Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Bowen Designs

Old 01-21-2021, 11:03 PM   #91
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraFan View Post
You're allowed to disagree lol. That's why we all have opinions and can voice them. I don't think it's KOTO though.
Koto is the only direct competition for Bowen in the States. Neither sideshow or XM release 1/6 Marvel statues. You're comparing apples to oranges. I don't know many collectors who buy 1/5 or 1/4 scale statues and display them with their 1/6 collection.

If collectors want to start, add to, or finish off a 1/6 collection, they would turn to Bowen Designs to make that happen. His return would be greatly anticipated.
FJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 12:07 AM   #92
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Scratch View Post
During the height of that Bowen run I would look at the competition and it was exceedingly rare that I would see anything that came remotely close to Bowens comic-style releases. There were just too many liberties artists took in their interpretation. A point that really stood out to me was the initial version of Firelord that was posted on here as a preview... the artist took a lot of liberties and the Bowen collectors really reacted negatively. If I am not mistaken the piece went back for some "touch-ups" to bring it into the comic-style aesthetic that defined Bowens work. The result was a piece that fit with the overall style of Bowen.
This to me was the problem with so many other companies, Their artistic liberties really clashed with what I wanted. I don't want realism... I WANT THE CHARACTERS I GREW UP READING In 3-D. I started with Bowen, have only collected bowen and can't stomach the idea of a piece from another companyy in a different scale or aesthetic that clashes with the continuity of Bowen. In reality it just sets off my OCD and drives me insane.
My brother once bought me an Iron man bust fom another company... I simply can't display it. It just doesn't fit.
I know many collectors like myself who are only into Bowen because he maintained a standard. That was part of the appeal. You knew what you were getting and the only thing that held you back from a piece was whether you liked the character or not. Once Phase 1 was complete and a style had been established it was a foregone conclusion that an announcement of a character was all you needed to know if you were going to purchase it. The consistency of Bowen was that good, whereas other companies it seemed like a crap shoot of "I'll wait and see what the artist does with this".
Definitely. There's a consistent level of quality that Bowen has/had that seems to be a rarity in the hobby. The way they kept the overall aesthetic in line given the number of artists that've worked with Bowen is pretty impressive.

Quote:
lol you're fine, I don't think you're coming off as a jerk at all. I feel like we can talk about stuff like this without arguing. I do get what you're saying and trust me I'm not attacking Bowen because I bought a lot of them so I am a fan. I guess what I'm saying is (as someone else stated about old Sideshow pieces) why I said he had to step his game up was because they have to evolve and change with the times and that older Bowen stuff to me, is a no in today's world. And I'm sorry about the DS comment lol :P
lol no worries. I will ask that you pay for the hole in my wall, though.
Philintheblank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 02:43 AM   #93
cf79
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Scratch View Post
It's the statue that stopped me from getting into statues because it was so awesome I knew I would lose all control and become destitute from collecting statues.
That's a compliment.
It really is a masterpiece and so cleverly done.
You are the common sense Bizarro version of me. Or maybe I’m the Bizarro version of you.
cf79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 04:54 AM   #94
Vecchio1
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
You're allowed to disagree lol. That's why we all have opinions and can voice them. I don't think it's KOTO though.
It was for a short period, about 2 years. Sosa made some masterpieces. Anyone with a decent setup in the 1/6th game acknowledges the DRS line. X-Men wise Koto owned. Bowen filled the incompletes. (Jean, Hank, Iceman, Bishop, and Prof X).
Vecchio1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 09:05 AM   #95
alshadow
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

It's incredible how Koto went from consistently producing 1/6 statues to barely anything in recent years. Sosa really made a lot of winners in that time.
alshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 10:48 AM   #96
KaraFan
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philintheblank View Post

lol no worries. I will ask that you pay for the hole in my wall, though.
lmao!
KaraFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 10:50 AM   #97
KaraFan
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJC View Post
Koto is the only direct competition for Bowen in the States. Neither sideshow or XM release 1/6 Marvel statues. You're comparing apples to oranges. I don't know many collectors who buy 1/5 or 1/4 scale statues and display them with their 1/6 collection.

If collectors want to start, add to, or finish off a 1/6 collection, they would turn to Bowen Designs to make that happen. His return would be greatly anticipated.
OK you are talking about size so I get that and will agree. I'm talking quality, sculpt, paint, etc... I buy all sizes and put them together. That doesn't matter to me if I like something well enough.
KaraFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 01:52 PM   #98
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecchio1 View Post
It was for a short period, about 2 years. Sosa made some masterpieces. Anyone with a decent setup in the 1/6th game acknowledges the DRS line. X-Men wise Koto owned. Bowen filled the incompletes. (Jean, Hank, Iceman, Bishop, and Prof X).
Agreed! Koto/Sosa's Gambit, Psylocke, Colossus, and Magneto all look phenomenal, and at the very least, hold up to any version of those characters Bowen released. For some collectors, they even surpass them. I personally think that Sosa's Koto Spidey and Magneto are the gold standard for the characters in 1/6 scale.
Old 01-22-2021, 01:53 PM   #99
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alshadow View Post
It's incredible how Koto went from consistently producing 1/6 statues to barely anything in recent years. Sosa really made a lot of winners in that time.
He most certainly did. He's an incredibly talented sculptor.
Old 01-22-2021, 02:00 PM   #100
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
OK you are talking about size so I get that and will agree. I'm talking quality, sculpt, paint, etc... I buy all sizes and put them together. That doesn't matter to me if I like something well enough.
There's nothing wrong with mixing scales together in a collection. Just like there's nothing wrong with being OCD and displaying everything separately according to scale. I fall into the latter category. That said, I still think the quality, sculpt, and paint on most Bowen pieces are excellent and have only gotten better as time went on for BD. I guess that's a topic we'll just have to agree to disagree on.