway I believe ours is the most accurate to date and if you pass on this one, you will regret it.

Paul
Chronicle CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 06:59 PM   #284
wpmedia
Fantastic Four

Quote:
I don't like the cartoon neck of the Rotunda Rex and I'm sure if it could be done over ILM would have a flawless rex proportionate to the Maquette.
Well said Paul.
wpmedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:12 PM   #285
Giu3232
Fantastic Four

Quote:
""Sick Trike is from ILM while in fact it's Julien's model.""

Well there may be some discrepancy in what Julien told us, I was told it was created from a scan of the original Sick Trike 1:1 puppet. If that's the case it would have been ILM that made the scan and Julien got it somehow and used it to create our Trike. If that's not the case I'm happy to correct that publicly.
Hmm, no, I NEVER told you the scan was made by ILM, I told you it was made from a copy of the original full scale model which is true. ILM has never been involved in the process and i told Dean several time to told you to correct that information. You called it "the original scan" "the ILM file"or all sort of things by yourself, I NEVER told you ILM scanned it YOU told it, let me outside of this.
Scan of the full size sculpt yes, ILM model no. And the scan was incomplete in some area, other area where blurry, I had to fix stuff on it, which I did.

Quote:
""Rotunda Rex is scan of 1/5 maquette just to sell the product is something else and should activate the alarm in the fans heads""

Well It's true, we had Captured Dimension scan the full 1:5 Trex and we used a blend between that and the female from the new films. If you scale down the 1:5 all of the details smooth out so Dean and Sean basically resculpted the entire dinosaur using the 1:5 as a road map. The head lines up dot for dot as does the rest of the dinosaur.

I m working on major blockbusters since almost a decaded, working as senior modeler, texture artist AND scan instructor when I worked for ILM, should I comment a bit on this?
Giu3232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:58 PM   #286
CAIN MKII
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giu3232 View Post
I m working on major blockbusters since almost a decaded, working as senior modeler, texture artist AND scan instructor when I worked for ILM, should I comment a bit on this?
If its in an instructive way, yes.
I love technical intel
CAIN MKII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:20 PM   #287
Leekson
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Since I've started debate on this piece, I have a need to give some thoughts...
First, I've never said it's a bad thing using recasts and that if there weren't them most of the fans would be shortened for a piece. But threatening that those people will be reported to Universal is something else. My honest opinion is that you should've been grateful to them and not mention them at all instead of threatening to them, but again that's my humble opinion
As much as I know 1/5 Trike bust is not from the maquette, but also Julien's model
I've never commented on a paint scheme you're using, maquette, animatronic or CGI, if I've commented it would be about production piece paint quality
Although Julien already answered the most important question, I'm sorry but I don't believe in that story about loosing details when scaling down the piece that big and with that much details. I'm not a 3D modeler, but I suppose there's a tool to increase the details that are scanned, instead of adding completely new skin texture. You are saying it's a scan of 1/5 maquette and completely accurate but the skin texture is different. It's like one would scan soccer ball, put the basketball texture on it and say it's soccer ball. I've never said the piece is looking very bad, I actually said I would buy it even with this skin texture if some minor things would be fixed, but what I'm fighting against is false advertising. You can't claim it's the exactly the same scan of the maquette when it's obviously not, and you said that not once but a lot of times during live video, we took the scan, every skin wrinkle matches, etc...
Leekson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:50 PM   #288
Giu3232
Fantastic Four

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAIN MKII View Post
If its in an instructive way, yes.
I love technical intel
I'm not here to put comparison pictures or comment more than I should, but to bring some light on the technology could be interesting I think.

The company they used is using a technology called photogrammetry, it can capture skin pore on a human face ... that s very accurate if you know well how to use it, the company they used worked on Logan, so they are suposed to know their job quite well.

Here is a picture from their facebook for you to see what a 3d scan rig looks like:

Here is a link where you can read:
"Hugh Jackman has been here, in the eye of a hundred cameras"

https://planoprofile.com/2017/03/20/...SCvnNWy-8YD_pw

I got that link on their website.

Here is the 3d model they managed to do thanks to the scan, of course they modified and enhanced it to get that result but it looks great to me:

Quite good I'd say

Here is a video of what that technology was able to do in 2014

https://vimeo.com/107053518

Think about it ... 4 years ago, almost 5.

I can see people telling me that's just a head, that the trex is bigger ..., here is some cool video for people thinking you can only scan small objects:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6E7F3Slbys

And here is what I got when I scanned a less than 2 feet long horizon dilophosaur, scanned almost 5 years ago for my personnal JP project ...

... only less than 2 feet long ... I even got the scales on it.

I m a guy who believe his eye, and trust his knowledge. I avoid conflict as much as I can but will answer if attacked.

People tell me lots and lots of stuff, I always try to see if it match what I know about the subject, I m happy you like technical stuff and hope you ll enjoy the video and new information you now have about the subject.

Enjoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leekson View Post
I suppose there's a tool to increase the details that are scanned, instead of adding completely new skin texture.
Mask by cavities, tweak the curve, invert the mask, blur or sharpen it if needed then push the wrinkles deeper ^, ^ .. you're welcome
Giu3232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:20 PM   #289
Ninner
A day without sunshine is like... night.

You can see the difference in the tail skin wrinkles...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A3F8B5B1-9C67-499E-95FE-799A2BD245F8.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	411.4 KB
ID:	118586  
Ninner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:20 PM   #290
DeadGhostKnight
This is Dr. DGK, I'm listening...
SF ReviewerModerator

This is all a very interesting read.

Getting recasts of the original Stan Winston dinos to sell as licensed statues and then threatening to report people to Universal who have the recasts?

Hhhhmmm.
DeadGhostKnight is offline   Reply With Quote