Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Infinity Studios / Gantaku / Queen Studios

Old 09-17-2022, 05:37 AM   #611
K1NG J0RDAN
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
Sorry about the issues.

Really odd about the base direction though.

I don?t see anything wrong with the Tiara. But anyway the Tiara is easily adjustable as I believe it?s just an elastic around the back. Just lift it slightly from the front as there should be enough slack.

As I mentioned previously, my box was ripped all to shreds. And there was even hole going all the way through the shipper, art box, and styrofoam break all the way to those gold base accents, but luckily none of them were the least bit damaged. But if you?re going to have any breaks, that?s the only piece I would accept it on.

I also had issues with getting the right forearm on. It?s still not perfectly flush, but you can?t really tell. Though up close I can see that it?s already slightly imprinted with the gauntlet compression marks further than I?m able to get it (1/4 of an inch), from when I guess the factory test fitted them on.
Dang, that?s rough too regarding your box. I definitely don?t know what I should do about my issues. I can contact SpecFiction but unsure what my options would be. For the price I definitely feel a bit bummed out and wondering if I should have just stuck with my Alita bust and been done with busts, lol.

The tiara was completely off the head when I opened the box.
K1NG J0RDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 02:19 PM   #612
pdenham
Teen Titans

Sorry to hear about all the issues you've experienced with this. After the elation of finally scoring one, only to have it arrive with multiple problems, is the part of this hobby that everybody dreads.

The base being backward is truly bizarre, Though in my case that would have been a happy accident as I think the look of these without the trademarked logos and titles always look classier. But that's me- and not what you paid for.

If the silicone is unblemished, the casting still accurate, and the paint apps and hair on the silicone all in place- then the most significant part of this is in the clear.

The breakage on the base elements sucks, obviously. But if they are relatively clean breaks they can likely be repaired so that no one (other than yourself) will notice.
The part of this hobby people rarely discuss is the mental part- Very few of these things are ever perfect. Unless the flaws are catastrophic and impair stability or functionality, or else in an area of critical attention like the portrait or a thematic focal point, focusing all your attention on them robs you of the enjoyment you should be getting from the bigger statement it makes in your room.

Even with all the troubles, I still think you're extremely fortunate. After Alita, WW has been the only truly desirable bust for me.
But I'll never have one- in any shape- to enjoy. So I- and plenty others- still envy you. Though maybe not the way you're feeling at the moment.

Hopefully Todd can work with you, to get you to some level of satisfaction here.

Otherwise, even with some damage, I think this will hold it's value remarkably well. Especially after people see what JND is going to be charging for their smaller 1/3.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 02:36 PM   #613
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
Otherwise, even with some damage, I think this will hold it's value remarkably well. Especially after people see what JND is going to be charging for their smaller 1/3.
A bust is a bust, a 1/3 scale statue is a completely different beast. I love the Infinity Studios Catwoman, but it doesn't compare to the JND (IMHO) because it's just a torso and head.

These products won't hold their value - we all know this. With new products hitting the market all the time, collectors being as fickle as we are, and with pricing pretty much at the ceiling for most "average" collectors - value retention is pretty much dead.

I've been wanting a WW84 from JND, but I refuse to pay the inflated "desirability" tax people are charging, and now JND is proposing this new JL WW, I wouldn't bother buying the WW84 even at original retail.....it's old news, and by the general consensus, not even the most desirable look for WW.....
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 03:17 PM   #614
K1NG J0RDAN

Quote:
Sorry to hear about all the issues you've experienced with this. After the elation of finally scoring one, only to have it arrive with multiple problems, is the part of this hobby that everybody dreads.

The base being backward is truly bizarre, Though in my case that would have been a happy accident as I think the look of these without the trademarked logos and titles always look classier. But that's me- and not what you paid for.

If the silicone is unblemished, the casting still accurate, and the paint apps and hair on the silicone all in place- then the most significant part of this is in the clear.

The breakage on the base elements sucks, obviously. But if they are relatively clean breaks they can likely be repaired so that no one (other than yourself) will notice.
The part of this hobby people rarely discuss is the mental part- Very few of these things are ever perfect. Unless the flaws are catastrophic and impair stability or functionality, or else in an area of critical attention like the portrait or a thematic focal point, focusing all your attention on them robs you of the enjoyment you should be getting from the bigger statement it makes in your room.

Even with all the troubles, I still think you're extremely fortunate. After Alita, WW has been the only truly desirable bust for me.
But I'll never have one- in any shape- to enjoy. So I- and plenty others- still envy you. Though maybe not the way you're feeling at the moment.

Hopefully Todd can work with you, to get you to some level of satisfaction here.

Thanks, yeah I'm trying to stay positive about even having the piece to begin with. It's an amazing presence in the room. The good thing about the piece that broke for the base, at least I have the 4 sections along the front filled. Only the very back (which is actually the front normally) is empty.

I reached out to Todd. See what he says. I think the biggest thing about the base issue that is shocking is don't they test fit this stuff before it gets sent to packing? I'd love to know how it got past QC.

Silicone all looks fine to my eye. Not very oily like some. The silicone smell in the room is incredibly strong today.
Old 09-17-2022, 03:29 PM   #615
K1NG J0RDAN

The eyebrows could be darker but I'm not ballsy enough to mess with it.. lol

Old 09-17-2022, 04:28 PM   #616
pdenham
Teen Titans

Yeah, Superdude has proven his bravery in tackling those eyebrows, and emerging triumphant.

Other than that, and the hair being able to stand a little more futzing at some point, I think yours looks phenomenal KJ. If you ever think about selling it, pm me
Old 09-17-2022, 04:37 PM   #617
K1NG J0RDAN

Quote:
Yeah, Superdude has proven his bravery in tackling those eyebrows, and emerging triumphant.

Other than that, and the hair being able to stand a little more futzing at some point, I think yours looks phenomenal KJ. If you ever think about selling it, pm me
I'll keep you in mind if I ever lose the love for her

Let me tell you, the hair was a mess! Since my tiara was off the head in the box, the hairnet didn't do much help at all. It's definitely a way different experience than Alita's straight hair.

I will wait and see if it frizzes up much before possibly taking a brush to it, but Alita's has been very minor and not much maintenance required. And I just used my hands for her!
Old 09-17-2022, 04:47 PM   #618
pdenham
Teen Titans

Good point. It probably will change over time with basic environmental exposure now. Makes sense to wait and see to what extent that will be, and then go from there.
Old 09-17-2022, 04:59 PM   #619
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
A bust is a bust, a 1/3 scale statue is a completely different beast. I love the Infinity Studios Catwoman, but it doesn't compare to the JND (IMHO) because it's just a torso and head.

These products won't hold their value - we all know this. With new products hitting the market all the time, collectors being as fickle as we are, and with pricing pretty much at the ceiling for most "average" collectors - value retention is pretty much dead.

I've been wanting a WW84 from JND, but I refuse to pay the inflated "desirability" tax people are charging, and now JND is proposing this new JL WW, I wouldn't bother buying the WW84 even at original retail.....it's old news, and by the general consensus, not even the most desirable look for WW.....
In general most collectors I believe think the same, as many don't like the look of having only part of a figure on display or what looks to be a severed body, especially in life size as it looks too real I guess.

But as such a thing doesn't bother me, imo it's the JND that doesn't compare to the Infinity bust (at least to the prototype, as we all know this could well change with the production piece). I know people like to say that likeness is subjective, and nearly everyone who seems to own the JND Selina Kyle comments that in person that the issues that people see on photos and even on videos, isn't as apparently in person. But imo the likeness on Infinity's prototype photos is just on another level, when compared to JND's (prototype or production), and it is the accuracy to the actress which should be given much greater weight, than being a full statue or not.

And these silicone pieces seem to be holding their value quite well (as long as you bought at retail and not at its appreciated value). Obviously JND's seem to be appreciating the most, but even a few among the Queens busts have supposedly doubled in value. I expect that the Queen's Loki bust took quite the hit when the new version from Queen was announced, but isn't that still going well above retail in the aftermarket? Though I wouldn't sell anything in the current economic situation unless a person's financial situation gives them absolutely no choice, or they're able to get a good price.

Obviously this WW hasn't appreciated much at all, as nearly from day one it was taken down a peg by Infinity's version. Now that I've seen both in person, I can say overall that Infinity's is the superior piece, but I just don't like how the forehead area looks in person. infinity's seems to have gotten sharper features, whereas Queen's has gotten softer.
Phoenixblazes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 05:07 PM   #620
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1NG J0RDAN View Post
I'll keep you in mind if I ever lose the love for her

Let me tell you, the hair was a mess! Since my tiara was off the head in the box, the hairnet didn't do much help at all. It's definitely a way different experience than Alita's straight hair.

I will wait and see if it frizzes up much before possibly taking a brush to it, but Alita's has been very minor and not much maintenance required. And I just used my hands for her!
Unfortunately to get the hair perfect you'll need more than a simple brush. I still remember those photos of people taking their WW bust for an actual professional wash and styling.
Phoenixblazes is online now   Reply With Quote