Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSET View Post
Clockers (underrated movie)
Malcolm X
Inside Man
25th Hour

Spike lee's a good director
But his personality is a little annoying, his feud with Quinten and Samuel was idiotic.

I also think his confidence and self-righteousness is bleeding into his work.

Even inside man to an extent was good in-spite of him. The movie had a great script but you could tell Spike was forcing some unnecessary racial issues. Not the ending of course.

I'll never see Old Boy, the remake
Also, Do The Right Thing appears on many critics' best ever lists. It was ranked at #127 on the latest Sight & Sound top 250 of all time poll.

He's made some good movies. I would not boycott all of his work if I had a problem with him the same way I would not boycott other controversial directors like Roman Polanski or Mel Gibson. If a movie gets good reviews, I'll take a chance on it.
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:57 PM   #16702
metroid
Kindly Asked To Leave

Woody allen is also controversial.
metroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:10 PM   #16703
ParisDean

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroid View Post
Woody allen is also controversial.
Definitely. There are many people who refuse to see any Woody Allen movie now.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:11 PM   #16704
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisDean View Post
Also, Do The Right Thing appears on many critics' best ever lists. It was ranked at #127 on the latest Sight & Sound top 250 of all time poll.

He's made some good movies. I would not boycott all of his work if I had a problem with him the same way I would not boycott other controversial directors like Roman Polanski or Mel Gibson. If a movie gets good reviews, I'll take a chance on it.
Controversial is one thing but these two are A-Holes with a capital A. I would never support any of their work regardless of how good the movie may be.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:15 PM   #16705
ParisDean

Sunset Blvd. (1950) - A hack screenwriter writes a screenplay for a former silent-film star who has faded into Hollywood obscurity.

So many classic lines. "I am big. It's the pictures that got small." Haha. 9/10
Old 03-17-2014, 02:21 PM   #16706
ParisDean

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Controversial is one thing but these two are A-Holes with a capital A. I would never support any of their work regardless of how good the movie may be.
I like Repulsion and Rosemary's Baby by the former and Apocalypto by the latter.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:27 PM   #16707
DSET
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
More to my point why I won't watch Lee's films is his behind the scenes antics which you've elaborated on a bit but it runs so much deeper than that. There are a lot of Hollywood types I despise but they keep their personal and professional lives separate for the most part allowing me to still enjoy their films for what they are. Not with Spike Lee though. The guy is a racist, it seeps into his work and because of that I refuse to support anything he is involved in.
agreed

but yeah i did like some of his films, I really liked clockers and inside man. And yeah his style can be extremely annoying.

to parisdeans point
I don't boycott often
if one of his movies gets good reviews and the trailer looks good ill prolly see it on dvd.
but as for oldboy, pass,pass
DSET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:46 PM   #16708
Python
Omega Red

Pacific Rim 7/10

Had this on blu ray since Christmas and I've only just got around to watching it. It was good fun, I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Not as good as my go to popcorn flick (ID4) but pretty cool none the less... I actually want to buy the Sideshow pieces now
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:34 PM   #16709
El Pulento
The InJustice League

300 Raise of an Empire 3.5/5 enjoyed the movie a lot! Does anyone know if Frank Miller has novels for a 3rd part?..
El Pulento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:48 PM   #16710
Primal
Batman

Grand Budapest Hotel 2/5

I got suckered in because of the charming trailer but I don't "get" what the big deal is about this Wes Anderson guy. Not a total loss because of the interesting visual style, Ralph Fiennes performance, time period being depicted, and the couple of chuckles along the way, but it needed more laughs to keep it from being stale. WAY overrated...at least for me. And what was up with the annoying 1.33 aspect ratio??? Artistic vision? Meh. Part of why I go to the movies is for the widescreen panoramic experience.
Primal is offline   Reply With Quote