Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 02-25-2021, 03:49 PM   #461
bytor33
Frackin!

Well I received the replacement head sculpt and it looks great. I go to put it on the statue though and it pops out! The magnet polarity must be wrong. Has anyone else experienced this or have any easy solution?
bytor33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 05:37 AM   #462
Dundee
Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytor33 View Post
Well I received the replacement head sculpt and it looks great. I go to put it on the statue though and it pops out! The magnet polarity must be wrong. Has anyone else experienced this or have any easy solution?
Glad to hear the replacement turned out better but that really sucks, another QA oversight. If indeed a polarity issue, they might need to make another head, as not even glue can hold it down forever.

After my horrible experience with the battle damage megatron bust (first head came with broken jaw and multiple fin pieces broken off, replacement head was the incorrect version and warped so badly it couldn't even fit in the torso and Prime 1 said it was not defective lol). Took more pics and they retracted and said we can send a third head. I said no more, was over it, requested a refund, had to smash the statue for a second time. My 1/2 scale endo turned out good but I don't know if I could ever buy from these guys again until they sort out their QA department.
Dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 12:40 PM   #463
Halcyon
New Republic

Quote:
Sometimes this happens, very bad luck.
Most of time there is not much material around the magnet (with pegs). So if you want to remove the magnet the resin edges will break/crack etc.
And you already paid 50$ for this replacement. Prime has to come with good solution. If not ask for 150$ (100 for fixing and 50 for the shipping you lost).
Goodluck with it.
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 10:07 PM   #464
bytor33
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
Sometimes this happens, very bad luck.
Most of time there is not must material around the magnet (with pegs). So if you want to remove the magnet the resin edges will break/crack etc.
And you already paid 50$ for this replacement. Prime has to come with good solution. If not ask for 150$ (100 for fixing and 50 for the shipping you lost).
Goodluck with it.
Thank you for the suggestions. Do you know the best way to remove the magnet? Would heating the peg up with a hair dryer or something help to break it free easier? The magnet is close to the edge of the peg at least. Also, I'm curious how this could even happen. Why wouldn't they just use the same magnet polarity for all head sculpts so they never run into this problem? Or at the very least test it out before sending it to me.

Prime responded that they have no replacement head sculpts and will fix the original one I sent back. Of course I'm a little wary of how well they're going to actually fix it and they said it will take a long time. I'm kind of at a loss on how to even deal with them at this point, but I'll try asking for my shipping cost back.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:41 PM   #465
pdenham
Teen Titans

bytor, can you post a couple pictures of the head and the peg?

I'm curious how much you have to work with here.
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 03:49 AM   #466
bytor33
Frackin!

Here's a pic of the peg and magnet.
https://ibb.co/7SHpJq2
Old 02-27-2021, 03:52 AM   #467
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Here's a pic of the peg and magnet.
https://ibb.co/7SHpJq2
That looks easy to easy out and flip over. With a spot of glue to hold it in. Rapid set Araldite is the best bet. Super strong stuff.
ukshaun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 05:55 PM   #468
67L88Stingray
Doc Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post
That looks easy to easy out and flip over. With a spot of glue to hold it in. Rapid set Araldite is the best bet. Super strong stuff.
The peg will probably break at least some getting the magnet out if they applied any decent amount of adhesive, but it shouldn't be hard to repair if he can keep it from fracturing too much.

This isn't a new issue, it happens once in a while to any company. I have had a few myself. They don't take the time to check fitment usually during QC.
67L88Stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 04:00 AM   #469
ukshaun
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67L88Stingray View Post
The peg will probably break at least some getting the magnet out if they applied any decent amount of adhesive, but it shouldn't be hard to repair if he can keep it from fracturing too much.

This isn't a new issue, it happens once in a while to any company. I have had a few myself. They don't take the time to check fitment usually during QC.
Given the size of the peg, does it need a magnet?
If you plan on keeping the piece forever, then you could simply Araldite the peg in place. The magnet would burnout over time.
ukshaun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 08:19 AM   #470
Halcyon
New Republic

Quote:
Do you know the best way to remove the magnet? Would heating the peg up with a hair dryer or something help to break it free easier? The magnet is close to the edge of the peg at least. Also, I'm curious how this could even happen. Why wouldn't they just use the same magnet polarity for all head sculpts so they never run into this problem? Or at the very least test it out before sending it to me.
Normally magnets are round and peg smaller, so I think this should be no big problem to repair. Magnet is not thick either and peg has height. So even when some small parts of peg break away, you can fill it up afterwards. Best statue repair (modeling and filler) is Milliput 2K Putty (really sticks to any surface and turns into stonelike material).

If I had to fix your magnet. I would drill a hole (3mm diameter) Center punch the drill spot first, just below the corner of the magnet (front side of your picture).
Drill (close as possible) underneath the magnet surface (90%) the length of the magnet. Remove the drill-bit, take it in your hand and stick it with the shaft side in the same hole (or use other hard metall rod) and pry this gently upwards. Yes, you could use hairdryer at this point to try if glue get softer and then gently pry upwards. Protect the hairdo against to much heat with small cloth or something.

Clean magnet, super-glue it back. If some edges of peg are broken, fill this up with 2K Putty (or air hardening clay, because there will not be any force on this peg). You don't have to paint anything either, bcs not visible.

If you are not handy yourself, ask one of your friends. Goodluck!
Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote