Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 03-29-2019, 08:20 PM   #1
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

New Logo for Detective Comics

Starting with issue #1001. Gotta say, I’m not a fan. The over prominance of yellow and cartoony look just doesn’t feel right for Detective Comics or Batman.

Info and new logo here:

https://www.newsarama.com/44534-dete...tric-logo.html
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 11:37 AM   #2
armitage
Kindly Asked To Leave

It's technically well done using the interior of the symbol to incorporate the text, the contrast between blue and yellow and negative space of the word Batman. The primary yellow does give it a "cartoony" vibe but with a simple color (maybe even just the tone) change this is a nice working logo.
armitage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 12:09 PM   #3
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

As a large company CMO, I agree with your technical points. In terms of design, it’s very good. But design has to be driven by a briefing that carries forth a business and/or marketing strategy and what this design tells me is that the book and character are meant to be bright, optimistic and cartoony...none of which are appropriate for Detective Comics or Batman. So, if this design is on-strategy then the strategy is off-character.
Old 03-30-2019, 12:34 PM   #4
armitage
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
As a large company CMO, I agree with your technical points. In terms of design, it’s very good. But design has to be driven by a briefing that carries forth a business and/or marketing strategy and what this design tells me is that the book and character are meant to be bright, optimistic and cartoony...none of which are appropriate for Detective Comics or Batman. So, if this design is on-strategy then the strategy is off-character.
I work as a professional artist who graduated with a BFA in drawing in 98' and have worked in graphic design for many years and now illustrate cards for Topps, Rittenhouse, Upper Deck and Cryptozoic
so I understand exactly what you mean when you say this color choice is not indicative of Batman.
Old 03-30-2019, 03:01 PM   #5
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by armitage View Post
I work as a professional artist who graduated with a BFA in drawing in 98' and have worked in graphic design for many years and now illustrate cards for Topps, Rittenhouse, Upper Deck and Cryptozoic
so I understand exactly what you mean when you say this color choice is not indicative of Batman.
Love your background! You’re the kind of person I’d like to hire. My Ivy League MBA is in marketing and finance. Also have art and design training but not as extensive as yours. I’ve worked at AmEx, JPMorganChase and with PetSmart, McDonalds and other retail and financial services brands. I’ve been a CMO since 1997 and, where my focus on design is concerned, that focus is commercial rather than fine art. So it always must be driven by a creative brief that, in turn, is guided by business and marketing strategy to sell a product.

Comic books are both fine art and commercial art. Commercial art as they must sell to a market in order to stay viable. I can really appreciate and admire this design on its own merit but, and I know I’m repeating myself, it’s got to be off strategy or, if not, the strategy is ass-backward for Detective Comics and Batman.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:19 AM   #6
armitage
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Love your background! You’re the kind of person I’d like to hire. My Ivy League MBA is in marketing and finance. Also have art and design training but not as extensive as yours. I’ve worked at AmEx, JPMorganChase and with PetSmart, McDonalds and other retail and financial services brands. I’ve been a CMO since 1997 and, where my focus on design is concerned, that focus is commercial rather than fine art. So it always must be driven by a creative brief that, in turn, is guided by business and marketing strategy to sell a product.

Comic books are both fine art and commercial art. Commercial art as they must sell to a market in order to stay viable. I can really appreciate and admire this design on its own merit but, and I know I’m repeating myself, it’s got to be off strategy or, if not, the strategy is ass-backward for Detective Comics and Batman.

Your background in marketing and field of education is very impressive. Those are some great credentials. It's not an easy task to compete on that level. I can see how you can appreciate the successful aspects as well as the shortcomings of the Detective Comics logo. Marketing makes the world go round. Any business worth it's weight relies on people like you. That's a big responsibility.

Numbers are not my ally I was never good at the analytics or organization part of trying to market but I will undoubtedly have to make a go of it at some point I think since I plan on crowd funding my own comic within a year or two and will have to not only promote the brand but do everything else including fulfillment.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:38 AM   #7
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

I am not a fan of this logo. To me if this logo was for a Batman Cartoon series it would be a great logo. (When I first saw this logo I immediately thought of the Brave and the Bold cartoon which I loved) Or if it said Batman Family (for a Batman Family comic) it would be a great logo. I just think for Detective Comics it is not a great logo. The various covers for Detective Comics #1000 showed logos for the past 80 years. I would have been happy with one of those continuing.
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote